Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 8, 2006, 12:04 PM   #1

Just received our new *istDS with kit lens. We've been playing with the unit indoors in dim light and see how the flash "stutters" (so to speak) to assist the auto-focus. However, there are time when we depress the shutter release fully (after a few seconds of a half-press) and the camera just won't shoot. I'm assuming this is because the auto-focus has not yet "locked in" and we haven't heard the beep.

Short of flipping the switch on the camera body from AF to MF, is there a menu setting that would let us override the auto-focus so fully depressing the shutter release actually forces the camera to shoot?

Thanks.

PS I should mention that the firmware has been fully updated to v2.01
themacguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2006, 12:20 PM   #2

There should be a custom function in the menu which controls what the OK button does in capture mode, one choice is to enable focus, so the shutter button no longer focuses the camer, and the other disables AF when you want it to.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 12:21 PM   #3

Switching the body button from AF to MF is a convenient overide

When you get an AF lock on, you will get a steady green dot in your viewfinder.

Back off your zoom to wide, this will help you get a 'lock on' in low light and if thisworks, then at least you know it is just a focussing issue.

norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 12:31 PM   #4

I've had my *isdDS about 18 months & it's auto focus system is pretty good - excepting those situations highlighted in the user manual.

In low light, I tend to put the camera on AUTO, pop up the flash which will fire (sometimes burst fire several flashes) when required to focus assist & set the exposure.

Firmware shouldn't be an issue excepting, if memory serves me right, there's a mode now for CONTINUOUS FOCUS - set this to Single.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 12:31 AM   #5

Thanks for all the advice. I've also found that setting the camera to "sports" (moving-object) mode permits me to shoot even if focus hasn't locked. Probably not a good setting for indoors unless I have the flash on.

I'll post some photos in the next few days once I get more comfortable and have gotten my wife trained; it is supposed to be for her. (However, she alluded to a white gold with yellow diamonds bracelet as something that might have been a better gift; hmmm, I may have gotten a message upon which I may have to act if only for marital bliss, eh?)

:idea:

Barry
themacguy is offline   Reply With Quote