Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 9, 2006, 3:43 PM   #1

LBA stops domestic harmony.

However, I bought this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...%3AIT&rd=1

Any thoughts from the experts.

Please don't say I bought rubbish or I will be in trouble!

Darren

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2006, 4:47 PM   #2

well....... for 70usd it's not bad. this is the same lens mntgal, harriet, has and pentax probably relabels it as their own. it's a 1:2 macro and you need the diopter to get to 1:1. it's suposse to be a badly built lens that gives outstanding results.. let the images answer you're question.. i'm ready to see some ...

roy
Old Oct 9, 2006, 4:56 PM   #3

What is the dioptre I need? Is this the +1 filter or something special?

Darren
Old Oct 9, 2006, 5:05 PM   #4

that lens should come with a lens that's like a filter, screws on the front of the lens to get you to 1:1. the pentax, cosina, vivitar, phoenixall came with them.
they are all the same lens
roy
Old Oct 9, 2006, 5:11 PM   #5

heh I was thinkig about buying this one. ended up with Sigma 50mm Macro for 60$ with shipping. sorry but I don't know anything about this one.

I read somewhere that for 1:2 colose up the best thing is Vivitar 135mm Close Focus. it can focus from 20 inches to achieve 1:2 magnification.

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 5:22 PM   #6

greg,
is that the f2.8?? if so you got a good deal.

roy
Old Oct 10, 2006, 8:11 AM   #7

It does sound like the Phoenix lens I have. Make sure it comes with the matchedattachment - it is like a dioper filter- to go to 1:1. I bought mine new from B&H for under $150 as I recall, so assuming it in good condition and it comes with the filter, you did OK.

I really like the lens - it is very sharp and easy to use (other than remembering to take off or put on the filter when needed). The Phoenix version is very light, great for hiking. However, the AF does NOT have a clutch so you either accept whatever the camera sets for focus or turn AF off and manually focus (I usually end up doing that anyway). Don't try to fine-tune the focus on the lens if the camera is set to AF. The light-weight plastic seems to be sturdier than it feels or looks.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 12:08 PM   #8

robar wrote:
Quote:
that lens should come with a lens that's like a filter, screws on the front of the lens to get you to 1:1. the pentax, cosina, vivitar, phoenixall came with them.
they are all the same lens
roy
No filter with this one. The lens focussing ring has MAG (yellow)/METERS(green)/FEET(white) on it. The MAG line has an extra line of number above in red. Yellow starts at 1:2X while the red starts at 1:1X. I assume the red line would be used with the diopter.

Darren
Old Oct 10, 2006, 4:32 PM   #9

roy: i got this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...%3AIT&rd=1

when this auction ended thare was couple more of them listed with 1 day left but they were over 70$ apiece. now I just have to wait for it to come.

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 5:15 PM   #10

If you look at the ebay page you posted, you'll see a link to the same lens in a Canon mount (last one of 4). It shows the attachment that is sold as part of the lens mounted on the end. Even without it the lens is very sharp and will do 1:2.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote