Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 11, 2006, 12:01 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
wadue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 914
Default

That's why I use a Yahoo! e-mail account. Their spam blocker is pretty good. About all that I get is an occasional letter announcing that I've won the British lottery or someone from Uganda looking for an American partner in a business deal:G. Also, when we got our new computer in April, I made sure to buy a copy of Norton's allinone...antispy, antivirus, data recovery...has been worth every penny so far, knock on wood.

Good luck, Roy!

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 8:05 AM   #12
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Savannah, GA (USA)
Posts: 22,378
Default

wadue wrote:
Quote:
Also, when we got our new computer in April, I made sure to buy a copy of Norton's allinone...antispy, antivirus, data recovery...has been worth every penny so far, knock on wood.
It came on the last name brand PC I bought (a reconditioned Dell 8300 that someone had paid for Norton with, so I got it too).

After I realized how many problems it was causing (hogging PC resources, multiple Outlook crashes per day, etc.), I removed it (which was a chore in itself), even though I still had months left on the subscription. My PC ran *Much* better after I got rid of it.

I wouldn't use it if they offered it free for life. Perhaps they've improved the newer versions. But, I was definitely not impressed (a huge understatement).

I used to like Peter Norton's utilities (back when Peter was actually writing them) for use with DOS many years ago. They've saved me more than once. But, the new stuff is pretty bad IMO (and I've seen a lot of others share that opinion).

If it works for you, great. Personally, I use AVG Antivirus combined with Zone Alarm for a Firewall, along with frequent checks using Adaware and Spybot S&D when I'm in Windows (and I don't use Windows XP any more than necessary, as I tend to run in Linux most of the time). AVG and Zone Alarm appear to take far less in the way of resources compared to Norton.



JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:01 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Catbells's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 874
Default

JimC wrote:
Quote:
wadue wrote:
Quote:
Also, when we got our new computer in April, I made sure to buy a copy of Norton's allinone...antispy, antivirus, data recovery...has been worth every penny so far, knock on wood.
It came on the last name brand PC I bought (a reconditioned Dell 8300 that someone had paid for Norton with, so I got it too).

After I realized how many problems it was causing (hogging PC resources, multiple Outlook crashes per day, etc.), I removed it (which was a chore in itself), even though I still had months left on the subscription. My PC ran *Much* better after I got rid of it.

I wouldn't use it if they offered it free for life. Perhaps they've improved the newer versions. But, I was definitely not impressed (a huge understatement).
I use Norton Internet Security 2003 with built in AntiVirus. I refuse to use any later version than this as it slows down the PC something cronic with check this, check that before opening programs and/or any associated files.

I've been informed that Zone Alarm has been bought out (sorry don't remember who by) and that now is not nearly as good as previous versions.

It seems that you cant just have an AntiVirus program - it's got to be called 2006Somethingin that year so that when the year 2007 comes around, they got to have 'upgraded it' to encourage you buy it. So for upgrade read - slow things down more.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:54 AM   #14
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Savannah, GA (USA)
Posts: 22,378
Default

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
I use Norton Internet Security 2003 with built in AntiVirus. I refuse to use any later version than this as it slows down the PC something cronic with check this, check that before opening programs and/or any associated files.
I checked my notes and previous posts I made about it elsewhere (in another forum thread where someone was having problems with Norton), and the version I removed was Norton Internet Security 2003. :-)

I thought it was resource hog. If the newer versions are even worse, then I definitely wouldn't want it on my PC. lol

I tried to improve it by disabling some of the features I didn't want, since Norton had a Security Center icon that let me turn off everything except for the Anti Spam (and that's what I did, using AVG Antivirus and Zone Alarm for other protection Instead (since these take much less in the way of resources compared to Norton).

But, the Live Update feature kept running, bugging me to update the products I wasn't using anyway.

My PC was noticeably slower with the Norton Products running, even though was a relatively fast for a PC when I bought it (3.0Ghz P4 with HT, 800mhz FSB, 1GB RAM, fast SATA drive, etc.). Also, Norton's Anti-Spam had a bad habit of crashing my e-mail (Outlook 2003) when I was downloading a lot of messages at a time.

The Norton Spam filter really wasn't working very well anyway (Outlook caught more of them with it's junk mail filter than Norton caught, and using the "This is Spam" button with Norton Anti-Spam was very slow.

So, I finally used the add/remove software feature in Control Panel and uninstalled *all* Norton Products (even though I had months left paid for with them). This took several steps, since multiple products were installed.

Anyway, my PC ran *much* better with no Norton products installed, with no more crashes of Outlook either.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 11:01 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
ennacac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,198
Default

I ran Norton on my Mac just to be safe and it slowed thing down so much the frustration was too much for me and I got rid of it. It was simply amazing how much is slowed down my computer, and I mean really slow, even though I have a fast processor and tons of RAM.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 12:38 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Black Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Oxford, CT
Posts: 1,309
Default

Catbells: the only problem with running a older version Of Norton Is that They Will Stop haveing New Virus def's A few Years Down the road.

Jim C: I'm with you. I Dumped Norton several years Ago, it was one issue after another. On My lower use PCs i use AVG Free , Zone Alarm free and Counterspy. On My Main PC i use Kaspersky, Kerio 4 and Counterspy. I use T-Bird for E-mail and it has a Great built in Spam Filter.

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 1:21 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Catbells's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 874
Default

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
Catbells: the only problem with running a older version Of Norton Is that They Will Stop having New Virus def's A few Years Down the road.
I'll worry about if & when it happens - life too short to worry unnecessarily.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 1:55 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,974
Default

Try going to Filehippo.com. They have programs mentioned here (have the latestup to date build)and I personally use a PC and a wireless laptop that I am using right now.

Programs I use are avast for anti-virus and trojans and sygate for my firewall.

I also use Spybot 1.4, CCleaner and Lavasoft Adaware.

No problems so far with using them for the last two years.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:40 AM.