Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 10, 2006, 5:35 PM   #1

I've been asked to shoot pics during a concert. (I was a last minute option, boss waited too late to get the 'regular' photographer.) I want to make sure I get some good pics. The previous photogs have been James Fraher and Peter Damroth. (both are pretty much World Famous) No, there isn't any pressure on me. :crazy:

I've been asked that I NOT use flash, as this is also being recorded for Video and CD. But, he says If I have to, I can.

Will probably have a chance to take some 'test' shots the day before.

I will be using my *istDS w/18-55 kit lens. Possibly also my SMC FA 4.5-5.6 80-320mm. Will also be carrying around a Canon Digital Rebel.
Any tips/advice? Prefered settings? :idea:

Give ya an idea of the lighting conditions, here is a link to the web site with previous photos. http://www.blueheavenstudios.com/index.cfm?get=gallery

Thanks,

Ron

macshak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2006, 5:54 PM   #2

All I would say, is that unless the stage is well lit, you will struggle with those lenses and no flash.

Set the aperature wide, and the ISO to 800/1600 and try it. Generally, for concerts (usually indoors), a fast aperature of 2.8, 2, 1.7, 1.4 are preferred.

Just my opinion after trying to shoot a band at the local pub, with stage lighting.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 6:31 PM   #3

I don't know how much reach you are going to need, so that is certainly a factor. After seeing the difference betweent the kit lens and a 50mm 1.7 in a fairly well lit room with no flash I really think you will need a wider aperture in a concert. Maybe if you can lay hands on a fast 50mm and a 135 mm 2.8 prime? Good luck, it sounds like a nice assignment.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 6:41 PM   #4

Thanks for the comments.
Another employee has a 200 lens I can borrow for the Canon. Don't know how fast it is yet. Unfortunately, the kit lens is the fastest I have. And no $$ for a faster one at this point. (maybe good opportunity to ask for a raise! :G )

I will probably be looking at least 15-20 feet. Have to stay behind the video crew.

Maybe the local camera shop has one I can rent?

Thanks again.

Hopefully I will have something to post this weekend.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 6:42 PM   #5

A 50mm f1.7 or f1.4 will work well (probably shoot at ISO 800). If you use the kit lens, you'll have to be pretty close to be able to use flash with any success at all. If you can even find a f2.8 prime of any sort you'll be better off than with just the kit lens or the other zoom. The photo here was shot with a 50mm f1.4 manual lens...
Attached Images

Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 8:27 PM   #6

Rickst. That reminded me that I have a 1:2 50mm sitting in my closet.
Was still on my old K1000. Haven't used it in years.

Been playing around with it, and it just might work, if I can't find anything else.

Thanks for jogging my memory.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 8:32 PM   #7

The built in flash is only good for a few feet at most. You need a much more powerful external flash if you are going to use one at all. With no useable flash and slow lenses you are not going to be able to get any good shots if the light is not bright enough. If the light is bright enough to get ok shutter speeds then your gear is fine. This is an all-or-nothing situation here. You will either get lots of great shots or none at all.
Looking at the link I would go out and get at least a fast 50mm or a good flash.
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 11:46 PM   #8

I can only confirm what the others say. In my film days I shot a lot of concerts, always using a A*85 mm lens. With the digital crop factor, I find the FA 50 mm 1.4 works pretty well. This is not a masterpiece, but shows somehow what you can get with it. I'd not use flash, as stage light is often well composed and gives depth to the image. The flash flattens everything, IMO.

SMC-FA f1.4 @ f2, 1/125 sec, ISO 400

Kjell
Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 12:00 PM   #9

Well, I think I have resolved the lens problem. But, it also means I have to use the Canon. One of the guys at work has a nice set of Canon prime lenses. 50mm 1.4 /85mm 1.4 /200mm 1.8. Been playing around with them this morning. Wow! What a diffference.

Guess it's time to start my xmas list for my *ist DS.

Thanks all for the comments.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 2:06 PM   #10

I think you have a 1:2 50mm at home and your gear is not exactly slouch either. Well maybe you can borrow a 50mm 1.7 or 1.4 which should be sharper and still quite inexpensive to obtain. Why don't you also take a couple of pix and compare with the result of the supposedly superior Canon gear.

O shoot raw if possible.

And post some pix. That will be interesting

Daniel

macshak wrote:
Quote:
Well, I think I have resolved the lens problem. But, it also means I have to use the Canon. One of the guys at work has a nice set of Canon prime lenses. 50mm 1.4 /85mm 1.4 /200mm 1.8. Been playing around with them this morning. Wow! What a diffference.

Guess it's time to start my xmas list for my *ist DS.

Thanks all for the comments.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote