Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 11, 2006, 2:45 AM   #1

Thanks to all of you who helped me with this problem a few months ago. I tried to find the original post but couldn't. Anyway, I tried all the advice given - reset camera to original settings, play with exposure, etc. Nothing worked. Returning to the camera shop was going to be challenging, as I am currently living in Slovakia, and though they definitely have camera stores, the people who work in them don't speak much English.

I kept noodling at it, and remembered when the camera was brand, brand just out of the box new, I hadn't had this problem. So what changed, I kept wondering. Then it came to me in a flash (forgive the pun) - the only thing that had really changed was the batteries.

So, I put in a new set of photo grade batteries - and ta da! I am in love with my new camera. The colors are brilliant, the contrast spot on, the photos lovely. So, here is hoping if I pass this info along, some other newbie will benefit down the road.

I tried and tried to get a photo or two the right size to post, but that proved a challenge and I haven't figured it out yet. Here's hoping - one thing at time.

Thanks again for your help!
nikita356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2006, 8:56 AM   #2

Way to go! glad to hear that your problem was so easy to fix, even though perplexing. good reminder for all of us - batteries do make a difference!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 9:24 AM   #3

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...573889#p573889

That it was the batteries is quite interesting to me...... seems odd, though possible I suppose. Just glad it worked out.
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 9:50 AM   #4

I don't want to sound the doubting Thomas, but.

Batteries provide energy which electronics require to function properly. Most electronic circuits require a minimum voltage to operate at, below that they basically just stop working.

I use 2300mAHNiHi batteries (nikita356doesn't state if the new set of photo grade batteries are NiHi or alkaline) which power the camera completely satisfactory until they eventually die (discharge, I mean) - there is absolutely no difference in the quality of the images taken between the first to the very last shot.

My experience of alkaline batteries is that basically, they are not worth the effort providing exceeding short life & only should be used as the last resort.

I rather suspect that nikita356has mastered a few basic techniques since owning his *istDL.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:00 AM   #5
Administrator

nikita356 wrote:
Quote:
I tried and tried to get a photo or two the right size to post, but that proved a challenge and I haven't figured it out yet. Here's hoping - one thing at time.
I copied the following from another recent post:

You may want to give Irfanview a try (it's free).

To use it for resizing, simply open an image using File>Open.

Then, use the menu choice you'll fine for Image>Resize/Resample.

Click the "Set New Size" box, make the width around 640 pixels wide, with the "Preserve Aspect Ratio" box checked (so that it keeps the same dimensions of width to height) and click OK.

[img]attachment.php?id=78174[/img]

Then, just use the File>Save As menu option, select a folder to save it to (it may default to a different one than you opened the image from), give it a new filename (for example, ChuckResized1), and set the JPEG Quality slider you see come up to around 80 (higher quality = larger file size, lower quality=smaller file size).

Around 80 should keep the file size within forum software limits for an image with those dimensions (around 640 pixels or so wide). The maximum file size allowed is around 250,000 bytes. So, it will need to be around 240KB or smaller to attach.

If it still won't attach because it's too large (unlikely), set the quality slider to a lower value until the file size is around 200KB for the saved file (if it won't attach, it's still too large).

Most editors will work in a similar manner (you'll find a jpeg quality slider somewhere to help control the file size after you resize the dimensions).

[img]attachment.php?id=78175[/img]

You need to attach a photo that's on your local PCusing the Browse Button you'll see under the text entry screen when you're typing or editing a post here.

Illustrated Guide to Posting Images

If you upload it to a publically viewable web site, then you can use the [img]images/buttons/image.gif[/img] button you'll see instead (but, that won't work for a photo on your local hard disk).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:06 AM   #6

Interesting, I discovered some time ago that the Lanczos filter produces sharper images at smaller file sizes than the other bicubic etc.

I use Digital Camera Enhance (with enhancements turned off as I do this in Photoshop) to resize down.

Might just Irfanview a go instead - if it supports batch files.

WARNING.

If you install Irfan View 3.98 TURN OFF the Google toolbar & Google Desktop Search as this will install spyware tracking software on your PC.

Attached Images

Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:12 AM   #7
Administrator

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
Interesting, I discovered some time ago that the Lanczos filter produces sharper images at smaller file sizes than the other bicubic etc.

I use Digital Camera Enhance (with enhancements turned off as I do this in Photoshop) to resize down.

Might just Irfanview a go instead - if it supports batch files.
The following was copied from a response I made another thread, too (this subject comes up from time to time). :-)

You can either convert one image at a time (under Image, Resize/Resample), or you can convert multiple photos using Batch Mode.

To use Batch Mode, go to "File, Thumbnails" and select a folder. Then, use the "File, Start Batch Dialog with Selected Thumbnails" menu choice. You can add more photos to the ones you want to process then.

Make sure to select a different output directory so that you don't overwrite the originals (especially since you don't want to ruin them if you make a mistake). Also, make sure to select the "Options" button by your file format you're saving in (which should default to jpeg), so that you can select the desired JPEG Quality via a Quality Slider.

Then, select the "Advanced" button and you'll have lot of options (including resizing, converting to grayscale, etc.).

Here is a screen capture...

If you're not using batch mode (converting one file at a time instead), when you use the save aschoice under the file menu, you can set the file type and options there.

[img]attachment.php?id=19532[/img]
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:27 AM   #8

I've just done a quick comparison & DCE comes out sharper than Irfanview for file sizes of 130k
Attached Images

Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:40 AM   #9
Administrator

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
I've just done a quick comparison & DCE comes out sharper than Irfanview
Then it's probably doing more than just resizing (i.e., sharpening at the same time), or the jpeg compression being used is set to a different amount.

If you use batch mode with Irfanview, you can also apply other edits at the same time (sharpening, contrast, saturation, gamma, etc.).

The sharpening algorithms in Irfanview aren't too bad, either, if you stay with conservative settings. I typically don't move the slider up to more than around 6 or 7.

To see how well different settings work with a single image, use the Image, Effects, Effects Browser Menu choice to select Sharpening (the menu option for Sharpen wil use the last used settings versus allowing you to vary how much is applied).

Then, just plug in the same numerical value for sharpening when you do similar photos in batch mode. The same applies to other edits (note the the value you see when applying edits, and use the same value in the Advanced screens for batch processing).

Old Oct 11, 2006, 11:02 AM   #10

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Catbells wrote:
Quote:
I've just done a quick comparison & DCE comes out sharper than Irfanview
Then it's probably doing more than just resizing (i.e., sharpening at the same time), or the jpeg compression being used is set to a different amount.
'Fraid not - just a straight resize. It must be the way that DCE applies the Lanzcos algorithm - obviously there are less pixels when resizing & the way that DCE appears to do it creates a resulting sharper image.

I also adjusted the compression so that both files came out at 130k so they were both reduced from 4Mbyte (3008x2008 )to 130kbyte (730x487) i.e. same compression.