Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 11, 2006, 5:18 AM   #1

I just received this email from Mike (mgedit), any ideas?

"For some reason, I've lost contact with the Pentax list. I see the list of topics but soon after I lose my Internet connection. My internet access is via satellite (xplornet.com) and over the last 3-4 days every time I try to access the site my modem almost immediately resets and I lose my connection. This only seems to occur with the Pentax site ... all others sites I've tried seem to still work properly. So the issue appears to be site-specific. I would like to ask if anyone else on the list has satellite access and has had (or is having) similar problems ... if so, have you been able to resolve them. I've made no changes to settings or hardware recently, and scan regularly for virus and other computer garbage. This same thing has occurred once or twice before, but cleared itself up within an hour or so, so I assumed it was some site problem that had been resolved. This time it seems more "permanent".

Is there is a technical person affiliated with the site who might be able to help? Anyone have any other ideas? It is indeed strange that the issue is site-specific.

I feel lost without my daily dose of Pentax chatter :-) Any suggestions most welcome.

Cheers, Mike"

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2006, 5:47 AM   #2

reset your modem/router
delete your cache and offline pages
delete cookies

all under >tools>internet options if using IE

roy
Old Oct 11, 2006, 6:45 AM   #3

Tell him to first update his browser
Then try the Firefox browser, (Internet Explorer if FF is his default)
That would solve the problem if there's something on the page thats freaking out his modem.

Another thing he could try is http://www.amegaproxy.com (click 'try it free')
If there's some kind of routing/connection problem from him to this site then the proxy could help (but only as a temporary solution)

Pretty strange whatever is causing it...
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 11:09 AM   #4

Thanks to Ida for being the messenger, and to robar and nadnerb for the suggestions ... I'm back with Firefox, but IE is still causing more problems. After deleting cookies and temp files IE is pretty much toast ... can't access my own homepage now. I believe I have the most recent version of IE. Definitely something weird happening. In any case, I will work away at solving the IE issues.

It is indeed nice to be back in the community :-)

Cheers, Mike

mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 11:37 AM   #5

Mike - I had the same problem with this site a couple days ago. I am on a DSL and when I tried to pull up Steve's site, it would disconnect from the DSL. I just figured the site was down or something and the next day when I tried everything worked fine. Everytime I delete my cookies, I have to start all over again remembering what password accessed what forum. Kind of a pain isn't it. I also run I/E and they don't have all the bugs out of it yet. I'm sure the McAfees Security Centerstuff I have slows things down too, but I'm afraid not to use it anymore- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 12:36 PM   #6

You may also try a restore to an earlier date, one when the computer was working. This is done from the systems tools menu, a sub menu of the accessories menu.
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 2:35 PM   #7

I have both Firefox and IE and I find that Firefox does strange things when I try to quote from previous posts, as a result I use IE just for this site???

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 2:48 PM   #8

I now have access via Firefox and IE. Both are working as of just now. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Ira, I also have had problems with Firefox in the past ... that's why I went back to using IE most often for all browsing.

Hopefully my next post will be Pentax content specific. Thanks again to everyone who helped bring me back from the dead!

Cheers, Mike

mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 4:00 PM   #9

ditto with me as well and i thought the site was down
i am sure it originated from steve's site as it was down for both my home and office comp running opera, firefox, netscape (and i .e. as the last resort)
it had not much to do with browser setting at all
the problem is gone now of course

daniel

bper wrote:
Quote:
Mike - I had the same problem with this site a couple days ago. I am on a DSL and when I tried to pull up Steve's site, it would disconnect from the DSL. I just figured the site was down or something and the next day when I tried everything worked fine. Everytime I delete my cookies, I have to start all over again remembering what password accessed what forum. Kind of a pain isn't it. I also run I/E and they don't have all the bugs out of it yet. I'm sure the McAfees Security Centerstuff I have slows things down too, but I'm afraid not to use it anymore- Bruce
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 4:09 PM   #10

I too could not access the forums part of Steves site a couple of days ago, but it wouldn't crash, I just could not access that part of the site, but I could access everything else.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote