Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 11, 2006, 8:23 PM   #1

I own the Pentax DS and have been shooting jpeg only. I only did a few shots in raw before and did not notice much difference when viewing online. When I shot in raw, I used the pentax program to do the converion. I was told that I can do the same thing with PS CS. I tried it but CS was not able to convert the files. Is there something that I did wrong or does it NOT support our Pentax raw?

Kinda off topic, but does anyone know of CS supports raw from canon or nikon?

btw, I tried to do a search on this because I am sure it has been asked, but the search button does not work right now.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2006, 9:19 PM   #2

after MANUALLY searching through the pages, I found the answer. If anyone found this page under a search you need a plug in called "Camera Raw 2.4" from adobe which could be dowloaded here

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=2701

Just apply the plug in and you are ready to go. I know on that link it does not list our pentax system but it works.

FYI, PS CS2 should be able to work because it has the updates on it already.

superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:06 PM   #3

FWIW if I convert a RAW file in CS using ACR it permanently converts the PEF file, while if I do the same conversion in CS2 using ACR the PEF file is not permanently converted. With CS2 there is a small file attatched to the PEF file, that if deleated will put the file back to where it was when shot.

I would only convert copies of your PEF files, not the originals in CS just to be safe.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:46 PM   #4

Tom - in CS2, you can open a raw file as a copy (hold down the shift key, I think, before clicking on the open button). That doesn't create/attach the small separate file, leaves the original file alone. Doesn't CS give you the option of opening the file as a copy (I've never used CS)?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 11:38 PM   #5

All proprietary RAW files store their settings in sidecar files, with an .xmp extention. DNG is a publically documented format that is able to keep the settings in the file itself wthout altering the RAW data.

I use the Adobe DNG converter to import RAW files, they're converted to DNG with all data intact. It also bodes well for being able to read the files in the future.

nnacac wrote:
Quote:
FWIW if I convert a RAW file in CS using ACR it permanently converts the PEF file, while if I do the same conversion in CS2 using ACR the PEF file is not permanently converted. With CS2 there is a small file attatched to the PEF file, that if deleated will put the file back to where it was when shot.

I would only convert copies of your PEF files, not the originals in CS just to be safe.

Tom
danag42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 11:48 PM   #6

Well for some reason my copy of ACR does not write the sidecar files in CS, but it does in CS2.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote