Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 11, 2006, 9:23 PM   #1

I tooksome pictures at my daughters field hockey game today, unfortunately they're mostlyfrom behind so I missed out onfacial expressions and I would have liked the second one if it hadn'tcome outblurry. I'm a newbie and it shows!!:-)I was using my DA 50-200in auto.

JeanneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:08 PM   #2

The conditions look overcast. These were all shot at ISO 200.In these conditions youshould try bumping up the ISO to 800 or even higher. This would give you the ability to use a faster shutter speed to freeze the action. It would also allow you to stop down the lens more and get more depth of field. You got some good shots to start. Shooting sports is hard to do. I'm still trying also.
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:17 PM   #3

Thanks for the tips and yes, it was overcast and it did cross my mind at one point that maybe I should bump the ISO up but I'm so new to understanding how and when to change settings that I decided against it, I figured I would be "safe" in auto.I knowin order to getthe quality pictures that a dSLR is capable of I need to learn how to get out of auto.

Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:58 PM   #4

Don't worry about getting out of auto - it's no big deal and you'll be surprised at how easy it really is. If you just go out somewhere and play with the settings under a number of conditions, then you'll have a better idea of just what the camera can do. It's one thing to know theoretically that a faster shutter speed will freeze action - it doesn't become real until you try to see what effect various shutter speeds had on a particular subject (I spent a lovely lunch time taking pictures of a tiny waterfall in a botanical garden, and am still playing with taking pictures of hummingbirds, haven't gotten them figured out yet).

The neat thing about digital is that you get instant fedback and can see results to the changes you make. And it doesn't cost anything to play around.

Try taking some pictures at higher ISOs to see how much noisethey add to your pictures (and maybe think about downloading NeatImage or Noise Ninja, both good noise reduction software).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 11:43 AM   #5

Jeanne

If you go into the Fn button and select right on the 4 way dial it will take you tothe ISO settings, push down on the 4 way dial and select ISO 400 or 800 and Ok, You will see that you can get faster shutter shots to reduce the motion blur.

Don't forget to reset it back to ISO200 when you have finished.

Try the Av position and select say f/4 or f/5.6 by rotating the edial at the rear of the camera andyou will see the Tv setting (shutter speed) will adjust accordingly. Try to keep it up near 1/250-1/500 sec if possible.

On a bright sunny day you should be able to shoot at f/8 ot f/11 and still have a shutter up near 1/750sec or so, that should give you enoughshutter speed to freeze the action and the f/8 or f/11 aperture should give a deep enough Depth of Field so all players and ballare in focus.

Enjoy and remember, practice now when it doesn't matter, not when you are trying to get that ONE Perfect Shot. you will be surprised at how quickly you will come to terms with the camera and what you can do to get YOUR perfect shots.

Crash

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 6:32 PM   #6

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
Jeanne

If you go into the Fn button and select right on the 4 way dial it will take you tothe ISO settings, push down on the 4 way dial and select ISO 400 or 800 and Ok, You will see that you can get faster shutter shots to reduce the motion blur.

Don't forget to reset it back to ISO200 when you have finished.

Try the Av position and select say f/4 or f/5.6 by rotating the edial at the rear of the camera andyou will see the Tv setting (shutter speed) will adjust accordingly. Try to keep it up near 1/250-1/500 sec if possible.

On a bright sunny day you should be able to shoot at f/8 ot f/11 and still have a shutter up near 1/750sec or so, that should give you enoughshutter speed to freeze the action and the f/8 or f/11 aperture should give a deep enough Depth of Field so all players and ballare in focus.

Enjoy and remember, practice now when it doesn't matter, not when you are trying to get that ONE Perfect Shot. you will be surprised at how quickly you will come to terms with the camera and what you can do to get YOUR perfect shots.

Crash

Thanks for these suggestions, our daughter has another game tomorrow so I'll do some experimenting.

One question though,because it was overcast the flash started popping up whenever I pushed the shutter release and the only thing I knewto doto keep it from popping up was to move the mode dial to "flash off" but that means not being able to move it toAv or any of the other dial modesso was there a setting somewhere else I could have changed to keep the flash from popping up?

Old Oct 13, 2006, 12:01 AM   #7

The flash pops up automatically only in the "auto" mode (I think the scene modes fall into that too). If you use "P", "Av", Tv, or M you have to put it up yourself. Another reason why I always use the "P" mode if I'm leaving things up to the camera, rather than auto.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 6:56 AM   #8

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
The flash pops up automatically only in the "auto" mode (I think the scene modes fall into that too). If you use "P", "Av", Tv, or M you have to put it up yourself. Another reason why I always use the "P" mode if I'm leaving things up to the camera, rather than auto.
Thanks mtngal!!