Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:40 PM   #1

I am very new to the whole Digital SLR camera arena. Recently I purchased a Pentax *ist DL, then bought a Sigma 24-135mm f2.8-4.5 lens. The problem I am having is when the function or menu button is pressed it will flash either menu for a second then return back to shooting mode. I spoke to Pentax, they state if it works with the Pentax kit lens, then the camera is fine. I sent the lens to Sigma, they state the lens is fine. I was wondering if anyone else has encountered a problem like this before? The problem occurs in all shooting modes.

Thanks for any help,

Fred

[align=center]
[img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/Photoshop%20Pictures/Butterfly.jpg[/img][/align]
Fred2726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:47 PM   #2

HI Fred

Welcome To the Forum. I Dont Own the lense myself, but This link Might offer Some advice

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

Phil

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 11:11 PM   #3

Yes, Many of us have had the same problem although some find their lens works perfectly. If you bought it from Cameta you can return it within a certain amount of time. You say you sent it to Sigma and got no satisfaction? That's dissapointing because I was getting ready to send mine in.

A workaround is when you want to use the menu, unlock the lens and turn it slightly from full lock(you don't have to turn it much), on mine that allows the menu to be viewed, then when you're ready to shoot twist the lens to full lock and you should be good to go. The lens works fine as far as shooting goes, at least mine does but its a pain to change settings in the menu system. Good luck.

Oh one other thing. make sure you have the ap ring set to "A" .....when I first got my lens I forgot to do that and it would only shoot in manual mode.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 2:05 PM   #4

I am sorry to hear you have a bad one, I was one of the lucky ones, mine works (and has become a money earner since it is the lens I use for almost all of my paying projects). BTW I also use a DL.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 3:22 PM   #5

Thanks everyone for the help.

I did buy the lens from Cameta but it did not seem to have the problem in the beginning. Now it is really happening all the time. I really love the lens and range, the price is unbeatable.

I sent the lens to Signa the sent it back saying there is nothing wrong with it. May be I should send it again?

Does anyone feel it might be that a firmware update in the camera might help?

My next step will be to try and find a Tamron 24-135 lens. But at two-three times the price.

Thanks

Fred
Old Oct 13, 2006, 9:06 PM   #6

Firmware update did not help with my sigma 24-135 on my ist DL. I have my lens in service at sigma. We'll see what they say.
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 9:34 AM   #7

I will be waiting to hear if they were able to fix your lens. I spoke to Sigma yesterday and unless they're able to reproduce the problem they will not replace or fix anything. I really love this lens. I've even thought of buying another 24-135 lensfrom Cameta and seeing if that one works with my camera.It still would be cheaper than getting the Tamron 24-135mm lens. :roll:

Its good to hear that someone is using the lens without any problem.

Old Oct 14, 2006, 9:59 AM   #8

I had similar problesm with my Sigma lens. I sent it for repair at the Sigma repair centre in Canada. It came back and still did not function properly. I call them again and explained what was happening on the phone (and in writing) and sent the lens back. After about a month I had heard nothing so I called them. They were very sorry for the delay (waiting for some new part from Japan) so they sent me a brand new lens ... it has worked perfectly and I'm very happy with it ... since it was a Canadian Sigma lens (presumably exactly the same as the one from the US) it is covered by a 5 year guarantee rather than the 1 year US one. My advice would be to call the Sigma repair place again and talk to them about your continuing problems, then and send it back for further repair. Your might even mention the discussion on this list (I did) ... there is clearly some percentage of these lenses with "issues".

As I said, I'm delighted with the lens I now have. Good Luck!

Cheers, Mike
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 3:38 PM   #9

Good News,

After two returns to Sigma they've returned my 24-135mm lens repaired and now working properly with my Pentax DL! Great news as I really love the lens.

I will commend Sigma on they're very speedy repair and return!
Old Oct 23, 2006, 5:03 PM   #10

That is great news, it is a fine lens when it works.

Ira (one of the lucky ones)
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote