Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 19, 2006, 11:33 AM   #91

Quote:

No more so than VR or IS in the lenses use, and possibly less since fewer physical items are moving with in body SR compared to in lens shake reduction.

If I don't get at least 500 shots with my DS I am having a bad day, since I usually get around 700. That is about 1/2 the shots my friend gets with his D70s, but I can get another set of batteries for my DS anywhere if I need them and he can't.

His AF is faster in low light, but not as accurate as my DS and my Auto WB works perfectly in normal light and doesn't seem to be any less accurate than his D70s under unusual lighting conditions such as a High School gym.

Tom
Interesting...

But isn't it true that a normal set of HQ alkaline AA batts can only get you about 50 shots before going out? (On your Pentax dSLR)

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 11:48 AM   #92

Even better: isn't true that Pentax cameras won't work without batteries?

Come on, those are for testing/emergency use only! In fact, I always have a set of Li AAs, just in case - and that's one thing the K10D can't do (but we don't talk about *real* K10D shortcomings here, don't we?)
Alex Sarbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 8:02 PM   #93

RiceHigh wrote:
Quote:
The two statements can be both true. But if the guy never work on any day, then only the first statement can hold true.

Your analogy might not be appropriate for the case I pointed out. As I have already responded a few time. If you have got a K100D or K10D, would you try to keep the SR on or off FOR MOST OF THE TIME??

Think about the true answer for this practical question and you may have another view on my opening post.

Also, the no battery consumption impact claim seems something very different from various K100D user reports too.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh

This thread is ridiculous. But, to answer your question, I would use SR when necessary. So if I was in broad daylight with perfect shooting conditions using a shorter focal length lens, I would not use it. If it got darker, I would use it to compensate. The people buying the K10D are all pretty much aware of what it can and can't do, and will know how to apply SR to their own photos effectively, so can we please get over it and move on. This thread is not really conducive to encouraging people to join the Pentax movement.
Patang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 11:52 PM   #94

My K-1000 does Quite handy sometimes...

Alex Sarbu wrote:
Quote:
Even better: isn't true that Pentax cameras won't work without batteries?

Come on, those are for testing/emergency use only! In fact, I always have a set of Li AAs, just in case - and that's one thing the K10D can't do (but we don't talk about *real* K10D shortcomings here, don't we?)
SelrahCharleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 1:19 AM   #95

" Interesting...

But isn't it true that a normal set of HQ alkaline AA batts can only get you about 50 shots before going out? (On your Pentax dSLR)"

Why would I use regular batteries in my DS other than in an emergency, and if even whqt you claim is true, that is 50 more shots you will get with a D70s using HQ AA batteries?

I get about 700 shots from $8 worth of rechargable AA batteries, which means I get 3,600 shots for the same cost as the Nikon brand battery in my friends D70s.

I forgot, my LX works perfectly without batteries also!

I am loosing interest in this thread at a high rate of speed.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 4:31 AM   #96

The fact is that; reviews that have tested both the K100D and theNikon D70s have produced some stark results;

The Nikon D70s can clearly get in about 2000+ shotswith a single charge of it's Lithium ION battery, and it can keepthat charge for weeks and months.

On the other hand, I didn't get a very good impression of the K100D;

With 4 fully charged high quality rechargeable Nickel MH batteries, it can only capture about 300+ shots; which is even worse than my ultra compact: with a 3.0" TFT LCD. (Live preview)

Even worse from what I can see, the charge of those AA batteries drain very quickly (over few days), and Pentax owners had confirm this to me. (That sounds very bad in my opinion)

People always argue that I can get normal AA batts, but again, those only get you 50 over shots before going out.

All in all, Pentax dSLRs gave me the impression of very poor battery management.

That is why I prefer cameras that supports rechargeable LIT-ION batteries; they keep their charge very much longer for a start...

Old Oct 20, 2006, 4:39 AM   #97

Oops, sorry folks: Pentax digital cameras. My ME Super also can work without batteries.

BenjaminXYZ: so choosing proprietary LiIon with the K10D is a good ideea, right?At least, Pentax can be sure nobody will try to use alcalines, then complain about poor battery life :blah:
Alex Sarbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 4:43 AM   #98

Code:
Quote:
BenjaminXYZ: so choosing proprietary LiIon with the K10D is a good ideea, right?At least, Pentax can be sure nobody will try to use alcalines, then complain about poor battery life
I agree. Pentax must have realized that itwas time to make the progress...
Old Oct 20, 2006, 5:22 AM   #99

Isn't the battery life argument kind of irrelevant given that, even with the alleged K100's 300 shot limitation, that's still 300 RAW images per set of batteries which I would argue is probably far in excess of a day's shoot; this will also require 3 GB of SD Card storage.

So, at the same time your transferring the images, pop the AA NiHi batteries back into the charger to refresh them ready for the next shoot - same also goes for Lithion batteries.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 6:19 AM   #100

BUT CATBELLS PENTAX'S RAW FILES ARE SO MUCH BIGGER THAN OTHER VENDORS!
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote