Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 17, 2006, 7:40 PM   #61

So, a Montey Python/Star Wars thead? Some very interesing possiblities.......

:whack::-D:?
danag42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 9:13 PM   #62

"We are the Jedi Knights who say Ni!!"
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 11:06 PM   #63

I can't believe this thread is still going!

"May The Farce Be With You"

Sorry I was confused about it this is a Star Wars thread now or still a Monty Python thread so I thought I would combine them.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 1:06 AM   #64

At least Star Wars isn't so lame.
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 4:46 AM   #65

You WILL be assimilated.

Resistance is futile!!

Let's get the Hitchhiker's Guide and Star Trek in on this one, it's getting really good! (Note that that second line exists in both of those series.)

:crazy:

What else can we drag into this?

danag42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 4:59 AM   #66

Just remember, the Corps is watching! You'd all better zip up those stray thoughts!
Alfred Bester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 5:55 AM   #67

I think JimC (should) already know about all this...Iwon't besurprise that he knows what's going on...(Considering he have replied to some post in this forum just yesterday...)
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 7:36 AM   #68

Monza76 wrote: [align=left]
[/align]
Quote:
RiceHigh, I thinkyour choice of language, "Pentax's marketing lie(s)", is too strong. Even Pentax deserves a little patience, at least until the camera is actually available.

Ira
May or may not be. My feeling of "they are lying" was not so strong until I read the K10D pdf full user manual in which Pentax (yes, Pentax, also) tell exactly the difference.

Otherwise, if the Pentax marketing staff who drafted the press release are not lying, he simply was stupid enough to know little about the camera and the Shake Reduction system before he "created" his big article!

May I repeat again for the statement in the manual: "Turn off SR is you don't need SR function" - Just think just a little bit more WHEN will the user not need the SR function?? THe answer is trivial, that is, when the shutter speed is high enough and/or on a tripod! So, why the media press tells people the "SR can be turned on permanently"?? Why the marketing department still recommend users to turn on the SR if they like, even actually the "SR function is not needed"???

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 8:03 AM   #69

RiceHigh wrote:
Quote:

Otherwise, if the Pentax marketing staff who drafted the press release are not lying, he simply was stupid enough to know little about the camera and the Shake Reduction system before he "created" his big article!

RiceHigh
I'm hot on the heels of the dark lord himself!

Hmmm, perhaps you've actually made a valid point here. only it was hidden in some other spoutings about 'manuals this' and 'pdf that'.

when was the last time someone in marketing knew anything about their product?

let's say for example, you've fallen in love with a car. you've researched it extensively online for weeks before going to the dealer. do you expect the salesman to know everything you know about the car? good luck. they're there for one thing. to make their dealership money, by selling you a car. they haven't learnt a thing about the car, because they're busy sizing YOU up the second you walk in the door.

The bottom line is yes, the people in marketing probably were wrong, because they MARKET. they don't engineer the products they sell. if they think people want to hear something, they'll say it, because they want you to fork over $900, not because they care whether or not they're 100% right.

The SR has a switch for a reason, do what you want with it, i'm sure it won't prevent the shutter from firing either way.

milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 8:32 AM   #70

RiceHigh wrote:
Quote:
Monza76 wrote:

[align=left]
[/align]
Quote:
RiceHigh, I thinkyour choice of language, "Pentax's marketing lie(s)", is too strong. Even Pentax deserves a little patience, at least until the camera is actually available.

Ira
May or may not be. My feeling of "they are lying" was not so strong until I read the K10D pdf full user manual in which Pentax (yes, Pentax, also) tell exactly the difference.

May I repeat again for the statement in the manual: "Turn off SR is you don't need SR function" - Just think just a little bit more WHEN will the user not need the SR function?? THe answer is trivial, that is, when the shutter speed is high enough and/or on a tripod! So, why the media press tells people the "SR can be turned on permanently"?? Why the marketing department still recommend users to turn on the SR if they like, even actually the "SR function is not needed"???

RiceHigh
Granted that their choice of words was not well thought out, but I still think you are reading a lot of meaning into one minor mistake. Technically if you never use a tripod, or pan an action shot,the SR can be left on. Since tripod use and panning are the only cases where it probably should be turned off, their error is a very minor one and is more an error of symantics than an effort to deceive.

Ira

Oops, "Live long and process", OK it is a lame Star Trek reference but I was in a hurry.

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote