Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 18, 2006, 9:37 AM   #71

RiceHigh wrote:
Quote:
gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
RiceHigh,

Do you do this to other brands as well, or is it just Pentax?
I'm not interested in other brand at this moment as I am still considering the K10D. You know, I'm a Pentax DSLR user afterall, although not a die-hard Pentaxian!

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh

And that is what none of here can fathom.
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 9:40 AM   #72

RiceHigh wrote:
Quote:
gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
RiceHigh,

Do you do this to other brands as well, or is it just Pentax?
I'm not interested in other brand at this moment as I am still considering the K10D. You know, I'm a Pentax DSLR user afterall, although not a die-hard Pentaxian!

RiceHigh

And this is what none of us can fathom.

If you used fewer words you'd be a common troll.
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 9:47 AM   #73

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Oops, "Live long and process", OK it is a lame Star Trek reference but I was in a hurry.

"Dammit Jim. I'm a doctor, not a photographer!"
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 9:01 PM   #74

There's a little book you need to look at. It is very sleed and high-tech, and it says "DON'T PANIC" very clearly on the cover.

Just make sure to keep your towel handy.

Rufus T Firefly wrote:
Quote:
Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Oops, "Live long and process", OK it is a lame Star Trek reference but I was in a hurry.

"Dammit Jim. I'm a doctor, not a photographer!"
danag42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 1:56 AM   #75

Oh yes it's verylame and you know it. But where do you expect this thread is going? Read the post that started this thread. How in the world can you respond to that?

It's very silly, I rather talk and learn more about photography, and unfortunately I don't think it's something RH knows, otherwisehe wouldn't make such a statement.

JR

Jacobsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 2:10 AM   #76

RiceHigh wrote:
Quote:

May or may not be. My feeling of "they are lying" was not so strong until I read the K10D pdf full user manual in which Pentax (yes, Pentax, also) tell exactly the difference.

Otherwise, if the Pentax marketing staff who drafted the press release are not lying, he simply was stupid enough to know little about the camera and the Shake Reduction system before he "created" his big article!

May I repeat again for the statement in the manual: "Turn off SR is you don't need SR function" - Just think just a little bit more WHEN will the user not need the SR function?? THe answer is trivial, that is, when the shutter speed is high enough and/or on a tripod! So, why the media press tells people the "SR can be turned on permanently"?? Why the marketing department still recommend users to turn on the SR if they like, even actually the "SR function is not needed"???

RiceHigh
OK I will try to respond, I hope it's not waste of time….XV

II know why you don't understand their statement, because they are talking about something different, it's called photography. On the other hand you're talking cameras.

The reason it says "Turn the Shake Reduction switch off if you will not use the Shake Reduction function", it's probably why Pentax made the K110.

There are many photographers, most of who are novice, don't care about the shake reduction feature. I happen to be one of them. (Don't trust a moving sensor). Most of these photographers don't use the tripod, and they don't really pan. So they prefer (like I do) the K110 over the K100. Why then you would ask that they don't like SR? Because of their technique, which varies, some of them might like a blurred effect, which it's done on purpose. This is not restricted to panning. It's a different technique, probably used best with film cameras. For example someone might want to create a painting effect, by blurring (painting) the image on purpose, or creating ghosts, or crating blurred lights in a night scene, or zoom explosion effect, or blurred backlighted subject such as tree leaves during Autumn…etc. Sometimes this happen by accident and the results can be surprisingly appealing

Here isan example of what I mean:

Attached Images

Old Oct 19, 2006, 2:16 AM   #77

Here is another:

Attached Images

Old Oct 19, 2006, 2:34 AM   #78

I don't think that you can take these kind of photos with SR camera, well maybe, This is why the manual states, "Turn the Shake Reduction switch off if you will not use the Shake Reduction function". It simply means you can use this camera with SR switched off. You could be assured that the sensor is locked and your photos will not be affected by the shake reduction. Remember the SR technology is new and many fear the sensor might cause strange things. So many photographers shy away form camera that might not allow them to use their technique.

On the other hand, most other camera users who always like to take photographs with the best possible sharpness, can turn SR switch "on" and forget about it. That's why it says, "You can leave SR on permanently". I hope this make more sense.

Remember the manuals are written in Japanese. You can accuse Pentax for not having the best-translated manuals in the world. But it's still very simple, I know that I have made it more complicated than what it is. But without my explanation, why can't you understand something most everybody understands. It seems that you have a very suspicious mind. And just because you don't understand what you read you shouldn't call them liars.

This is about photography, not cameras, and before you know cameras, you need to know photography. And it's not about being suspicious, or constantly wondering how trustworthy they are.. If you would only go out and take more pictures than just nitpicking instruction manuals and cameras you might learn a thing or two about what photography is all about.

JR
Old Oct 19, 2006, 3:46 AM   #79

Shake reduction have it's limitations as well, and you can't always leave it on.

A few occasions that you can't leave it on has already been mentioned in here;

When you are panning with a subject. (Some people said before that the SR can cause blur if active)

When you are capturing long exposures with a tripod. (Reviews have informed that the SR will cause blur and it should be turned off)

Basically I heard that as long as you are moving the camera to take a shot, the SR better be turned off since it can get confused. (Or react wrongly)

All this are facts that I have gathered from reviews and users.

Just informing what I know.

Regards.

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 6:31 AM   #80

Jacobsr wrote:
Quote:
I don't think that you can take these kind of photos with SR camera, well maybe, This is why the manual states, "Turn the Shake Reduction switch off if you will not use the Shake Reduction function". It simply means you can use this camera with SR switched off. You could be assured that the sensor is locked and your photos will not be affected by the shake reduction. Remember the SR technology is new and many fear the sensor might cause strange things. So many photographers shy away form camera that might not allow them to use their technique.
[align=left]The sensor is NOT locked when the SR is turned off. Your supposition is INCORRECT here. BTW, do you have a K110 or K100? ..before you concluded that the "sensor is locked".

I have told that in my K100D review that the sensor is not locked no matter the SR is turned on or off.

http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh/K1...ll_Review.html

Instead, the sensor is held by the electromagnets when SR is turned on!

[/align]
Quote:
On the other hand, most other camera users who always like to take photographs with the best possible sharpness, can turn SR switch "on" and forget about it. That's why it says, "You can leave SR on permanently". I hope this make more sense.
[align=left]I have no disagreement of any kind the SR should be turned off when the user does NOT want it here. But a further problem is that can the SR be really COMPLETELY TURNED OFF??

The logic is simple. If the user is recommended the SR to be turned on for *most of the time*, the user will turn it off when it has *adverse effect* to what they need to shoot. On the other hand, if the user is recommended the SR to be turned OFF for most of the time, it should be turned on ONLY WHEN IT IS NEEDED!

See the difference?

[/align]
Quote:
Remember the manuals are written in Japanese. You can accuse Pentax for not having the best-translated manuals in the world. But it's still very simple, I know that I have made it more complicated than what it is. But without my explanation, why can't you understand something most everybody understands. It seems that you have a very suspicious mind. And just because you don't understand what you read you shouldn't call them liars.
[align=left]The manual is an English manual and I found it to be crystal clear. Your assumption about it is a translated one maybe true but Pentax must have some right person (technical writers) to get it proof read and I found no problem in understanding the manual, so your assumptions on either the manual is poorly written or I misunderstood it are both wrong.

[/align]
Quote:
This is about photography, not cameras, and before you know cameras, you need to know photography. And it's not about being suspicious, or constantly wondering how trustworthy they are.. If you would only go out and take more pictures than just nitpicking instruction manuals and cameras you might learn a thing or two about what photography is all about.

JR
You're right here. I know nothing about photography and I have never taken photos. Even if I bother to take, my "photos" s u c k, that is simply the basic character of a measurbator. I have said that more than one year ago since my web site was lanuched, see my homepage and my K100 review page! Most importantly, see my Disclaimer!!

RiceHigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote