Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 19, 2006, 5:38 AM   #81

You guys seem only focus on one of the (suspicious) points I simply quoted. How about the "effect on battery consumption is negligible" and "SR does not affect AF performance, shutter lag... etc."??

Well, for the first, every body knows electromagnets convert battery power to force. How comes the above claim?? Do note that the movable CCD module and the CCD itself is NOT a small NOR lightweight component..

As a matter of facts, it has been reported from time to time that the K100D is very power hungry on the net.

For the second claim on AF performance, I exactly found the different in my K100D review:-
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh/K1...tml#Conclusion

See the "AF speed and time lag" test.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh

RiceHigh wrote:
[align=left]
[/align]
Quote:
Quoted:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Additional Advantages of the PENTAX SR System

* Since the SR system is activated only when you press the shutter release, any effect on battery consumption is negligible.
* PENTAX SR is optional. You can leave SR on permanently, turning it off only when using a tripod or panning (deliberately moving the camera in the direction of subject motion to blur the background).
* Performance capabilities such as auto-focus speed, shutter lag time and continuous shooting rate are unaffected by the SR system because its operation is instantaneous, occurring within the normal exposure interval.
. . . and so on.. (snipped)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(End Quoted)
[align=left][/align]
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 5:58 AM   #82

Ahhhhhhhhhh! :?I know that the A.F. of the Pentax/SamsungdSLRs are SLOWER in lower lighting conditions than the other dSLRs,and the Pentax K100D have rather poor battery life. (Compared to the other rivals) In addition, the auto W.B. of the K100Dis also not as accurate as the others. (Those situations will require the K100D to useof thecustom WB for accuracy)

I got all this informations from the reviews and user opinions.
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 6:13 AM   #83

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
Pentax K100D have rather poor battery life.
Really - but at least it uses readily available batteries and not a custom over the top and very expensive lithium.

Oh. Could this be a plus point for Pentax.

My *istDS can take in excess of 500 shots on a set of 4 AA 2300mAh NiHi batteries.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 6:20 AM   #84

Code:
My *istDS can take in excess of 500 shots on a set of 4 AA 2300mAh NiHi batteries.
That's not bad! I heard that the K100D can only take in about 300 shots with these type of batteries.

Code:
Really - but at least it uses readily available batteries and not a custom over the top and very expensive lithium.
I am not sure how good is that, but the Nikon D70s can get in around 2000+ shots with a single charge of it's propitiatory lithium ion battery.

Old Oct 19, 2006, 8:02 AM   #85

RiceHigh wrote:
Quote:
Quoted:

* PENTAX SR is optional. You can leave SR on permanently, turning it off only when using a tripod or panning (deliberately moving the camera in the direction of subject motion to blur the background).
Quote:
"Turn the Shake Reduction switch off if you will not use the Shake Reduction function".
"I never work on Sundays."

"I work all days except on Sundays."

What statement is a lie and which is true? Or can they both be true at the same time? (Rethoric question)

RiceHigh, I value your independent testing of the Pentax cameras, and your technical explanations of the different K-mounts and the TTL/P-TTL flash system. They have been a helpto me. But this thread was ridiculous from the start, and it's becoming worse. It's time to let it die.

Kjell

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 8:13 AM   #86

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:

What statement is a lie and which is true? Or can they both be true at the same time? (Rethoric question)

.... But this thread was ridiculous from the start, and it's becoming worse. It's time to let it die.

Kjell

And this helps how????
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 8:42 AM   #87

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
RiceHigh wrote:
Quote:
Quoted:

Quote:
"Turn the Shake Reduction switch off if you will not use the Shake Reduction function".

[align=left][/align] The two statements can be both true. But if the guy never work on any day, then only the first statement can hold true.

Your analogy might not be appropriate for the case I pointed out. As I have already responded a few time. If you have got a K100D or K10D, would you try to keep the SR on or off FOR MOST OF THE TIME??

Think about the true answer for this practical question and you may have another view on my opening post.

Also, the no battery consumption impact claim seems something very different from various K100D user reports too.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 9:18 AM   #88

RiceHigh wrote:
Quote:
The two statements can be both true. But if the guy never work on any day, then only the first statement can hold true.

You must be a lawyer to pull that out of your @$$.
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 9:59 AM   #89

Quote:

Also, the no battery consumption impact claim seems something very different from various K100D user reports too.

Is it true that the S.R. (Pentax K100D) doesn't consume battery power, or it actually consumes very little battery power?
Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:27 AM   #90

No more so than VR or IS in the lenses use, and possibly less since fewer physical items are moving with in body SR compared to in lens shake reduction.

If I don't get at least 500 shots with my DS I am having a bad day, since I usually get around 700. That is about 1/2 the shots my friend gets with his D70s, but I can get another set of batteries for my DS anywhere if I need them and he can't.

His AF is faster in low light, but not as accurate as my DS and my Auto WB works perfectly in normal light and doesn't seem to be any less accurate than his D70s under unusual lighting conditions such as a High School gym.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote