Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 13, 2006, 2:24 AM   #1

First, see the official Pentax press release and a copy of which can be found in the following:- http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/pe...6_k10d_pr.html

Quoted:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Additional Advantages of the PENTAX SR System

* Since the SR system is activated only when you press the shutter release, any effect on battery consumption is negligible.
* PENTAX SR is optional. You can leave SR on permanently, turning it off only when using a tripod or panning (deliberately moving the camera in the direction of subject motion to blur the background).
* Performance capabilities such as auto-focus speed, shutter lag time and continuous shooting rate are unaffected by the SR system because its operation is instantaneous, occurring within the normal exposure interval.
. . . and so on.. (snipped)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(End Quoted)

For the first point about battery consumption, this differs from many user reports from different K100D users. Still, there is no solid evidence if this statement is exactly false anyway, although it is highly suspective.

For the second statement of "You can leave SR on permanently", the Pentax K10D user manual tells it totally differently. On page 68 of the manual, it recommends clearly that "Turn the Shake Reduction switch off if you will not use the Shake Reduction function". BTW, a copy of the full manual can be downloaded at: http://www.pentaxforums.com/K10D_Manual.pdf

So, shall we believe the rest of all those marketing talks in those media press releases any further?

All in all, the user/technical manual was most likely written by engineers or designers of the camera, whom should be more trustworthy (and knows more about the camera) afterall. I now learn that believing what marketing guys tell will indeed be something foolish, for many occasions.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2006, 3:05 AM   #2

then turn the switch off, jesus its not a big deal. I hardly find that the SR turning on or not only when the shutter is switched to be majorly misleading at all
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 4:27 AM   #3

yes, what is a big deal here? seems like it is just an assumption from what you have said. further more, you have a choice to switch
on or off the sr. nonetheless, what is the serious deal here??????:?:?
precsmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 5:13 AM   #4

precsmo wrote:
Quote:
yes, what is a big deal here? seems like it is just an assumption from what you have said. further more, you have a choice to switch
on or off the sr. nonetheless, what is the serious deal here??????:??
The point is not about what you can do (or cannot do). The point is about Pentax's marketing tell people to do something that is not recommended in the user manual, that is, to turn off the SR if it is not needed. One of the possible explanations to this clear lie is that the marketing people wish to convey a false but clear message that the SR has no side effect of any kind, so that they tell people to leave it on all the time.

Indeed, I find and conclude the same myself as what Pentax manual recommends:-

http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh/K1...ll_Review.html

RiceHigh
Old Oct 13, 2006, 5:54 AM   #5

you forgot to add second part of this sentence which clearly says: turning it off when using tripod or panning (that is when you not using SR)
which means exactly the same as: Turn the Shake Reduction switch off if you will not use the Shake Reduction function

so where's the lie in this? it's exacly the same but with different words.

gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 6:38 AM   #6

gfurm wrote:
Quote:
you forgot to add second part of this sentence which clearly says: turning it off when using tripod or panning (that is when you not using SR)
which means exactly the same as: Turn the Shake Reduction switch off if you will not use the Shake Reduction function

so where's the lie in this? it's exacly the same but with different words.
Yes, you're right. So, the first part contradicts with the second part. There is no need to quote the user manual, which is too far away!

RiceHigh
Old Oct 13, 2006, 6:49 AM   #7

RiceHigh,

Do you do this to other brands as well, or is it just Pentax?
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 7:09 AM   #8
TC3

Ricehigh

This is the sort of crap i have come to see you moan and groan about.......loser!
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 7:27 AM   #9
TDN

What the heck?

I don't see what you're getting at and saying is a "lie"...

The press release says you can leave the SR on whenever you feel like, and that you can turn it off when you don't need to use it.

In my interpretation that's the exact same sentence...

The switch to turn it off is mainly to provide the user with all available options a normal DSLR has. For example if you want a shot of a driving car with the car sharp and the background blurred, you move your camera at the same speed as the car. The SR will try and compensate for this, thus ruïning your "special effect". That is why Pentax provided a handy switch (rather than a menu function) to turn the SR off quickly.

Perhaps you misinterpreted both sentences.

Nonetheless, that is no reason to go off like that and come provoking on the Pentax forum. If you want, you can spew out all garbage you want in some other forum, but we're trying to have a nice helpful community here, rather than an arrogant one.

Every single post coming from you has been a negative one. It's a shame we don't have a moderator, to delete them on sight.

You seem to have a serious insect of some sorts up your behind, I'd advise you take it out.

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 8:07 AM   #10

WTF. i knew this was a ricehigh thread before i opened it up. Come on now, learn the semantics and subtlety of a second language before you go bashing a large corporation for MAKING THE EXACT SAME STATEMENT IN A DIFFERENT FORM. It's like saying i Do not understand, cannot comprehend, or even begin to grasp the amount of time you must waste reading the same thing over and over again. It is bad enough you use your camera for scientific studies about itself once you get one in your hand; but analyzing and critiquing pre-release documentation and trying to provide a commentary on that? Absurd.
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote