Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 19, 2006, 9:23 AM   #51

Quote:
Ben, don't over-react! I don't mean YOU!

RiceHigh
and now the apprentice has become the master.
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:03 AM   #52

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
The PENTAX K10D was stated to have a nasty shortcoming, and that is known as high ISO performance. It was said that the high ISO performance of the Pentax K10D will be very bad, according to people. The problem with Pentax is that; they do not have the advance CMOS sensors of Canon; the current Sony CCD just won't be able to handle extra pixel crammings anymore. (At least from what I have heard) Samples from the SAMSUNG versionwas shown before (Sorry I do not know where), but people were busy discussing the poor high ISO performance with soft and noisy images etc...It was also known that PENTAX had dropped the ISO 3200 feature in the last moment due to poor high ISO performance. Clearly, all this serves to indicate expected poor high ISO performance from the new PENTAX K10D - the most highly anticipated dSLR.
Just an FYI, the Samsumg so called high ISO shots were done with a camera running BETA firmware! There is also a good chance that it didn'thave the proper imaging engine or final ADC hardware in place... It was a early test mule.

The firmware version was .2, the model that I handled with that firmware revision didn't even have all itsmetering modesenabled... I can not understand how people can think its an indicationof a production camerasoutput :angry:

In the end we have to wait for a PRODUCTION camera to determine high ISO performance.

On a side note the d80 and 400xti have very similar high ISO performance... so the CMOS to CCD differences are not exactly as you describe... but I do not feel like getting into that.
pic_*ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:24 AM   #53

Quote:

Just an FYI, the Samsumg so called high ISO shots were done with a camera running BETA firmware! There is also a good chance that it didn'thave the proper imaging engine or final ADC hardware in place... It was a early test mule.

The firmware version was .2, the model that I handled with that firmware revision didn't even have all itsmetering modesenabled... I can not understand how people can think its an indicationof a production camerasoutput :angry:

In the end we have to wait for a PRODUCTION camera to determine high ISO performance.

On a side note the d80 and 400xti have very similar high ISO performance... so the CMOS to CCD differences are not exactly as you describe... but I do not feel like getting into that.

We can only currently hope for the best. I hope that it won't be as noisy as the A100 (you know); but how can we hope? The 10 MP Sony CCD clearly isn't that good anymore at high ISO performance...We can hope for it to be like the Nikon D80 then... (you know too); but the Nikon D80's images at the higher ISOs compared to the A100 at the similar high ISOs are softer and less detailed! And the A100's ISO levels are understated! (So all the more bad the D80 looks) It is either way for the 10 MP Sony CCD..........To have more noise (like the A100)retaining imagedetails and crispness, or to have the D80 like effect with clean but N.R. infected images. (Images looking soft and less detailed) The fate of the Pentax K10D will be at hand...

BTW regarding the Canon EOS-400D (Digital Rebel-XTi):

That camera features the superior Canon CMOS image sensor with the excellent low noise circuitry. Images from the EOS-400D at high ISOs are noticeably more well defined and detailed than those from the Nikon D80 (At similar ISO levels). The Canon's images are onlyslightly noisier. On the other hand, the noise levels of the A100is the highestamong the 3, but with similar levels of detailas the Canon EOS-400D. (Images at the same high ISO levels, furthermore; the 400D's ISO levels are understated, compared to that of the D80)

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 8:38 AM   #54

pic_*ist wrote:
Quote:
BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
The PENTAX K10D was stated to have a nasty shortcoming, and that is known as high ISO performance. It was said that the high ISO performance of the Pentax K10D will be very bad, according to people. The problem with Pentax is that; they do not have the advance CMOS sensors of Canon; the current Sony CCD just won't be able to handle extra pixel crammings anymore. (At least from what I have heard) Samples from the SAMSUNG versionwas shown before (Sorry I do not know where), but people were busy discussing the poor high ISO performance with soft and noisy images etc...It was also known that PENTAX had dropped the ISO 3200 feature in the last moment due to poor high ISO performance. Clearly, all this serves to indicate expected poor high ISO performance from the new PENTAX K10D - the most highly anticipated dSLR.

Let's wait and see. But I bet there will be no big miracle. But if it really happens, I might get a K10D!

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 8:48 AM   #55

RiceHigh wrote:
Quote:
Let's wait and see. But I bet there will be no big miracle. But if it really happens, I might get a K10D!

Steve's is placing the DASD order now for the onslaught of the 'problem's' you'll find and the posts you'll make. Can we take up a collection to have you move to another brand to pollute other forums accordingly?
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 9:42 AM   #56

Yeah RiceHigh, get the Pentax K10D and test it for us. (At least I would appreciate it!)

BTW, I have read through your site (Not everything though), and it was informative! :idea:

Regards.

Old Oct 20, 2006, 11:37 PM   #57

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
Yeah RiceHigh, get the Pentax K10D and test it for us. (At least I would appreciate it!)

BTW, I have read through your site (Not everything though), and it was informative! :idea:

Regards.
Well, I'm still saving my bucks for that! ;-) And that the purchase of it is still undergoing my research route! ;-)

Actually, I think the information contained in my website are actually not totally PEntax specified, although many of the tests are Pentax gear related, but the technical theories addressed aren't.

BTW, I'm glad that you like my site. Thank you.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 4:13 AM   #58

No problem reading through your site RiceHigh. :-)

You exposure analysis of the Pentax ist* DS/DLwas also fairly detailed IMO!

Recently, a few users also experienced the same problem AFAIK>>>

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

I think you can be the pro to advice them. (The neutral parties would probably appreciate your knowledge)

Regards.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 7:47 AM   #59

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
No problem reading through your site RiceHigh. :-)

You exposure analysis of the Pentax ist* DS/DLwas also fairly detailed IMO!

Recently, a few users also experienced the same problem AFAIK>>>

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

I think you can be the pro to advice them. (The neutral parties would probably appreciate your knowledge)

Regards.

And 99% think he's just nuts.
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote