Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 13, 2006, 3:03 AM   #1

From what can be seen in the K10D full user manual (which can be found at: http://www.pentaxforums.com/K10D_Manual.pdf ), I summarise quite some of the major shortcomings of the K10D (well, I'm not bashing but there have already been so many praisings around the net so far and thus I think it's the time to have a more balancing view here):-

1. Big size and heavy - nearly 800g with battery and card;

2. Do not support *any* Pentax TTL auto flash in AUTO. User can just use and must use the flash as MANUAL flash (!?);

3. With 360/540 latest dedicated Pentax flash units, P-TTL must be engaged on K10D despite that those flash units DO support TTL or even Auto non-TTL flash mode;

4. Virtually don't support wireless flash with the wireless capable 360 and 540 flash, the manual says the user need to have TWO 360/540 flash in order to control and fire a wireless flash (!? again);

5. Ridiculously super large RAW file size - a 512MB memory card only holds 29 RAW images (~18MB each!?);

6. Default Auto ISO range is set at 100 to 400, full available range is 100 to 1600. When compared with the auto ISO range of 200 to 800 and the 200 to 3200 full range of all other Pentax DSLRs. One will not be difficult to relate that it is very likely the noise level of ISO 400 of the K10D will be something close to that of ISO 800 of K100D or *ist Dx and then the ISO 1600 of K10D will be as noisy as the ISO 3200 of the K100D and *ist Dx;

7. The Auto Rotation sensor works only very conditionally. The user must hold the camera vertically "with the shutter release button at the top and the mode dial at the bottom" to make it functions. But then some shooters including me prefer to hold the grip at the bottom for a more steady shot (believe me, it is better and more steady - do you know why? :-));

8. The operations of the camera seem to be a bit rather complicated afterall, overall speaking.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2006, 5:11 AM   #2

well, since so many complaints in the forums, k10d is still a superb camera to me. heavy? non issue to me. flash system, go look at some other brands, i think it is a technology advancement than pentax not to offer something or lack of features. maybe it is a big dissappointment to many existing fans who owns older flash system, but i don't think it is not reasonable for pentax to drop the ttl support.

and come on, the camera seems complicated??? can u fine a perfect camera yet?? to me, it is some kind of get use to, and be frank, i still find the layout of the camera is superb and well thought of. i just feel pentax has learn all the logic layout from the user comments and also all the best from other camera makers. really, what is wrong with the camera?

i've seen many including me just find so many ppl try to dig out unnecessary complaints.
precsmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 5:24 AM   #3

precsmo wrote:
Quote:
well, since so many complaints in the forums, k10d is still a superb camera to me. heavy? non issue to me. flash system, go look at some other brands, i think it is a technology advancement than pentax not to offer something or lack of features. maybe it is a big dissappointment to many existing fans who owns older flash system, but i don't think it is not reasonable for pentax to drop the ttl support.

and come on, the camera seems complicated??? can u fine a perfect camera yet?? to me, it is some kind of get use to, and be frank, i still find the layout of the camera is superb and well thought of. i just feel pentax has learn all the logic layout from the user comments and also all the best from other camera makers. really, what is wrong with the camera?

i've seen many including me just find so many ppl try to dig out unnecessary complaints.
The problem is that Pentax has not many flash units to be chosen from for the K10D. There are only two, the model 360 and 540. Just for example, the macro ring flash, AF014C, which still can be bought very lately, has become obselete within just a few months and that Pentax has come up with *no* replacement of the flash unit before Pentax decided to kill all their TTL line of flash products. I still have a copy of Pentax Accessories Catalogue for Pentax DSLR for 2005 which includes the AF014C, so Pentax is not quite responsilbe in this case.

For a company like Pentax who often emphasize on their "support" on backward compatibility, it is a joke.

RiceHigh
Old Oct 13, 2006, 5:42 AM   #4

it's not out yet but you already found 8 major shortcomings. I wonder how you gonna trash it when you gets your hands on one?

from my experiwnce with manuals they are always written the way you can't tell anything about final products, so can you just wait a bit longer before judging it?
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 6:40 AM   #5

gfurm wrote:
Quote:
it's not out yet but you already found 8 major shortcomings. I wonder how you gonna trash it when you gets your hands on one?

from my experiwnce with manuals they are always written the way you can't tell
anything about final products, so can you just wait a bit longer before judging it?
The manual tell clearly in details for what I refer and comment to. Except Pentax changes the design finally when they ship, there is nothing which is arguable.

RiceHigh
Old Oct 13, 2006, 6:54 AM   #6

Way to go RiceHigh. The guy is expressing an opinion and as he already said, NOT bashing.

He's giving a heads-up and has shown much more inteligence in the past, to outshine oh-so-many (paid?) reviewers out there.

As for me, I'm old enough to make MY OWN final choice in the end.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 8:03 AM   #7
TDN

Just because someone says he's not bashing doesn't mean he isn't...

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman"...

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 10:25 AM   #8

One more time
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 12:03 PM   #9

I am desperately struggling to say something nice but lightly veiled sarcasm is the highest level I can currently aspire to. Given this state of mind the best I can offer is a heartfelt no-comment.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 12:13 PM   #10

I am not commenting in this thread and in any other threads he starts, because if I wrote my feelings about his Vendetta against Pentax I would probably getbanned.

I have learned to ignore him. Eventually he will go away, after he gets a real life or maybe hewill take the advice given by many from the DPReview forum (before he got banned there) and buys a Canon or Nikon.
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote