Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 13, 2006, 7:23 AM   #1

Here are a number of shots I took this past weekend on a day trip with my wife and kids. We did some driving, some walking, some playing, some shopping. All in all a great fall Sunday.

The more I take pictures these days, the more I learn. This forum has been extremely valuable as well. The more I use my *istDL the better I get. I'm still only getting about 1 or 2 good shots out of everh 20 or so I take but that's the joy of digital.

I'm going to try to post a number of photos here using potos I just posted to my Google/Picassa gallery at http://picasaweb.google.com/marcel.b...tiaFallColours. If this doesn't work, I'll follow up and post each photo separately.

This first photo is from a place quite aptly named "The Lookoff". That is its official geographical title on NS maps. A great hand held shot that only captures a small portion of the viewing panaramma. The subsequent photos I took are to the right and towards the sun and because of that, were too washed out.

This next shot was taken, again offhand. I liked the look of the big chunk of driftwood but it was too far away over marshy ground to get close to. In the end, I'm quite pleased with the overall composition of the photo rather than just grabbing the driftwood tree.

The thing to note about this photo is that I was so completely focused on capturing the duck and I didn't even notice the reflected colours until I had downloaded the pictures to my Mac later that night.The same goes for the second duck photo as well. These two were taken with my new Sigma zoom (selected thanks to the info and advice I've read here in this forum).

The place whereI took the duck photos (and last next two photos I've posted here) is right next to a little farmers' market. They have two ponds, a goat pen, rabbits, play area and a hiking trail. The kids love it and I have something to do while my wife is purchasing more plants to take home to die. Anyway, the two ponds are about 75 m apart and just at sundown, you can stand almost anywhere between the two and just watch, or photgraph,the ducks flying from one pond to the next. They are so low, you can hear the wind off of their wing tips. Anyway, this is the best shot I was able to grab of them in flight.

Lastly, while not a great shot, these are the trees that provided the reflected colours in two duck/water/tree colour reflection photos above.

Anyway, cheers from Nova Scotia. Have a great fall - or spring for those of you on the other side of the planet.

Cheers,

Marcel
Fusilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2006, 7:44 AM   #3

You have a couple of very nice shots there marcel. I like the low angle of the grass shot.

Not sure whether you can link directly to an image in Pacasa

http://picasaweb.google.com/marcel.b...67445060632594
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 9:07 AM   #4

A lot of photo hosting websites don't let you directlypost pictures onto another board, haven't tried picasa's site so don't know.

I do like your pictures - the water color on the two duck pictures really appeals to me. Your photos do a good job of making me wish I were there instead of here.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 9:28 AM   #5
TDN

Very nice colors

I like the one of the duck on the "orange" water.

I still like spring and summer better though...it's too damn cold here now :lol:

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 9:32 AM   #6

TDN wrote:
Quote:
Very nice colors

I like the one of the duck on the "orange" water.
Me too...that shot is awesome!
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 10:11 AM   #7

The two pictures of the ducks on the reflected water thrilled me so much because, like I said, I didn't 'see' any of that colour when I was composing the shots. The colour was there but I was just so focussed on the foreground that I didn't 'look' at the background. I'm taking that as the biggest lesson from this session.

Let me try again to get a thumbnail at least from Picasa:

Fusilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 10:37 AM   #8

Marcel

Very nice work, I hope I can get out and get some autumn pictures before it is too late.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 1:19 PM   #9

Marcel

Love the pictures. the last one with the Tree and water Fountain Is my favorite.
I'm Hopeing To Get out this Coming week and Get Some Shots. I am Sure that We will Hit peak By later next week.

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 10:22 PM   #10

I really like the two ducks - absolutely wonderful!

Here in Tumbleweed, Arizona - we do not get any of the "fall" colors, nor a lot of water for that matter, either. So it is really refreshing to see the various seasons and views around the world that the members post here.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote