Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 13, 2006, 5:06 PM   #1

Hi All,

Got some sun today, so I went out to try out my new (to me) Tamron SP 300 f2.8 LD IF Adaptall II (Manual Focus). After losing a couple of auctions for much-used examples of this lens, I was cruising KEH and noticed it in the new arrivals even before receiving an e-mail notification (I was on the list), so it must have been just listed. It's in E+ condition with all the goodies including an Adaptall II 1.4x TC. A little more than I had planned on paying, but this guy is LN -- much better condition than I was looking for. . . and very reasonable considering the condition -- so I bought it. I saw it as a very good alternative (almost, but not quite as good) to the A*300/2.8 at about 1/4 of the entrance fee.

I had pretty much decided that really didn't want the size and weight of a 300/2.8, but the idea of having that much reach and speed was compelling, so I figured I'd just settle for a "beater" . . . (right! :lol. With a good 300/2.8, I'll also have a 420/4 with a 1.4x, a 510/4.8 with a 1.7x, and a 600/5.6 with a 2x. This is, if you didn't recognize it, LBA rationalization at its highest level!!! :-)

Anyway, here are some sparrow shots -- not the best, but good enough to tell that I'll be keeping this lens. both are about 1/3 frame crops:

This one's at f2.8 1/4000, ISO 200 (never have run into a situation before where there was just too much light while birding):

The second was at f/5.6, 1/1500, ISO 200 -- (-1 EV) and still blew out some of the breast feathers:

Both of these are significantly better at full size.

This lens is very big: 8" long, 4.6" dia at the front -- takes a 112mm filter (the hood looks like a 1 1/2 qt saucepan), and 4.6 lbs (over twice as much as the FA*300/4.5), so this one's not for everybody. I'll most likely stop here on the long glass. . . (but will never say never. . .:-)).

I'm really looking forward to trying it handheld with the K10D's SR -- luckily there's some time to work on my upper body strength before that can happen. :-) Meanwhile, my monopod (at least) will be getting some good use with this lens.

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2006, 5:33 PM   #2

really looks like a keeper scott.

roy
Old Oct 13, 2006, 7:16 PM   #3

That is a nice lens and hard to find, with the price going up lately,

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 10:14 PM   #4

Nice shots, the depth of field in the second shot makes it look like the bird is sitting in a pool of sharp. How do you get on Keh's email list? I have ordered from them but I cannot find anywhere on the site to register for a mailing list.

Thanks,

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 10:46 PM   #5

Impressive pictures. They come with quite a "price-tag" though, so I'm not even tempted. The A* 300/f4 is heavy enough for me (LBA temporarily controlled).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 5:16 PM   #6

Thanks guys an gal,

Roy -- yeah, a keeper for sure -- I don't think it'll become my main birding lens though really too big and heavy for my usual shooting style -- but something for darker days and some specialty work. I like having the right tool for the situation.

Tom -- it's a lot easier to find than the A*300 or FA*300 f 2.8s since there seems to be quite a few out there with Nikon mounts, and considerably more affordable -- less than $800 for this type of lens is a bargain in my book. They are still listed on some sites as in stock new, going for @ $2700. The quality to price ratio made me look for a good used one. I wouldn't have been able to rationalize buying one of the Pentax 300/2.8s and then using it only sparingly -- that is -- whenever I felt strong enough to carry it. . .

Tim -- There is no KEH mailing list per se -- you have to go through the "In Transit" lists, and if any of the lenses that you might be interested in are listed, then there will be an "email" button for you to be notified when the item is available for purchase. If you miss one, a follow-up email will inform you that the item has been sold, but you can stay on the list for that lens for 6 months and automatically be notified when one comes in by clicking a link in the e-mail.

The really rare and desireable lenses -- well, you have to be quick and lucky. I was actually online when notifications went out about two different E+ A*200/4 Macros becoming available, and called on immediately on each, only to find that they had been sold within a few minutes of the e-mail notifications being sent out. After those experiences, if I know there's a lens that I want coming in, I just try to browse the site a few times every day to see if I can get lucky and spot it before the notifications go out. This, I think, is what happened in this case.

Harriet -- It's really a specialized application lens, and few really "need" it. For me, it's a luxury, having the reach and speed available for use especially with a good TC. I know that I'd be pretty satisfied with the A*300/4 or my current favorite FA*300/4.5 for normal walk around birding -- the 300/2.8 just offers more options for tougher lighting conditions, and is a good excuse for getting into better shape:-). BTW, I have, on some occasions, thought my LBA was temporarily under control, but then I woke up. . . :evil:

Thanks for taking the time to look

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 9:37 AM   #7

Scott,

Good shots and great lens. I may not be able to handle the extra wt and size though. At one time when there were two Tamron SP300mm available from the same vendor at PA, I was pondering the idea of picking it up by driving over there. Gave it up .

Well the lens is in good hands apparently.

Daniel

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi All,

Got some sun today, so I went out to try out my new (to me) Tamron SP 300 f2.8 LD IF Adaptall II (Manual Focus). After losing a couple of auctions for much-used examples of this lens, I was cruising KEH and noticed it in the new arrivals even before receiving an e-mail notification (I was on the list), so it must have been just listed. It's in E+ condition with all the goodies including an Adaptall II 1.4x TC. A little more than I had planned on paying, but this guy is LN -- much better condition than I was looking for. . . and very reasonable considering the condition -- so I bought it. I saw it as a very good alternative (almost, but not quite as good) to the A*300/2.8 at about 1/4 of the entrance fee.

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote