Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 13, 2006, 6:26 PM   #1
TDN

After a lot of looking around, I finally found one for a decent price (±35$)

Wanted to take some quick shots, although my subjects aren't that interesting. (except the ladybug then perhaps)

Tomorrow I'm going to photograph for the website of a culture festival for youngsters, so maybe I'll get more interesting shots then.

Anyway here they are, I love this lens! Feels like you're using an old, solid piece of fine built glass, and yet it operates like a modern one, except for no AF then...

Very sharp if you ask me, especially once you hit f8.

All just resized and corrected the exposure on the ladybug. (no sharpening!)

Cat was willing to pose a little

Notice the little sprinkle in his eye (hard to see here, but it's like a star with 6 points). Love that.

Decided to get out the extension tubes while I was at it...

at f1.7 it gets a more unusual bokeh...

I think I'll have loads of fun with this one...definitly a keeper. I wanted one for a long time, I'm so happy now

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2006, 9:45 PM   #2

That's an amazingly good price for that lens. I have an A and an M, and I think the A is slightly sharper!
danag42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 10:33 PM   #3

I like mine also though I tend to reach for the F50 1.7 first (for the auto focus, not for any difference in picture quality). In fact, along with the Kiron 105mm macro, the two 50 1.7 lenses are my absolute favorites. I like that Ladybug shot very much, the colors are great.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 11:01 PM   #4

Great shots. Love the ladybug.
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 12:05 AM   #5

Great stuff TDN. You've got the hang of that lens!

I've got a copy too and love the shots it takes but find I struggle to get the manual focus spot on. I can relate to Tim's comment that a version of this lens with AF would be rather handy!

Ladybug? Ladybird surely. Much prettier name and I don't find they bug me.....
bobinoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 1:45 AM   #6

Hey! Your cat looks just like my cat. Long lost twins separated at birth?

royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 10:14 AM   #7

Love the cats - you can almost feel the fur. Think you'll have no problem with the lens.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 1:01 PM   #8
TDN

bobinoz wrote:
Quote:
Great stuff TDN. You've got the hang of that lens!

I've got a copy too and love the shots it takes but find I struggle to get the manual focus spot on. I can relate to Tim's comment that a version of this lens with AF would be rather handy!

Ladybug? Ladybird surely. Much prettier name and I don't find they bug me.....
Oh is it ladybird? I was doubting about that because it isn't actually a bird, looks like my English vocabulary can always be improved

Anyway I know what you mean about the AF. The thing is it costs about 5 times as much money, which I don't have.
I'm just very patient and wait for the focus indicator to beep. 9/10 times it's spot on.
Shooting action is harder though...

I must say this lens is very easy to handle. Walked around with it today and was amazed how much lighter the camera became without my heavy Tamron 28-200mm.

I'd recommend it to everyone. If you can find one of these, hang on to it. I already think the guy I bought it from was crazy to let it go

TDN

P.S.: @royce: hehe, yeah they do look alike. I think mine is a little smaller though. Although it's a male, he remained pretty small and skinny, even though he eats a lot. I have another cat who's as round as a basketball, they do stand in contrast with eachother

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote