Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 14, 2006, 5:34 PM   #11

I use a Camcane monopod with a round ball at the top and a rubber cup screws into the camera/lens which gives me greater flexabuility than a regular ball head. I use it most of the time when I am using my 80-200 FA* since it is so heavy.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 5:36 PM   #12

Hi All,

For those with monopods
, you might want to check out the Manfrotto 3220 tilt head:

http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/t...amp;itemid=308

with the QR, you can mount or dismount the camera in a second. It allows you to tilt the camera up and down -- you can rotate the stick to pan. With the plate mounted "sideways", you can easily go from landscape to portrait if that's the control that you need. I find it works much better than a ballhead or pan/tilt for a monopod, and it's relatively inexpensive -- $31 at B&H with 1 QR plate -- I've standardized this as my QR of choice and have a compatible head on all my tripods (that I don't use nearly as much as I should)

Harriet -- I also use the REI Hiker as my main monopod. with this head you could add another QR plate and screw it to the ball, but this may not be a great solution as the added bulk of the head might get in the way. I just leave the head bare, and the stick extended, and use it more as a trekking pole than a walking stick

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 9:33 PM   #13

Scott - This is a real slick looking head and Adorama also sells it. In fact I was looking at the Slik ball head for my monopod. The only question I have is, they say it has a 3/8" thread on the bottom end. Can you confirm this? My monopod is 1/4" as are many treking poles- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 11:47 PM   #14

One other thing that applies to the K100D - the SR is disabled if you use the 2 sec. lock-up. I used to occasionally use it when handholding in low light, because I find that I tend to move the camera slightly when I press the shutter, and using the 2 sec. lock-up in those conditions would help slightly when using the DS. Now I'll just use the 2 sec. lock-up when using a tripod or monopod.

I think it was Roy who suggested using a pole for macros. Instead of using a tripod or monopod, just take a pole and hold it in your hand with the camera. I tried it while hiking and helps, adding a third balance point especially when bent over. It's quicker/easier than adjusting a monopod, but not sure that it is as stable.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2006, 2:06 AM   #15

Hi Bruce,

Most of the Manfrotto stuff has a 3/8 threaded hole -- all you need to do is make sure that you also order or pick up a 3/8 to 1/4 bushing. They are pretty common at camera shops, and I'm sure that Adorama has some. Some of my heads came with them and some didn't. If I don't have a spare sitting around, I usually would order one with the head.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 9:25 AM   #16

How often do you use a tripod or monopod?

Not as often as I should. I believe that if the photography you are engaged in allows the time and space to use a tripod then you should. Camera shake is one issue but another is composition, a tripod slows you down so you generally take more care with your composition.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 9:33 AM   #17

Ditto.

I get spoiled a bit with K100D SR.

Daniel

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Not as often as I should. I believe that if the photography you are engaged in allows the time and space to use a tripod then you should. Camera shake is one issue but another is composition, a tripod slows you down so you generally take more care with your composition.
Ira
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote