Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 14, 2006, 7:46 AM   #1

Does the K100D require high mAh batteries to function properly? Is my extensive collection of 1900 and 2000 unusable and/or will they only allow a limited number of shots? Rumor is manual says high mAh required. Also, are rechargable CRV's OK? Thanks.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2006, 8:35 AM   #2

I don't know if it "requires" a high mah, but I bought new 2650mah Duracells from Wal-Mart. I got an 8-pack for around $15 which gives me a set for in the camera and a set to carry charged and ready for back up. They last a loooong time. I was out last weekend with my K100D and I took over 225 shots. I still have that same set in the camera, and they are still showing full.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 8:50 AM   #3

There was a thread some time ago about rechargeables. I too have 8 batteries, but don't count on the spare 4 being fully charged when the 4 in the camera are depleted. Rechargeables seem to lose their charge sitting unused almost as quick as when they are in use ... that of course is just my experience and you might have different results. But don't assume you have a fail-safe backup if the batteries in the camera die.

Cheers, Mike
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 9:04 AM   #4

pboerger, I am using two sets of 2500mah batteries. I have gotten over 500 shots without fully depleting the battery set and my batteries normally stay in the camera for a week or two of picture taking before I swap them. I have read the manual and I do not recall anywhere that it said you needed a specific mah AA rechargable. I don't think your 2000mah batteries will be a problem and if you have an extensive collection you can easily carry a couple of extra sets.

Rechargable CRV3s are specifically listed in the manual as Do Not Use.

HTH,

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 9:22 AM   #5

pboerger wrote:
Quote:
Does the K100D require high mAh batteries to function properly? Is my extensive collection of 1900 and 2000 unusable and/or will they only allow a limited number of shots? Rumor is manual says high mAh required. Also, are rechargable CRV's OK? Thanks.
all AA bats will work.. you'll just get fewer shos. i have a 1600 set that works fine. i've also got a collection of about 30 AAs that work fine but i've found they loose their charge over a short period--a week..
CRVs are ok as long as they have a voltage limiter in them. you take your chances... stick with the AAs..

roy
Old Oct 14, 2006, 9:36 AM   #6

Has anyone tried a set of Eveready Lithium's in the K100D yet? I know they give me real good life in the DL, much more then the 2500 rechargeables I also use. I mostly carry the Lithiums for spares as they don't lose there charge over time. That way I always know I have some batteries I can depend on- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 11:12 AM   #7

mgedit wrote:
Quote:
I too have 8 batteries, but don't count on the spare 4 being fully charged when the 4 in the camera are depleted. Rechargeables seem to lose their charge sitting unused almost as quick as when they are in use ... that of course is just my experience and you might have different results. But don't assume you have a fail-safe backup if the batteries in the camera die.

Cheers, Mike
Hi Mike. Yeah, I've noticed that the rechargeables do lose some of their charge while just sitting around. The thing is, if the batteries in the camera ever do go dead on me while I'm out shooting somewhere, the back-ups (even though partially depleted) always have plenty of juice to finish out the day so I can get back to my charger. To me, it's still the best, most inexpensive system around. And if I'm ever caught in a real pinch I can always throw in a set of standard AA alkalines to finish up. I love that about the K100D!
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 11:50 AM   #8

Absolutely agree ... being able to use AAs is a major advantage of the Pentax SLRs.

Cheers, Mike
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 12:06 PM   #9

AA's Are a big advantage To The Pentax, As you have lots of Options. I have
12 -2500"s and 1-Set 2700'S. However on the off chance that they are all Dead or weak I always carry at least 1 set of CRV3's.
Next year we are going on our First cruise and i intend To take lots Of Pictures. I Am actually thinking Of just Bringing 2 or 3 sets of CRV3 and Leaving The NIMH and Charger Home. Less To carry.
Only Issue with the Above is If i am able To Talk the Better half into Letting Me get The K10D

Sorry for getting off topic

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 4:29 PM   #10

I am leaving on a cruise to Mexico Monday, and just popping out to get another set of CRV3s as a spare for the new K100D. Other than not using recharable CVR3s are there any other restrictions, especially on the high mAhr batteries?
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote