Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 15, 2006, 11:41 PM   #1

Fooled around with panning shots today. Here's what I got. What settings do you guys normally use?

Tv=1/30, Av=32, Iso=200, Ec=0

Av=1/30, Tv=22, Iso=200, Ec=0

royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2006, 5:38 AM   #2

Very cool, I must try this one day.
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 9:07 AM   #3

sorry i am a noob can you explain how a shot like this is achieved i really like it
seamusep3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:31 AM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I'd say you nailed these shots! Jay!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 1:50 PM   #5

The premise of this type of shot is that your are following a moving object with your camera while you are taking the shot. It is the hope that you can keep the object in sharp focus while blurring the background. It gives the shot a sense of motion/action. I turned off my shake reduction for this shot. While the car was driving by, I kept it in my viewfinder and pivoted my body while taking the shot. I think the key thing is to continue following the object even after depressing the shutter. It is a matter of trial and error to figure out the optimal shutter speed. Too fast and you won't get the blurred background. Too slow and even the object you are tracking will be blurry too.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 2:14 PM   #6

Well done! I'm impressed - I've never been able to get anything anywhere close to this nice!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 2:49 PM   #7

Am I correct in saying that you need to move at exactly the same speed as the subject with as little vibration as possible. The moving subject has to be sharp and in focus whereas the background is blurred out.

Not easy I believe. Said easier than done.

Good shot.

Daniel

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
The premise of this type of shot is that your are following a moving object with your camera while you are taking the shot. It is the hope that you can keep the object in sharp focus while blurring the background. It gives the shot a sense of motion/action. I turned off my shake reduction for this shot. While the car was driving by, I kept it in my viewfinder and pivoted my body while taking the shot. I think the key thing is to continue following the object even after depressing the shutter. It is a matter of trial and error to figure out the optimal shutter speed. Too fast and you won't get the blurred background. Too slow and even the object you are tracking will be blurry too.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 3:05 PM   #8

give it a try, it's actually a lot easier than you think. the shot i took was at the beach near 5pm, light conditions still pretty harsh. a 1/30 shutter speed is a very strong point to start at when panning. following a moving object will keep it in focus, blurring the background... and keeping the camera still will freeze the frame, and blur anything moving in it.

tv=1/30, av=22, iso=200, ec=0

-b
plagued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 5:35 PM   #9

Nice shot. Hey what beach was this taken at? It looks like somewhere in socal but I can't place it.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 5:58 PM   #10

Nice Shots. Looks like Huntington Beach to me?
(I grew up in so-cal before I headed North for Seattle)
treaty is offline   Reply With Quote