Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 17, 2006, 5:10 PM   #11

I use Pentax PhotoLab v2 & Pentax PhotoLab v3; the former (PPL v2 will only function with *istDS and below)provides me with crisper results but is slightly buggy in as much that it will only process roughly 90 images before crashing - the solution is do the RAW conversion in two stages & isn't a real problem.

The Pentax software isn't as dreadful as is being suggested - it's pretty basic with no frills.

There are other independent versions of software that will do the job if you're prepared to pay for them.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 6:08 PM   #12

I find the Pentax software constantly locks up (sometimes it comes back, sometimes I have to end the program and start again)
The user interface is terrible, there's windows all over the place, infact I can't even get them to arrange nicely on the screen all at once.
There's no way to batch process files.
The preview pane is too small and when you enlarge it the area it shows is also too small.
It's also just dreadfully slow all round, especially when doing the actual processing.

However it does give great results, which just adds to my frustration with this software! :-)
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 6:13 PM   #13

nadnerb wrote:
Quote:
There's no way to batch process files.
I batch process all the time (albeit on Auto but I also believe that if the setting is set up on Manual, its still works); just open all the files that you want to convert, then 'hit' the save button.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 7:57 PM   #14

I tried to process about 5 images.
Opened them all and configured them one by one then hit save.
They all came out using the same settings as the last image, which is not what I wanted.
I much prefer the way PS handles it.
You configure an image and move onto the next and so on.
Then hit save and each image comes out with its own settings applied.
If I was gonna use the Auto setting I may aswell just shoot JPG.

I've just downloaded the Adobe Lightroom beta, apparently the workflow is great for this program. We'll see.

nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 9:45 PM   #15

I actually like the Pentax software (version 3) and have pretty much stopped using Photoshop Elements 3 in favor of Photobrowser and Photolab. Photobrowser is the quickest solution for, well, browsing my shots, and Photolab does the best job at reading my raw files and tweaking them, including lens corrections. It's actually the first software suite included with a camera that I've actually used.

BTW, it works fine on my old AMD Athlon XP desktop (4 years old) and on my 1 year old laptop. The only way I'd improve it is to buy and use a second monitor. This software just begs for a second monitor, one for previews and the other for all the editing windows. Since I saw a 19" LCD at Fry's for $160, I may just try it out.

Russ

rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 8:34 PM   #16

I am just starting into playing with RAW, so take my advice with a large grain of salt. For organizing my pictures I still prefer picasa (free from Google) which can actually read the PEF files. I have thus far been underwhelmed by the Pentax software and am leaning towards going back to jpeg photographs. I will work with it some more before I make my final decision though. I have not experienced a similar issue but the picasa software functions very well for what it is intended to do, ie: as an organizer, not as a photo editor.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote