Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:05 AM   #1

hello i recently installed the pentax software that came with my k100d on windows xp and ended up having to uninstall it b/c my computer keeped rebooting everytime i plugged my camera into it. the comp. is reletivly new and still has plenty of memory does anyone have any idea why this might have been happening and what i can do to prevent it and still upload my pics. thanks in advance

seamus
seamusep3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2006, 11:07 AM   #2
TDN

get yourself a card reader, works great and doesn't use up the battery of your camera.

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 11:11 AM   #3

You need a card reader!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 2:32 PM   #4

And the right card reader. Guess is USB2 problems... PIA to find and correct.
Found SIIG card readers to be good. Not the cheapest or easiest to find but seems to be fairly compatable.....

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
You need a card reader!

Tom
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 3:11 PM   #5

seamusep3 wrote:
Quote:
hello i recently installed the pentax software that came with my k100d on windows xp and ended up having to uninstall it b/c my computer keeped rebooting everytime i plugged my camera into it. the comp. is reletivly new and still has plenty of memory does anyone have any idea why this might have been happening and what i can do to prevent it and still upload my pics. thanks in advance

seamus
Could try d/l the software from the Pentax website and trying that. If you have other USB peripherals, printer etc, make sure these work. Also if you plugged the camera into front-mounted ports, then try using the rear ports. It could be a driver issue with XP, in which case ensure you have the all of the updates from Microsoft website.

I realise that is quite a lot of checking and messing about, but it costs nothing to check - the software should work as intended.

A card reader, though,is the best way to go as it saves all the wear and tear on the camera port, and the drain on the batteries. (Fallen foul of plugging a camera into the computer before - it was a jack plug type and after about a year or so the connection died. Hence buying a card reader - cheapo £5.99 but works well).

Good luck

Darren

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 4:31 PM   #6

Get yourself a SANDISK Ultra II Plus and you will not need a card reader. The card folds in half and becomes a male USB plug-in. They are great!
snoopy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:01 PM   #7

great thanks for all the input card reader here i come......
seamusep3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 1:22 AM   #8

The Pentax software is indeed buggy. The PhotoLab 3 of mine (which come with my K100D) even has conflict with my wireless optical mouse on my Toshiba notebook PC! Really amusing! Also, the "arrange window" function has never worked properly on my notebook PC nor my another desktop PC with a 15" Samsung display. It only works on my 19" Eizo display system of one of my 3 PCs.

I must say Pentax need to carry out a bit more rigorous compatibility tests plus software bug tests to improve their software.. Well, they should have done all these before they rolled out their software, but unfortunately the end results hint that the testing is inadequate.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh

seamusep3 wrote:
Quote:

seamus
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 3:20 AM   #9

The software is really poor, I'll admit that, but I doubt its causing the reboot.
Sounds a lot like a USB problem of some sort.
Does it still do it without the software installed?

A similar thing happened to me recently.
The PC would occasionally freeze when inserting USB devices and one day it just wouldnt boot. The motherboard was fried.

Turns out there was a fault with this particular motherboard meaning even a slight amount of static on a usb device was frying a certain chip.

nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 4:57 PM   #10

seamusep3 wrote:
Quote:

seamus

You don't need the Pentax software in order to upload pictures. The software is for photo browsing and RAW conversion.
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote