Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:24 AM   #1

For those who have been following the news. I'm living it firsthand. Haven't had power since Thursday 9pm and don't expect to have it restored until the weekend. Freak snow storm that produced nearly 2 feet of wet slushy snow. It was all lake effect so it was localized to just around western new york and parts of the Niagara Peninsula on the canadian side. The devastation was mainly done to the trees, and of course, falling tree limbs = downed power lines. Just about every tree in the area was damaged in some way, whether it was rotting and old or fully healthy. You can only fully appreciate it by seeing it firsthand. I'm posting a few pics here to show some of it the morning after. I might also add that all the snow you see in the pics has pretty much melted already. There isstill a little left but the 60F temps today should clear that up.

This is the telephone pole in my backyard. The large tree in the picture dropped about 2-3 branches on the top power lines and bent the pole over.

These next two shots are looking either way down my street. No, I don't live on a country lane. This is a regular city street, the trees are laden so badly with the snow that they are hanging to the ground in the street.

This is my small tree out front, it's a linden tree and it's usually shaped like a pear. But it looks like someone is trying to fold it up to take it away.

And this one is 2 doors down from my house, the tree was perfectly healthy and just basically ended up splitting down the middle. It only brushed the front of the house, no damage.

I'm sure all this will add fuel to the fire that people like to use about Buffalo in the news. For those who don't know, we don't ever get snow this early in Buffalo. Last time it happened was almost 100 years to the day which is an interesting story in itself. A lady called into the local radio station to relay a story she read in one of the local papers from 100 years ago. They were reporting on a snow storm nearly identical to this one that occurred on Oct 10-11th. Strange how things happen.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:30 AM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Cool pictures...a good snow fall makes for an interesting background! If you don't mind me making a suggestion, try increasing your aperture by 1 stop and you fill find that pictures of snow come out much brighter. Due to the highly reflective nature of snow (and sand too), most built in light sensors tend to over compensate and stop down the apertures more than they should. Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:48 AM   #3

That snow storm was actually reported in the Swedish newspapers, so it must have been something beyond the normal. Two years ago we were hit by a snowstorm that took down 30 years of normal logging in the affected parts of the country. My family was left without power for three days, a friend of mine for seven weeks! They are still clearing the forests from fallen trunks, and piles of them are everywhere along the roads waiting for transport to some sawmill.

Your pics illustrate that photography can be so much more than nice macros and sunsets. Thanks for posting!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 11:10 AM   #4

My thoughts are with you and others in the same situation ... we lived through the famous ice storm that hit Eastern Canada a few years ago ... 14 days of no power and well-below zero temperatures with high winds. Thank goodness for the woodstove, anadequate supplies of firewood, and of course our stash of scotch :-)

Pictures look nice and very familiar.

Cheers, Mike

mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 11:11 AM   #5

Thanks for the aperture advice. I was honestly more concerned with documenting the damage than composition. For some reason my domain is down right now so if any of you have trouble seeing the pics please be patient. They'll be there later.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 11:51 AM   #6

It always listen to NPR at am 970 from Toronto. The other day I heard that Buffalo was talking about getting the Nat guard and also about which gas station you should go to as a lot were closed.
I had no clue as to what happened until a bit later on.
Wet snow has always been a dangerous and hideous calamity. Well it does look very spectacular as can be seen in your pix.
Hope you guys are ok there.

Daniel
Toronto

MadMikeSS wrote:
Quote:
For those who have been following the news. I'm living it firsthand. Haven't had power since Thursday 9pm and don't expect to have it restored until the weekend. Freak snow storm that produced nearly 2 feet of wet slushy snow. It was all lake effect so it was localized to just around western new york and parts of the Niagara Peninsula on the canadian side. The devastation was mainly done to the trees, and of course, falling tree limbs = downed power lines. Just about every tree in the area was damaged in some way, whether it was rotting and old or fully healthy. You can only fully appreciate it by seeing it firsthand. I'm posting a few pics here to show some of it the morning after. I might also add that all the snow you see in the pics has pretty much melted already. There isstill a little left but the 60F temps today should clear that up.

This is the telephone pole in my backyard. The large tree in the picture dropped about 2-3 branches on the top power lines and bent the pole over.

These next two shots are looking either way down my street. No, I don't live on a country lane. This is a regular city street, the trees are laden so badly with the snow that they are hanging to the ground in the street.

This is my small tree out front, it's a linden tree and it's usually shaped like a pear. But it looks like someone is trying to fold it up to take it away.

And this one is 2 doors down from my house, the tree was perfectly healthy and just basically ended up splitting down the middle. It only brushed the front of the house, no damage.

I'm sure all this will add fuel to the fire that people like to use about Buffalo in the news. For those who don't know, we don't ever get snow this early in Buffalo. Last time it happened was almost 100 years to the day which is an interesting story in itself. A lady called into the local radio station to relay a story she read in one of the local papers from 100 years ago. They were reporting on a snow storm nearly identical to this one that occurred on Oct 10-11th. Strange how things happen.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 1:59 PM   #7

Makes out 2" look like nothing at all!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 2:27 PM   #8

Impressive shots! Glad to read you came through it OK. Hope you didn't loose a freezer of frozen food in the power outage (can be really a problem if you have less than a full freezer or no power for more than 48 hours). That bent power pole was really incredible.

Wet snow is much worse than powder - it can do so much more damage! Thanks for the pictures, a reminder that disasters can come in all sorts of ways.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 3:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Impressive shots! Glad to read you came through it OK. Hope you didn't loose a freezer of frozen food in the power outage (can be really a problem if you have less than a full freezer or no power for more than 48 hours). That bent power pole was really incredible.
Well, as of right now, the power is still out at my house. I'm at my in-laws. We aren't expected to get power at my house til later in the week.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 6:18 PM   #10

Wow, looks like a white hurricane. I am sorry to hear you were in the middle of that mess but thanks for taking the time to post the pics. They, and the subject, are most impressive.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote