Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 16, 2006, 7:21 PM   #1

I ordered said lens from BestPriceCameras, which they apparent have in stock. Today I called to verify it was in fact in stock and the camera guy tried sell me up in the following way:

SALESMAN: "Do you want to upgrade to the metal version over the plastic version for $30? The metal version is a smoother, sharper lense, etc."

ME: "I wasn't aware there were two versions of this specific model. How is it that you can offer these two makes?"

SALESMAN: "The plastic is an import, made in China. blah blah blah, not as good as the metal, which comes directly from the manufacturer."

ME: "I haven't seen any reference to this before. How would I ever know which version I'd be getting unless you were to tell me?"

SALESMAN: "It's in the specs."

talky talky...

ME: "Let's put a hold on my order until I decide."

called him back later...

ME: "I can't find any references online to a metal version. How much does the metal one weigh?"

SALESMAN: "The same as the plastic one."

ME: "Why would they weigh the same if one is made of metal?"

SALESMAN: "It's polycarbonate, it comes out to be the same weight."

ME: "No upgrade, keep my order as it was."
-------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, now I can smell the bullshit through the phone, but how much? I never read in any specs on Pentax's site about polycarbonate vs. metal construction. Is there any truth to what he's saying? Did I do the right thing by even ordering from these goons? I feel so unpleasant about this order.

Thanks...

pwithem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2006, 7:39 PM   #2

Hi pwithem

I cannot say He is Wrong Totally. I dont know about the Construction. But, I know that there is three versions of this lense. The 28-105 3.2-4.5 AL IF Silver/Black, the 28-105 4.5-5.6 and the FA-=28-105 4.5-5.6 IF
I Personally own the FA-28-105 3.2-4.5 AL IF silver/black, Which if remember correctly is the better of the 3.

Hope this Helps

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 8:11 PM   #3

BK,
I knew there were several versions of the 28-105mm, so I was very exact with the rep that we were talking about the f3.2-4.5. I'm just not real keen on the import vs. direct from manufacturer thing he talked about. His upgrade offer was so off the cuff; I could've been ordering THE Holy Grail and he would have an upgraded version of that too.

His metal/plastic spiel certainly sounds plausible, but verifying that is such foggy business; i.e., where did he get his "specs"?

Here is a link to the lense.

http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prod...?prodid=309715
Old Oct 16, 2006, 8:33 PM   #4

you need to ck these scam artists down at resellers.com..
these people have one of the worst ratings. ck here
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller8754.html
there is only ONE 3.2-4.5 version of this lens..

roy
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:08 PM   #5

Thanks Roy. I feel like I could have written several of those buyer experiences. I'm cancelling first thing in the morning after I call my bank and tell them not to accept any charges from the company. I feel so unclean.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 11:09 PM   #6

I also owned that lens (the one you ordered), and I'm sure it was a plastic lens barrel, with a metal mount. At least the one I had was. I don't think the lens you ordered has a metal barrel...Don.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 5:28 AM   #7

pwithem wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Roy. I feel like I could have written several of those buyer experiences. I'm cancelling first thing in the morning after I call my bank and tell them not to accept any charges from the company. I feel so unclean.
if it's too good to be true, then it probably is!!

roy
Old Oct 17, 2006, 8:28 AM   #8

actually, i'd just call the deal competitive - several other sites had the item similarly priced (adorama), but they were out of stock. Where I found common ground with the resellerratings buyers was with the stream of BS that the sales rep tried to feed me to explain my questions the mysterious upgrade option.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 12:17 PM   #9
TDN

Yeah smells fishy to me...

You did the right thing doubting his words.

It's all salestalk anyway. It's has been proven that metal or polycarbonate doesn't affect the quality of your lens.

In fact, polycarbonate will not expand under higher/colder temperatures as quick as metal...and don't worry, it can take a punch or two...you need to be handle your equipment with some care anyway, no matter what it's made of

B&H have it for the same price, and they do have a good reputation: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

TDN

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 5:45 PM   #10

I only know three 28-105 made by Pentax in the last years (decade ?).

28-105 f4.0-5.6 power zoom: well built, very good optical quality (said to have)

28-105 f4.0-5.6 IF: I own this lens, plastic body, metal mount, nice sharpness, smooth handling, lightweight. I'm really satisfied with it, also on the *istDS.

28-105 f3.2-4.5 Aspherical IF: newer, said to be even better that the preceding one.

I never heard about a plastic/metal alternative from Pentax (at least here in Italy) on such a focal range.

ciao

damiano
dam59 is offline   Reply With Quote