Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 17, 2006, 6:33 PM   #11

Do you have the noise reduction option switched on?
Its in the custom settings menu.
treaty wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the input... I was afraid of that. Seems they're called "hot pixels" and they're not toally uncomon (http://www.google.com/search?q=pentax+hot+pixel). Had the camera about 3 weeks and looked through the first pictures i took with it - no hot pixels... it seems they just showed up yesterday, and it seems they also may only show up in low light / longer exposure shots (which I take a lot of :sad: )
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 1:02 AM   #12

nadnerb -
yep, noise reduction is on... still get the dots if I turn it off. Don't get them, or can't notice them with full flash exposures though.

gadgetnut -
i know it looks like they're hard to see based on that first pic in the thread here... but the thing is - they are clearly noticible at 50% resolution - meaning I dont even have to magnify the image to see them - thats bad :sad:

Don't get me wrong, I love everything about this camera so far - except this.
I've contacted Pentax support to see what they say... Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.
treaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 2:37 AM   #13

N.T.
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 2:37 AM   #14

"Stuck" pixels are worse than hot pixels IMO! :?I have seen cameras such as the KM 7D with stuck pixel problems at long exposures; when they are cleared up, black pittings remained. :?For hot pixels, they don't look like they are "ingrained" into the image (As stuck pixels are); they look more like on the surface and easily removed. For the case of the Olympus EVOLT E-500 (dSLR) with hot pixels at long exposures, they can all be removed perfectly without affecting the image.

I hate stuck pixels. Stuck pixelsalways seems to happen to those 23.5 x 15.7 mm 6.3 MP CCDs as far as Ican see. Canon's CMOS sensor and the 23.7 x 15.5 mm 6.3 MP CCDs does not have such a problem. (Always, as far as I can see)
Old Oct 18, 2006, 6:03 AM   #15

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
Canon's CMOS sensor and the 23.7 x 15.5 mm 6.3 MP CCDs does not have such a problem.
You reckon!
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 6:49 AM   #16

Quote:
You reckon!
I have neverseensuchproblems with "stuck" pixels on those cameras withthe 2 types ofimage sensor before. (As far as I know)

TheKM 7Dwas the other camerathat have "stuck pixel" problems that I have came across before. (Controversially, it is also using the 23.5 x 15.7 6.3 MP CCDas the Pentax 6 MP dSLRs...)

Old Oct 19, 2006, 3:57 AM   #17

I think that it is a common problem for the K100D: Unless this K100D is also another problem one...(seems unlikely as reviewmodels are often carefully checked)

Pentax K100D ISO 1600 shot without noise reduction (at least from what I can see)>>>

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...0LL1607XNR.HTM

Another 6.3 M.P. digital SLR (The Nikon D70s) at ISO 1600 without N.R. as well>>>

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...D70SLL1607.HTM

Old Oct 19, 2006, 1:39 PM   #18

Hot pixels are common with all cameras. If you look for the (why would you?), you'll find them. If you send it back for repair, the chances are you'll receive a camera with more hot pixels.

If you shoot raw images, they are automagically corrected by most raw conversion software.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 2:31 PM   #19

I had a hot/stuck pixel on my Pentax Optio 33L, it eventually "healed" itself and no longer showed up on images. Guess I got lucky.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 2:51 PM   #20

A few possibilities, 1)Canon maps all before shipping. 2)Canon has built in auto mapping 3)CCD's have a slightly higher (probably statistically insignificant) preponderance for hot/stuck pixels. Just pick a Canon forum and do a search for "hot pixels" and you will see it is not in any way uncommon or unexpected on any models (except the mega dollar ones, where I would have a hard time INITIALLY accepting them, though I would acknowledge that they could eventually occur).
Actually pick ANY brand forum... Just for fun why not calculate the failure rate on the photosites, lets see x/6,000,000 times 100, will give you a nice percent...
My D started out w/ about 7 hot /stuck pixels and when sent for repair the count was at least 10 times that. Sensor was probably replaced and came back w/ about 7 hot/stuck pixels but in a different place (visual observation, and hot/stuck pixel mapping programs). Matter of fact why not run your cameras through one of these programs and report back here.

(I'm not a fanboy, I just expect the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, however I see it)

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
You reckon!
I have neverseensuchproblems with "stuck" pixels on those cameras withthe 2 types ofimage sensor before. (As far as I know)

TheKM 7Dwas the other camerathat have "stuck pixel" problems that I have came across before. (Controversially, it is also using the 23.5 x 15.7 6.3 MP CCDas the Pentax 6 MP dSLRs...)

oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote