Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 20, 2006, 4:39 AM   #21

I agree that sometimes the CanonEOS 350D get some hot pixels as well, but they are very few (3 or less), and they are white in color being much smaller. (At least from what I have seen)

I have not seen any hot pixels or stuck pixelsfrom the Nikon D50/D70/D70s yet...

A testament to their qualities.
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:34 AM   #22

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
snip
A testament to their qualities.
Read here
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 2:30 AM   #23

Luckily for me, I only have 1 of these green pixels. I did notice that it only occurs when I use an ISO setting of 1600 or greater. I don't plan on taking pictures of iso800 but there probably will be a time when I do. The camera is only about a week old so let's hope I don't get more.
jmack100d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 6:12 AM   #24

Well, I have justread through the entirethread providedby the link above.

From what I can extract from the many post in there;

Users who had experienced the hot pixel/stuck pixelproblemson their D80(s), did notexperienced such problems on their D50(s) or D70/D70s. (Hence, justifying my point) After all,I wastalking about the 6 mega pixel dSLR cameras only. (If you have read properly)

Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:00 AM   #25

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
Well, I have justread through the entirethread providedby the link above.

From what I can extract from the many post in there;

Users who had experienced the hot pixel/stuck pixelproblemson their D80(s), did notexperienced such problems on their D50(s) or D70/D70s. (Hence, justifying my point) After all,I wastalking about the 6 mega pixel dSLR cameras only. (If you have read properly)
Do you truly believe that owners of Nikon D50 et al have never experienced hot or stuck pixels? They are a fact of life with every digicam. I skimmed that thread and did notice users of older models having some stuck pixels. But since you were speaking of the 6mp sensor; check this out at Nikonians. I don't wish to turn this into a pissing contest but please don't make statements vaunting another brands supposed quality here that can be easily disproved using google. Especially when the 6mp sensor is most likely the same as the one used in the Pentax *ist series. I'm sure there will be more incidents of hot pixels now with the use of more mega pixels crammed into the same area. But it won't be limited to one brand or one sensor.
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:32 AM   #26

It is true that sometimes defective Nikon D50(s) have a red pixel that can cause a single red line across the image. However, those were defective units; once they have been serviced, everythingwas fine again.

I have never seen the Nikon D50 having hot or stuck pixel problems at long exposures, or at high ISOsbefore. (As the PENTAX K100D in this case!)

The Nikon D70s and D70 was even better...no problems at all with such nonsense; since the first day I started studying them.

The K.M. 7D have such problems of hot pixels/stuck pixels; and coincidentally, it is also having the 23.5 x 15.7 mm CCD as the Pentax dSLRs. (The Nikon ones are at23.7 x 15.5 mm)Sounds like notmuch difference yeah?? But it determines a wholedifferent CCD or system altogether. (At least from my understanding)

Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:52 AM   #27

Ben you ned to improve your reading/research skills. It literally only takes seconds at dpreview to find "issues". Does appear that the incidence rate is lower than the d80. Could just be Nikon eliminated "pixel mapping" or "cherry picking from Sony"as a pre-requisite to release (would save costs I assume) but this is all speculation. Somebody, somewhere has tocherry pick the sensors or factory map them and then pay or absorb the cost. Anyway the issue is neither Nikon, nor Pentax. It's Sony unless you can prove that one or the other company buys err "B" grade sensors.

Using hot pixels as a measuring stickis only valid if you can prove no "pre-treatment" (pixel mapping)to the sensors or post treatment built in (software/hardware correction)..This doen't imply we shouldaccept the situation, nor not recognise theimplications of design specs. Say Nikon wants 0-3 "flaws"Sony says "OK x dollars per piece". Pentax says 0-10 flaws y dollars per piece.BUT we have NO WAY in HECK to prove this, not even by inference. See above reasons re pre and post treatment.....

You Could judge quality somewhat but as the d-whatever vs d80 shows thatmodel to model differences are just as important as brand to brand differences.Maybe Nikon USED to pre treat their sensors, apparently not anymore.. maybe..Maybe Nikon purchasing specs are now "lower" than before.... maybe...maybe...maybe

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ixels&qf=m

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ixels&qf=m

oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 11:19 AM   #28

Alright, admittedly that you all Pentax guys are certainly capable of dealing in some serious damage...I have read through those two links and yes, I agree that hot pixels can occur on any digital camera. But I never encountered them on my recent camera, and(or) haveseen anything likeit on the Nikon D70s.

Regards. (Maybe I should get a Pentax dSLR; sigh...)
Old Oct 21, 2006, 11:23 AM   #29

Actually what truely seperates us from the herd:
GET THE CAMERA YOU LIKE, regardless of brand.................
There all pretty much the same..................
The digital sensor technology is a fairly strong equalizer.........contrary to marketing FUD.
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote