Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 17, 2006, 1:24 AM   #1

Does anyone else have any experience with this? new K100D, first DSLR. I think I may have some "stuck" pixels in my sensor or something? Or maybe this is what dust on the sensor looks like? I started noticing these green dots showing up in pictures when viewing them zoomed in on the LCD of the camera... I thought I may have had a bad pixel or two on the LCD display because they show up in the same spots consistantly, but tonight I confirmed that they show up in the actual images after transfering them to my PC... they can't really be seen unless zoomed in on the image:

but If i zoom in on the area you can clearly see them (circled here to point them out):

Is this normal for a new camera? Is it dust or is this a defect with the sensor itself? Anyone else seen this before?
treaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2006, 1:44 AM   #2

Dust usually shows up as dark spots.

I agree that they look like faulty pixels on the sensor.
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 2:00 AM   #3

Definitely stuck pixels.
You should take it back
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 3:07 PM   #4

I asked the same question some weeks ago and essentially the answer was something along the lines of - most sensssors have them, if you have 4 or less, live with it, as a swap may have a higher number of ded pixels.

mine only showed on very high magnification. I have 3.
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 3:11 PM   #5

I gotta be honest....I would have NEVER seen those if not for the tight crop and you circling them. It's your choice, but I could live with that.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 3:14 PM   #6

Thanks for the input... I was afraid of that. Seems they're called "hot pixels" and they're not toally uncomon (http://www.google.com/search?q=pentax+hot+pixel). Had the camera about 3 weeks and looked through the first pictures i took with it - no hot pixels... it seems they just showed up yesterday, and it seems they also may only show up in low light / longer exposure shots (which I take a lot of :sad: )
treaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 3:19 PM   #7
TDN

Take it back while it's still under warranty. These effects might get worse, so it's best to recieve a new camera/sensor alltogether...
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 4:42 PM   #8
TC3

I have one red pixel on my k100d and it is at the side and very hard to notice. I would be wary about having it replaced as the next camera could be worse. It is not practical to expect a sensor with so many pixels to be perfect but chances are the next one will have a stuck pixel in a less obvious place....or may even have more! The sensor will get em sooner or later and then they can be mapped out by Pentax i believe
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 5:39 PM   #9

I just sent my new K100D back because of a defective sensor, Didn't have stuck pixels but appeared to have some type of contaminationon on the sensor leaving blotchy circles on pictures. A quick examiation of the sensor showed no obvious dust. Since it was brand new I opted to send it back for replacement instead of attempting to clean a brand new sensor and possibly voiding the warranty.
bluemax50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 5:39 PM   #10

I just sent my new K100D back because of a defective sensor, Didn't have stuck pixels but appeared to have some type of contaminationon the sensor leaving blotchy circles on pictures. A quick examiation of the sensor showed no obvious dust. Since it was brand new I opted to send it back for replacement instead of attempting to clean a brand new sensor and possibly voiding the warranty.
bluemax50 is offline   Reply With Quote