Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 18, 2006, 8:49 PM   #51

I assume you mean pre-production.....
Personally, the only thing that will annoy me is if I have no choice in the matter. To compress or not, just like all the other camera companies. There we can be just like all the other camera companies.......oh boy how special..... humor intended.

nadnerb wrote:
Quote:
There's a thread over at dpreview about how the RAW format is infact compressed.
PEF is compressed DNG isn't.

This is all of course on a production model which is not running retail firmware so who knows what the final product will be like...
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 3:27 AM   #52

I agree that there should be an option for compressing the RAW files.

I also agree that Pentax users are being too overly defensive of their cameras, or cameras to be.

Just my opinion.

Regards.
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 7:11 AM   #53

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
I agree that there should be an option for compressing the RAW files.

I also agree that Pentax users are being too overly defensive of their cameras, or cameras to be.

Just my opinion.

Regards.
Exactly and Exactly.

RiceHigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 7:33 AM   #54

Quote:

Exactly and Exactly.

Sounds like you have been wanting to say that all the time! :lol:
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 8:07 AM   #55

I agree that RAW should be lossless compressed, by default if that won't slow down the camera or as an option.

I don't see this issue as being "really important", since it can be 'fixed' by buying few more SD cards (they are not that expensive, you know?). I wouldn't forget about weather sealing and choose another brand just because I don't wantto deal with few more gigabytes.

In the end: Yes, the PEFs will be compressed on the K10D! (see http://www.digital.pentax.co.jp/en/35mm/k10d/spec.html) You didn't even bother to wait for the final product before starting complaining about non-existent issues
Alex Sarbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 9:45 AM   #56

Alex Sarbu wrote:
Quote:
I agree that RAW should be lossless compressed, by default if that won't slow down the camera or as an option.

I don't see this issue as being "really important", since it can be 'fixed' by buying few more SD cards (they are not that expensive, you know?). I wouldn't forget about weather sealing and choose another brand just because I don't wantto deal with few more gigabytes.

In the end: Yes, the PEFs will be compressed on the K10D! (see http://www.digital.pentax.co.jp/en/35mm/k10d/spec.html ) You didn't even bother to wait for the final product before starting complaining about non-existent issues
But in the same spec, the storage capacity of PEF and DNG are both the same! So, what's meant by "Compressed"??

Also, what's wrong to give some suggestions to Pentax at this moment for they to improve before finally ship the production units?

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
Old Oct 19, 2006, 9:56 AM   #57

Obviously, the storage capacity is not the same - the document is not updated yet. But I guess you'd like to start another thread, "Pentax lies about the storage capacity" :roll:

RiceHigh wrote:
Quote:
Also, what's wrong to give some suggestions to Pentax at this moment for they to improve before finally ship the production units?

RiceHigh
That's not what you're doing.

Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:12 AM   #58

Alex Sarbu wrote:
Quote:
Obviously, the storage capacity is not the same - the document is not updated yet. But I guess you'd like to start another thread, "Pentax lies about the storage capacity" :roll:
[align=left]
Quote:
RiceHigh wrote:
You point us to the link but then you say "it is not updated yet". So, what's your point?

[/align]
Quote:
Quote:

RiceHigh
That's not what you're doing.
[align=left][/align]
I simply suggested that "compressed RAW is really important", but then you (folks, alike) bash on me. So, no matter I am doing, I think it's better and more constructive then what you (guys) do.

RiceHigh
Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:48 AM   #59

The storage capacity (which FYI is only an estimation) tableis not updated, doh! But this don't change the fact that they say the PEFs are compressed (and yes, I find hard to believe they would lie about this)

What you're doing is the same you've done on a certain forum - fortunatelly you were banned from there.Pentax knowsabout lossless compression (and I bet there are technicalreasons whythey didn't put it on previous DSLRs), they can't make the K10D lighter nor put a TTL flashsensor via a firmware upgrade.

And RAW compression is only as important as having to pay for more storage space. Why can't you understand this?

Old Oct 19, 2006, 6:40 PM   #60

Alex Sarbu wrote:
Quote:
And RAW compression is only as important as having to pay for more storage space. Why can't you understand this?
Can you prove that?

In my understanding, bigger RAW files mean longer write times. It takes 60% more time to write into SD card 16MB file instead of 10MB file.

And I must say I don't believe that compressing RAW is time consuming process.

Everybody who talks about RAW file compression with zip on their PC is very wrong. Software compression is very different than hardware compression. Dedicated hardware can do that in fractions of a second.

Look at current camcorders and digital cameras, capable of capturing directly into mpeg2 or mpeg4 (DivX in Samsung NV10 for example). They do it *on the fly*. Now take captured DV stream and try to compress it to mpeg2 (DVD) or mpeg4 (DivX) on your PC. It'll take much longer. The same goes for compression. Put into camera some chip for hardware compression and it will compress your RAW in fractions of a second.

K10D is capable of capturing RAW data, processing it and compressing into JPEG at 3 frames per second. Unlimited. While free space on SD card lasts. That means that it takes less than 0,3-0,5 sec. to process it. I don't think that RAW compression is more time consuming process. Usually RAW is compressed using losseless JPEG compression. Therefore I don't believe that running losseless JPEG compression on RAW file is much more time consuming than running lossy JPEG compression.

Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote