Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 20, 2006, 12:32 AM   #61

Obviously Jpeg compression chip is so cheap (every digital camera has one) and necessary (you can't have a RAW only camera). Lossless compression chip is another story. The algorithm is completely different than lossy Jpeg compression. Obviously, Pentax CAN put in such a chip into K10D. Pentax CAN ALSO put in a TTL flash sensor so that it can take TTL flash. And Pentax CAN ALSO pack in a lot of other features that's only available in cameras like D200 and Canon 5D. But the bottom line is Pentax needs to price the camera to compete and need to decide which feature they can omit without upsetting potential owners. If compressed RAW is very important for you, go buy another brand that fits your need.

Canon Rebel 300D/350D/400D never offered spot metering feature (an important feature for the operation of the camera IMO) and yet it is still the most popular camera on the market.
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 3:33 AM   #62

Edvinas: "bigger RAW files mean longer write times" -of course. A fast card like the Sandisk Extreme III can write up to 20MB/sec, I would say the K10D should be able to write about 1 raw/sec even for uncompressed files. RAW compression is a time consuming process, so the speed gain from using compressed files will be smaller than 60%; I think the difference is quite small (after all, K10D is notdesigned to be used machine-gun style).But we can't say more before testing the camera...
Alex Sarbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 3:43 AM   #63

Alex Sarbu wrote:
Quote:
A fast card like the Sandisk Extreme III can write up to 20MB/sec.
Canthe K10 write this fast. Using high speed cards inmy *istDS makes no difference to the 'in camera storage' times whether slow or fast cards are used - it only helps when using a card reader across a USB 2 link to transfer images to a PC.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 3:54 AM   #64

Well, it can write 3 jpegs/sec. At ~5MB/jpeg that means over ~15MB sec.

You will need the fastest available cards for that, though; my Twinmos 150X cardbarely fits.
Alex Sarbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 6:21 AM   #65

Quote:
RiceHigh
Quote:
each file is 17.66 MB large

If K10d has using SiP2290 Image Processor, Future will be possible to support 16 bit RAW files, so "each file is 17.66 MB large" ----- it is very good!

Future, SD card 4GB to 16GB, 64GB, Perhaps within merely 2 or 3 years!

http://210.238.185.197/~asai/PHP/read_thread.php?id_parent=12635&style=0

The K10D firmware is improving, Perhaps possibly will appear the user free choice: "an option for compressing the RAW files".

You can give up PENTAX,Olympus E-400 fit your all needs.

Timon@Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 8:24 AM   #66

Alex Sarbu wrote:
Quote:
Well, it can write 3 jpegs/sec. At ~5MB/jpeg that means over ~15MB sec.

You will need the fastest available cards for that, though; my Twinmos 150X cardbarely fits.
You finally make a point that I'm fully agreed with!

But then finding a card which is large *and* fast isn't that easy. Do note that the new SDHC cards are not particular fast nor cheap, especially when compared with existing SD cards.

I used to have a single 4GB CF card to be used with my *ist D (supplemented by a 1G Ultra II). Now that since I have been with my K100D (and previously *ist DS), I adhered to 1GB SD cards which have total compatibility (according to the original SD standard).

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 8:29 AM   #67

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
RiceHigh
Quote:
each file is 17.66 MB large

If K10d has using SiP2290 Image Processor, Future will be possible to support 16 bit RAW files, so "each file is 17.66 MB large" ----- it is very good!

Future, SD card 4GB to 16GB, 64GB, Perhaps within merely 2 or 3 years!

http://210.238.185.197/~asai/PHP/read_thread.php?id_parent=12635&style=0
[align=left]Interesting link with informative brochures of the major parts, thanks for that!

[/align]
Quote:
The K10D firmware is improving, Perhaps possibly will appear the user free choice: "an option for compressing the RAW files".
[align=left]My advice is NOT to expect firmware upgrade and bonus, when one have decided, don't expect for more!

[/align]
Quote:
You can give up PENTAX,Olympus E-400 fit your all needs.
Olympus is not my cup of tea for the 2X cropped form factor.

Also, I shall not give up Pentax, for the excellent Pentax glass which I own, including the FA*, F*, FA Limited primes which are indeed quite unique in optical characteristics which I love.

RiceHigh

Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:40 AM   #68

Quote:
RiceHigh
Quote:
My advice is NOT to expect firmware upgrade and bonus, when one have decided, don't expect for more!
If K10D future will be possible to support 16 bit RAW files, it will be very meaningful.
Many of the senior users expect 16 bit RAW!

That 16 bit RAW file 17.66 MB or higher are necessary. OK?! Perhaps you do not know them?

Whether you do not like Olympus E-400, it is suitable for you. PENTAX not suited to you.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:41 AM   #69

Quote:
RiceHigh
Quote:
My advice is NOT to expect firmware upgrade and bonus, when one have decided, don't expect for more!
If K10D future will be possible to support 16 bit RAW files, it will be very meaningful.

That 16 bit RAW file 17.66 MB or higher are necessary. OK?! Perhaps you do not know them?

Whether you do not like Olympus E-400, it is suitable for you. PENTAX not suited to you.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 11:32 PM   #70

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
RiceHigh
Quote:

[align=left]Yes, I do not know them. Pls elaborate and explain. What's RAW and what's the bit? What're their implications??

[/align]
Quote:

It's not Pentax not suited to me, but just that you don't want me as a Pentax user simply because my posts don't suit YOU. Enough said.

I think whether you like me or not actually have nothing to do with my selection of my photo gear. Your thinking and suggestion (or many others that alike) are too silly, I'm afraid.

RiceHigh