Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 17, 2006, 5:46 PM   #1
TDN

I was wondering about something...

Over the past months, I've seen many of you post wonderful pictures and quite frankly, I'd like to see even more

In some other forums, you can sometimes see something like a "theme of the week/month". Everyone works towards 1 theme during that entire month and posts their best results.

So I was wondering if you guys'd be interested in doing something similar on here, the Pentax forum.

The idea would be:

We start a thread called "Challenge of the month" or something similar, and we pick an assignment, a theme. (maybe trough a poll...)

For example: "October challenge: fall." (let's pick something more original than that though )

During a month, everyone who wants to takes a picture in that theme and posts it as a reply to that thread and evryone else can comment on it.

It won't really be a "contest", but I'm sure that we'll eventually all want to do the best we can to outdo the other

I've found that this sort of thing can work very stimulating, and by being creative and experimenting, you explore your camera and its limits...

It would also bring the aspect of photography to the front of this forum again, unlike the recent discussions about performance & specs.

I got the concept from the "belgiumdigital" forum: http://www.belgiumdigital.com/challenge

If you see what great results they get there, it'll spice your appetite for more

So, is this a crazy idea or would you guys like it? Let me know what you think...

Thanks,
TDN

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2006, 5:50 PM   #2

Good idea. Not sure if I would rise to the challenge for every theme, but I reckon you would get a good few takers.

Would also help some people who suffer from a lack of direction on occasion.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 5:52 PM   #3
TDN

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
Good idea. Not sure if I would rise to the challenge for every theme, but I reckon you would get a good few takers.

Would also help some people who suffer from a lack of direction on occasion.

Darren
That's the fun part of it, no obligations. If a theme doesn't fit you or you just plain don't feel like it, there are always enough other people (hopefully) to keep the thread going!
+seeing their work might give you inspiration
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 6:09 PM   #4

there's weekly photo challenge section further down in main page of steves forum, very interesting ideas. not to mention the photos

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 6:17 PM   #5

i'm game but i think there should be a poll for a winner.. WHY??
the winner has tothink ofthe next challenge and is responsible for making a contact sheet of all the images in his contest. they would be numbered for use in a poll. it's a snap to create contact sheets of all the images..

CAN we do a poll here???

roy
Old Oct 17, 2006, 6:20 PM   #6

yes we can. whan you start new thread there's an option on the bottom: add a poll. don't know if you can add pictures to that, don't think so, only question.

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 7:02 PM   #7

I get to post first!!!

You guys talk to much

Here is one leaf turning early:

Ira
Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 9:06 PM   #8

I'm game. Sounds like alot of fun. It can be really interesting what type of photos people can come up with to tie in with a particular theme.
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 11:18 PM   #9

I like the idea, and would probably participate most months, as long as I manage to take something worth looking at.

Ira - your picture is lovely! Changing leaves, as a topic? That's appropriate for October. Have to see what I can find this weekend.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 11:25 PM   #10

I'm in too although no leaves turning down under.

TDN, it was your idea so suggest you come up with the first topic..... Kangaroos maybe?
bobinoz is offline   Reply With Quote