Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 17, 2006, 5:33 PM   #1

I saw this topic addressed recently but can't find it and the thread seemed to go off on a battery quality issue. I love my ist but it seems to have a quirk I can't figure out. In an overcast (less than bright sun) situation many if not all pictures, are dark. To be more specfic, landscape pictures with no real focus point or contrast referance. An example would be over a pond or crop field. I have tried the different metering modes with exactly the same results. To use full auto as a referance it appears the camera is chosing to high a shutter speed. Best explained, lack of contrast, dark photos. Take the same light, shoot an area with trees and a perfect shot.Yes, I could experiment with different settings but these random landscape shots really don't require a set up (IMO) and should be point and shoot???? Any ideas would be appreciated.
robert383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2006, 5:43 PM   #2

Oops, I should read the entire post before I reply.

You are describing scenes that are difficult to meter accurately because of contrast. Take an exposure, check the histogram and then correct the exposure with compensation and see if the error is consistent for similar scenes.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 6:03 PM   #3

Ira,

Thank you for your reply. I am a beginner of sorts and interputing a histogram beyond my skill level at this time. I will experiment with exposure compensation but these are shots that for the most part throw aways. First light, sunset, outstanding results where my other digital cameras would produce a washout. I guess what I am trying to say is I am very pleased with the results I am getting but an overcast day, landscape shot...consistantly dark. With the overall results I am getting it seems there may be a problem with my camera. Thanks again.

Bob
Old Oct 17, 2006, 6:10 PM   #4

Try readingthis http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...stograms.shtml

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 6:13 PM   #5

Which specific model? (oopps, a DL I see, ignore first line) Anyways, as a simple example, a wheat field fills 70% of your viewfinder. Meter will render the frame to an averagedarkish tone (I will only use this statement once as a "ballpark" figure since it is not technically correct) say 18% grey, which can also be expressed as 50% black.... SOOOO you must dial in an increase in exposure, say +1 exp comp. The meter is pretty D.U.M.B. You are much smarter than the meter. Trees are about 1X% grey (see only once )so your scene exposure will be more "to your liking". Same w/ the reflectance of water over a pond, it's like a wheat field. Spot meter a light object it will be too dark. Spot meter a dark object it will be too light. Spot meter an 1X% grey card and the image will be identicalto the card.
Get a good book on exposure metering....

Don't think there is a problem w/ the camera at this point. Re-read your above post and think about it again. Your other cameras were just as dumb, onlythe metering baseline was jacked up. Win some lose some.

When you are totally frustrated, shoot RAW and fix later... works for many.

robert383 wrote:

Quote:
I saw this topic addressed recently but can't find it and the thread seemed to go off on a battery quality issue. I love my ist but it seems to have a quirk I can't figure out. In an overcast (less than bright sun) situation many if not all pictures, are dark. To be more specfic, landscape pictures with no real focus point or contrast referance. An example would be over a pond or crop field. I have tried the different metering modes with exactly the same results. To use full auto as a referance it appears the camera is chosing to high a shutter speed. Best explained, lack of contrast, dark photos. Take the same light, shoot an area with trees and a perfect shot.Yes, I could experiment with different settings but these random landscape shots really don't require a set up (IMO) and should be point and shoot???? Any ideas would be appreciated.
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 7:01 PM   #6

Thank you very much! This new camera has provided me with the oppurtunity and wish to grow and learn with some satisfying results to inspire me along the way. This forum is a great place for ideas and to learn as I go.

Bob
Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:02 PM   #7

Has your camera always metered that way? The reason I ask is that it is really easy to get some setting changed and then forget to put it back. You might want to try to reset the camera back to default settings, then change only those that you know you want (like the setting for manual lenses if you use them, and I prefer natural setting to the vivid or bright).

I do find that overallthe DS tends to underexpose more than the K100D. If you shoot in raw you can make adjustments to the picture when you convert it - its more forgiving that way than jpg files are (and it is easier to brighten an underexposed shot, where it is impossible to bring out detail in blown highlights, where there's no information). I haven't noticed its metering being different when the scene has little contrast (like I have the auto focus) vs. when its a high contrast scene.

I use spot metering because that's what I'm used to, and sometimes didn't get the results I expected when using matrix metering. While that can make a big difference when the scene has too much dynamic range, it shouldn't make much of a difference with something where the amount of light is consistent throughout the scene.

Don't know if these random thoughts are useful or not,justa couple of things to try to see ifitmakes a difference.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 5:15 PM   #8

Just an update. Spot metering compounds the problem and again the shutter speed seems suspect. Perhaps I over explained the conditions I was having without the expertise to do so. After todays outing I am dissappointed with the camera in what I now consider not so difficult conditions. There will be overcast days and to delve into the custom menu just doesn't make sense forthe random landscape shots I take so many of. I suppose I will try and contact Pentax and see if I can get some help. Aside from this one issue I have nothing but positive things to say about this camera and any of their products I have used over the years.

Thanks for the help and ideas!

Bob
Old Oct 19, 2006, 6:24 PM   #9

Us OLD D shooters just dialed in +.7 Exposure compensation, and left it there.. as a rule of thumb. Soory no idea how to adj ev for a dl........
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 6:28 PM   #10

I'll give it a try....thanks.