Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 18, 2006, 9:18 AM   #1

Hi everyone. I need help. I need to decide on a telephoto lens for my new K100D before Christmas (this will be my wife and son's gift to me). The cost needs to be $200 or less, which I already know isn't going to give me a great lens, but I'm sure I'll be more than happy with what I get. After seeing and playing around with a few lenses, I have decided that I definitely want the long end of the zoom to be 300mm. I just really love that "reach".

Two lenses which seem to fit my price range andmy 300mm requirement are both made by Tamron. Here are the candidates:

Tamron AF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 LD Macro. It's available for around $130. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...amp;sku=231638

Tamron AF 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR LD Aspherical IF Macro. It'sright at my $200 limit. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

I'm new at this and I don't know much about lenses. So far I only have the 18-55mm kit lens which came with my K100D. To me, I see the obvious advantage of the wider range (both in focal length and f/stop) on the 28-300 lens. I also like the fact that it's smaller and lighter than the 75-300mm lens. I guess my main questionsis; Is it really worth the 77% higher price? Besides the price and size difference, is there a quality difference? Will one be any clearer? I really need some advice. Thanks.

gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2006, 9:54 AM   #2

I don't have either lens - but typically the long the range the lens has to cover, the lower quality it is. This isn't always true of course, but in general.

I would also look at the fact that @ 300mm, on is f/5.6 and the other is 6.3 - depending on what you are shooting, this could make a difference.

I've heard great things about Sigma's70-300 as well - might consider that.

ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 11:08 AM   #3

Thanks for the input. Like I said earlier, I don't expect a 300mm lens for $200 to be spectacular quality, but I'm sure it'll work for me. I'm just trying to decide between my two choices and also if the one is worth the extra $70.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 11:30 AM   #4
TDN

I don't have the 28-300mm, but I do have the 28-200mm XR.

I used it during my entire trip to Turkey and it served very well.

If you buy it new the zoom ring will be a little stiff at first, but don't worry, it'll loosen a little after some use.

Colors seem to be a little less saturated (could be my cheap UV filter too though).

Of course it's not as sharp as a prime, and barrel distortion is noticable, but for the shots I took, not that big of an issue...

Good value if you can get one for a price between 100 and 200$

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 11:50 AM   #5

I'm not familar with the 28-300 but I do have the 75-300mm & have had good luck with it but truthfully I (in my very amateur status) cannot tell much of a difference between that & my Promaster of the same features. I think if you have the time, you may want to surf on Ebay to find the same lens or better quality for less $. BTW, I picked up the tamron with a pentax zx-7 (film) for $125 about 17 months ago. So, the bargains are out there if you have the time. I noticed that both lenses that you're interested are macro so I thought I would post an example of what the lens can do. This is a lotus taken at the Missouri Botanical Garden in late June.

Good Luck with your purchase!

Ron

Attached Images

wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:19 PM   #6

wadue wrote:
Quote:
...I thought I would post an example of what the lens can do. This is a lotus taken at the Missouri Botanical Garden in late June.

Good Luck with your purchase!

Ron
Nice shot! That looks great. I have a feeling that if I were to get the 75-300mm, I would be perfectly happy with it and I will have saved $70. I just like the idea of having the smaller 28-300mm lens to carry. I also noticed that the 75-300 didn't say anything about having any aspherical elements, but the 28-300mm does. I don't know about camera lenses, but I've had rifle scopes with aspherical lenses and they make a BIG difference in brightness and clarity. Especially out at the edges.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:39 PM   #7

Seeing as you have the kit lens, I would recommend the 75-300 for a 2nd lens. I believe it also has a 1:2 macro ratio, which is quite useful.....cheers.....Don.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 7:56 AM   #8

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Seeing as you have the kit lens, I would recommend the 75-300 for a 2nd lens. I believe it also has a 1:2 macro ratio, which is quite useful.....cheers.....Don.
With the two given ranges (28-300 & 75-300) I was thinking it would be nice to have a little over-lap instead of a gap.My kit lens is 18-55mm. If I get the 75-300, I will not have alens that coversfrom 55mm to 75mm. I don't know if that will matter; it's just something I noticed.

On paper, the 28-300mm seems like the better lens. It seems to have better glass and be smaller and lighter. I'm just not sure it will be worth an extra $70 over the 75-300mm.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 11:16 AM   #9

I was thinking the macro addition on the 75-300 would be a good feature to have. I don't think you'd miss those 20mm too much, and if it was critical to have it, you could always do a small crop to make up the difference. Check out some of the other forums and do a search on them for 28-300 lenses, and see what you come up with. That could help..cheers....Don.

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
With the two given ranges (28-300 & 75-300) I was thinking it would be nice to have a little over-lap instead of a gap.My kit lens is 18-55mm. If I get the 75-300, I will not have alens that coversfrom 55mm to 75mm. I don't know if that will matter; it's just something I noticed.

On paper, the 28-300mm seems like the better lens. It seems to have better glass and be smaller and lighter. I'm just not sure it will be worth an extra $70 over the 75-300mm.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 7:57 PM   #10

I would recommend the Tamron 70-300mm, F4-5.6, Macro. Does Macro to 1/2 ratio, which I understand the 75-300mm will not do. Photo of Everglades Snail Kite taken yesterday with Tokina 70-300mm.

Ed
Attached Images