Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 19, 2006, 4:14 PM   #11

Damfino wrote:
Quote:
(if all the raves are true)
They are! I love my FA 50 mm 1.4!:|

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 4:16 PM   #12

Very definitely, the Pentax DA 18-55mm & 50-200mm.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 5:12 PM   #13

i was wondering why you would not take a small lens like the 50 with you. i mean, it'll go in your pants pocket. i definately think there will be times onboard that you will want the speed of a 1.4.. i use to be an exclusive available light guy in my film days..

roy
Old Oct 19, 2006, 6:35 PM   #14

Hi all

I Am Sort of in the same Boat. Next year is our 25TH, So last week we booked a Cruise To the Western Caribeen.
I have Pretty much decided that I will just take my FA28-105 3.2-4.5 and Sigma 70-300MM. I was thinking about it and while i would love to take my 50MM 1.4. I really Just want the DS for Some exterior boat Shots and for the Shore excursions.
I Want To relax and enjoy the Shows and all the entertainment, Not Be Worried about getting that perfect Shot. My Wife has an 5MP Oly P&S , that She will Bring. So If we want Pictures she can use that.
However, i was thinking about an Early Bday present To Myself, the Pentax FA 16-45 F4. LBA Is Rearing its Ugly Head Again.
A question For You Guys, Would you bring a Laptop Or just Stock Up On Memory cards?: Thats my Big Issue

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 6:55 PM   #15

Damfino wrote:
Quote:
Hey, I know you from the Dis boards. (Where I go by another b/w comedian reference.)

I would think that for a cruise, the zooms would be fine, as there probably won't be quite so much dark photography that couldn't be taken without a tripod or at least somewhere to rest the camera. (A Clamperpod might be a good choice for such a trip due to its diminutive size.)

I would think that the 50mm 1.4 would be a terrific Disney lens though, and is the next lens that I'm PLANNING on buying (we'll see if it works out that way though.) I suspect that the extra sharpness that this lens gives (if all the raves are true) might be enough to overcome its lack of a zoom - I'll just have to maybe do more cropping afterwards. Certainly no zoom lens (that's remotely affordable) will come anywhere close to the speed of that 50mm.
Hey Groucho, is that you?!! :blah:

I'mstill considering the 50mm 1.4 but Iworry about the times that it won't be wide enough. Decisions, decisions!! But I agree, it does seem like it would be an excellent Disney lens. We're doing the 3-day Wonder next month along with a couple of days at Disney and I'm trying to make up my mind before then.

JeanneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 7:46 PM   #16

Yep, that would be me. Someone already had that name here.

I'd nab the 50 if I were you, I've heard nothing but raves. If I had thought it, it might have actually considered getting that before the 50-200 that I got - they were the same price and I already have a manual 70-210. Of course, that one's a bit bigger and heavier than the 50-200, which was a big draw for me. But that's one thing that I think I'd love about the 50 - I love a small lens, as long as the quality is there.

If you're worried about wide, you can nab a Zenitar fish-eye too, of course it's manual focus (if that bothers you) but it's plenty wide!

JeanneB wrote:
Quote:
Damfino wrote:
Hey Groucho, is that you?!! :blah:

I'mstill considering the 50mm 1.4 but Iworry about the times that it won't be wide enough. Decisions, decisions!! But I agree, it does seem like it would be an excellent Disney lens. We're doing the 3-day Wonder next month along with a couple of days at Disney and I'm trying to make up my mind before then.
Damfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 3:17 AM   #17

Personally I would take the laptop. Went on holiday recently and bought a laptop from my sister-in-law for £200. Best investment for long-term shooting. At the end of each day I could d/l the photos and get rid of any rubbish (out of focus, poor compostion etc). It is much easier to see them on a laptop than on the camera screen and it leaves the cards free for the next day.

I took around 1500 RAW images which would have filled around 17 cards, but got by on just 5.

Hope this helps.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 7:18 AM   #18

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
A question For You Guys, Would you bring a Laptop Or just Stock Up On Memory cards?: Thats my Big Issue
A laptop would be more versatile, but it's extra weight to lug around & there's alway the risk of gtting it nicked.

Memory cards have dropped considerably in price. If you shot in the highest quality JPEG, then at 300 plus shots per 1G card (UK£16 for a Kingston standard speed card) would give you some idea of how many cards you might need if you can visualise how many shots you might take on the cruise.

1500 images taken in highest quality JPEG would consume about 5 1G cards.

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 9:13 AM   #19

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:

Phil
Another option for you would be a stand-alone hard drive/card reader. I have a 60GB version that I got for $100 after rebate. It runs off batteries and will read just about any card out there. You can't review the shots on it, but there's an LCD status screen that tells you when/how many files were transferred. Also, it works like a normal drive and card reader when you connect it to your computer. It's the size of a PDA.

Russ

http://secure.serverlab.net/shop/mer..._Code=FlashPac

rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:19 AM   #20

I will take my SL200 bag and all my primesincl Zenitar 16mm 2.8, FA28mm 2.8, FA50mm 1.4, FA100mm 2.8 Macro, FA135mm 2.8 , A* 300mm F/4 & AF360 flash. I thought of not taking the 300mm if not for the fact that I need that for the 5 ports of stopover.
I cannot wait for retirement and survive on my photo skills. Yeah right.

Daniel

PentaxDan wrote:
Quote:
Here's the senario:

You are going on a cruise into the Caribbean w/5 Ports of Call. You are taking your K100.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote