Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 20, 2006, 12:43 PM   #21

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
A question For You Guys, Would you bring a Laptop Or just Stock Up On Memory cards?: Thats my Big Issue
A laptop would be more versatile, but it's extra weight to lug around & there's alway the risk of gtting it nicked.

Memory cards have dropped considerably in price. If you shot in the highest quality JPEG, then at 300 plus shots per 1G card (UKĀ£16 for a Kingston standard speed card) would give you some idea of how many cards you might need if you can visualise how many shots you might take on the cruise.

1500 images taken in highest quality JPEG would consume about 5 1G cards.
Catbells

Thanks for the reply. My Biggest fear is that the laptop and My cameras Will Not Fit into the safe!! I Know I can put them In the pursers safe, But then the hassle of Getting It when I want It.

You also Touched on a Subject that i am struggling With Now-RAW Or JPEG. Normally I Shot RAW. But I really Dont want To take 700 Or more pictures in RAWand have to Convert. If i Shoot In RAW I will almost have To carry the laptop ( Only 90 Per 1 GIG Card). I refuse to Get an size larger card. As i Subscribe To the TheoryMultipule Cards the Less I stand To lose, If Someting VBad happens

Phil

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 12:45 PM   #22

rfortson wrote:
Quote:
Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
A question For You Guys, Would you bring a Laptop Or just Stock Up On Memory cards?: Thats my Big Issue

Phil
Quote:
Another option for you would be a stand-alone hard drive/card reader. I have a 60GB version that I got for $100 after rebate. It runs off batteries and will read just about any card out there. You can't review the shots on it, but there's an LCD status screen that tells you when/how many files were transferred. Also, it works like a normal drive and card reader when you connect it to your computer. It's the size of a PDA.

Russ

http://secure.serverlab.net/shop/mer..._Code=FlashPac
Quote:
Russ
Quote:
Thanks for the reply- thats just might be Worth Considering. BTW a friend Suggested An I-POD.
Quote:
Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 1:24 PM   #23

I wouldn't go the iPod route. Everything I read about the adapter to transfer images was bad. It was extremely slow and the battery would die before a 1GB card could be tansferred. My bro-in-law used an image tank similar to what Russ suggested. It worked pretty good. Which also reminds me that he never showed me the "good" pictures he took on St. Maarten's nude beach. :G
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 2:44 PM   #24

Another Groucho fan!

Anyway, the storage topic has been talked about a lot on the Disney forums that JeanneB and I frequent sometimes. My take is that hard drives are incredibly, incredibly unreliable and I would never trust them as my main storage, especially on a trip. This is especially true for laptop hard drives, like used in the standalone card backup devices - and if they're getting bad sectors instead of having a complete failure, it will be relatively tricky to notice.

What I do is bring along a laptop that has a CD burner and burn CDs or DVDs after transferring the pictures off the card. That gives me two places to recover the photos if one of them fails. It would be pretty upsetting if a hard drive full of photos failed as soon as the vacation was over!

If you have an older laptop, it might be worth picking up an external CD/DVD burner, especially since an older one is more likely to have a hard drive that's on its last legs. If there's any question, use a diagnostic disk (available from the hard drive manufacturer's website) to do a full scan of the hard drive to ensure that it's error-free.

If you're concerned about leaving a laptop out, a cablelock might be a good thing to bring along, they're small and you can look them around almost anything. A dedicated thief can cut them but it will stop the casual thief.

If you don't have a laptop, I'd buy more memory cards before buying a hard drive backup device. They will be more reliable, smaller, and also will not need to have the hard drive to be replaced when it dies in a year or two.

Damfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 11:05 PM   #25

Another option for cruisers is on the ship. The ship's camera/photo store may offer burning to CD/DVD as a service. I'm pretty sure I saw that when I was on board a Royal Carribean cruise. Check with your cruise line or travel agent.

[quote]Another Groucho fan!

An inspiration to me everyday. :-)
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote