Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 18, 2006, 8:13 PM   #1

Here's the senario:

You are going on a cruise into the Caribbean w/5 Ports of Call. You are taking your K100.

You have room in your bag for 2 lenses. You own the 2 kit zooms (18-55 & 50-200) and a 50mm 1.4MF A lens.
Which lens gets left behind?

If this sounds like a real dilema it's because it is, I leave on Friday. Majority rules, my photos are in your hands fellow photogs, HELP PLEASE......
Dan
PentaxDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2006, 8:36 PM   #2

I'd leave the 50mm behind. You can cover just about any situation with the kit and the zoom. The fast 50 would be useful indoors, but on a cruise I imagine the majority of the time will be spent outdoors, where the other lenses will be fine.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 9:55 PM   #3

I'm with Russ. Leave the 50mm behind. You'll have almost all situations covered with the kit and 50-200...cheers.......Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:15 PM   #4

Take the 2 zooms. Then stick thatsmall 50mm in your suitcase, it's not very big.

Or buy a bigger camera bag.

Seriously, the two zooms are good quality and will be fine for most of what you want to remember on a cruise. There's always flash for indoor shots - think of all the people with their p&s cameras using their flashes.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 5:44 AM   #5

Where that 50 will come in handy is when you want indoor shots and cannot use a flash. It does not have much reach but you might want to use it during the shows. I also expect that the 50mm simply takes better quality pictures than the other kit lenses, I know that my 50mm 1.7 is incredible. No, if it was me, I think I would leave the 18-55 at home before I left the 50. But, as others have said, that 50 is so small there MUST be some spot you can put it in your carry on luggage.

Which ports are you hitting?

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 6:25 AM   #6

Everyone know how much I like to take the opposing view but, not this time.

I agree with all leave the 50mm. If you must take it, there's room like everyone suggested, in the suitcase.

I would like to go one step further. If you have a TC take it with you - you might find good use for it when out at sea. Carefull with salty dew, so wipe-down your equipment.

Have fun, enjoy, be safeand when you get back please share - stay away from the connected world whilst you're on board.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 8:55 AM   #7

I have this same problem as PentaxDan,sort of. I'm going on a cruise next month with my K100and since I only own the kit lens and the 50-200 I don't have to decide which to leave home but I'm afraid the 18-55 without flash isn't going to be sufficient for the shows. I've been debating on getting the 50mm 1.4 but I think I would rather have a third lens that's more of a walkaround lens that would covera portion of the range of my first two, but faster so I could use it for low-light situations. Any suggestions? My budget would probably be around $150-$250.
JeanneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:43 AM   #8

I'm not much for wide-angle shots, so I end up carrying around two manual lenses - a 24mm 2.8 and a 50mm 1.4 instead of the 18-55 kit lens. They are both small lenses and offer me the speed for indoor shots, then I have the DA 50-200 for outdoor. I find that it works well in generalfor me, but does make compromises that I'm not sure are the best for a cruise. They are manual lenses so it adds another step to set exposure and you have to focus them yourself. They aren't zooms so you have to change lenses often. They don't quite cover the same range as the kit lens, so you might have to use your feet for composition. They are both fast, small, light, easy to carry and take great pictures so I use them all the time. As M lenses, they are less expensive than the FA versions. However, I'm not sure that they would be the best solution on a cruise.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 1:24 PM   #9

OK, I am convinced. I just went out and bought the Lowepro REZO 160 AW and now the bod and all 3 lenses fit. Kinda tight, but OK. Only need one lens hood for both zooms. Hoooooray!!!!!!!

Dan
PentaxDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 4:04 PM   #10

Hey, I know you from the Dis boards. (Where I go by another b/w comedian reference.)

I would think that for a cruise, the zooms would be fine, as there probably won't be quite so much dark photography that couldn't be taken without a tripod or at least somewhere to rest the camera. (A Clamperpod might be a good choice for such a trip due to its diminutive size.)

I would think that the 50mm 1.4 would be a terrific Disney lens though, and is the next lens that I'm PLANNING on buying (we'll see if it works out that way though.) I suspect that the extra sharpness that this lens gives (if all the raves are true) might be enough to overcome its lack of a zoom - I'll just have to maybe do more cropping afterwards. Certainly no zoom lens (that's remotely affordable) will come anywhere close to the speed of that 50mm.

JeanneB wrote:
Quote:
I have this same problem as PentaxDan,sort of. I'm going on a cruise next month with my K100and since I only own the kit lens and the 50-200 I don't have to decide which to leave home but I'm afraid the 18-55 without flash isn't going to be sufficient for the shows. I've been debating on getting the 50mm 1.4 but I think I would rather have a third lens that's more of a walkaround lens that would covera portion of the range of my first two, but faster so I could use it for low-light situations. Any suggestions? My budget would probably be around $150-$250.
Damfino is offline   Reply With Quote