Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 20, 2006, 12:19 PM   #11

Ritro wrote:
Quote:
But for birds, put salt on their tail and they will sit still for as long as you want, taking your time for birding :idea:

Richard.
But you've got to catch them first :!:
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 12:22 PM   #12

The trick is shoot 50 shots, keep the best three of four. Sometimes birds will give you what you want in a short period of time and other times I will spend an hour or two to get what I want.

The weather has been so bad here lately I have not even bothered to take the camera out of the case.

How do you set your ISO at 1200?

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 12:37 PM   #13

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Catbells wrote:
Yes 300mm (in effective 35mm terminology) & yes ISO 1200
Quoted from an an old thread:
Quote:
I am getting mixed up AGAIN - please someone explain to me once and for all. I was told that all lengths are quoted in 35mm terms - therefore x-300mm is really a (times 1.6) x-480mm on a digital. Is the 18-35mm film lens a 28-55mm approx on a digital.
They are really what it says on them, 18-55 mm, 50-200 mm, 300 mm etc. BUT since the CCD sensor is smaller than a traditional film negative, when the picture is enlarged to a copy they give you the effect of a lens that is 1,5 times longer than if the same lens is used on a traditional film camera. Sothey give you pictures as if they would have been 27-82.5, 75-300, 450 etcon a film camera.

Mostphotographers use this "old" measure because they are familiar with it. Compare with horse powers, it made sense when most people could refer to the strenght of a horse and wanted to know how strong the car engine was.

Quote ends

My DS only gives 200-400-800-1600 and 3200 ISO options. Does K100D allow you to adjust in between these values?
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 1:24 PM   #14

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
How do you set your ISO at 1200?
Ooops, it should have stated ISO 1600 - sorry for the confusion; I could have been really bad and posted an edited Exif, but I guess that an honest mistake should be forgiven.

Just to clear things up, I've reposted the image complete with Exif data which shows that the focal length at 200mm (focal length in 35mm film - 300mm)
Attached Images

Old Oct 20, 2006, 2:31 PM   #15

Focal length never changes, it is the crop of the viewable image that changes, but not the focal length.

My 300mm 645 lens on my DS is still a 300mm lens, it is just cropped by a tremendous amount.

That does not make it a 600mm lens!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 3:07 PM   #16

Don't worry - I understood what you posted (after the change to 1600 for the ISO rating). But my question is this - I've been trying to take pictures of hummingbirds through a not-very-clean window at 1600 and all of them are very noisy. When I use Neat Image, I loose what little detail is there. How did you get yours so noise-free and with such detail? Its SO much better than what I've managed so far.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 3:38 PM   #17

Yeah, forgot to add: I also think the Blackbird shot is a real nice one, clear and sharp.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 3:41 PM   #18

It is Saturday morning and the weather is fine but (as usual around here) very windy. We will be going in to the city and I will be carrying the 'DS with the 400mm lens and the pistol grip I scored among a box of smelly camera stuff I bought this week.

With luck I should get a few shots of flying rats (aka pigeons) for practice.

John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 6:12 PM   #19

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
How did you get yours so noise-free and with such detail? Its SO much better than what I've managed so far.
The original image is somewhat noisy.

Because my monitor resolution is set to 1280x960, I use Adobe Photoshop to resize the image to 1280x854 using Bicubic Sharper which has the effect of producing a sharper image to view on screen.

I apply the following sequence but do not necessarily apply then all as it rather depends on the image:

1. Adjust the histogram tweak the black levels to darken the image, the light level to increase brightness & the mid-band levels to suit.
2. Adjust the Shadows/Highlights to bring out the necessary detail
3.Apply USM typically 20%

The image that was posted was then reduced in DCE (Digital Camera Enhance) using the Lanczos filter to enhance the sharpness of the smaller file in terms of resolution & file size for uploading.

I hope the attached image shows this - incidentally the original image is a 100% crop.
Attached Images

Old Oct 20, 2006, 7:56 PM   #20

That's interesting - your original image does show noise, but not all that much. Maybe my problem is being too worried about the noise when the picture is full sized and using a noise reduction program there. Maybe I should resize first and see what how it looks there, before getting carried away with Neat Image. Otherwise our steps are similar until you get to your final resizing. I'veused CS2 for resizing - think I'll have to check into DCE - your blackbird is impressive.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote