Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 20, 2006, 8:26 PM   #21

Its not a bird but it was taken with my DS and Vivitar f5.6 400mm prime.

Attached Images

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 8:40 AM   #22

Very nice - obviously taken from ground level to give it impact (not with you I trust)
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 2:45 AM   #23

robar wrote:
Quote:
yep,,, that's how it's done.. how do you like the vivitar??
post something at 5.6

roy

Sorry Roy, it is a Sigma, not Vivitar. Originally an auto focus with Minolta (?) mount. I found the lens covered in filth in a junk shop and changed the mount. Also added an external aperture control so I have to use it fully manual. I think it is good when I get everything set right at the same time!
John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 3:05 AM   #24

Here is one of the flying rats that came within range, I am not really experienced enough to say just what is wrong with it but I feel it is not a very good picture at all!

1/125sec at 400mm at 5.6. 100%** crop and no post processing of any kind.

**I assume 100% crop means cropped from an image displayed at 100%?
Old Oct 22, 2006, 5:40 AM   #25

You don't say what the camera settings were i.e shutter speed, aperture, ISO which is useful information wrt to camera shake, depth of field etc.

One of the difficulties that frustrated me when upgrading my Fujui S602, was that more expensive camera didn't seem to produce such vibrant shots as the lower end products. It was explained that the image is left pretty much alone so that the raw material (not RAW format) can be worked with (enhanced) to bring out the detail which will be different from one user to another. Lower end camera include quite a lot of 'in camera' processing so that they look good without too much extra work - dSRL's by comparison don't but the detail is there once they are post processed.

If the details been added, then you can't take it away - that's why dSRLs produce slightly bland images by comparison straight out of the camera.

I applied the sequence of post processing that I tend to do as standard which I believe produces a more pleasing result.

The amount that is applied in each stage is subjective & down to the individual.

Hope you like the result - it's been reduced in file size to meet the requirements of uploading here.
Attached Images

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 2:58 PM   #26

Thanks Catbells, that certainly improved it a lot. Obviously I now have to learn all the appropriate post processing techniques!
Old Oct 22, 2006, 7:13 PM   #27

John, the truth is that a small bird is still a small bird, even when you are looking down 200 - 300mm or more worth of lens. The best way to get you hot shot is to get closer to the subject. heavy cropping never looks good.

Also shooting through glass is just one more factor to undermine a quality shot.

Try setting up a feeding station / putting fat onto a branch etc, to get the birds into a fixed location of your choice.

I have set my feeder up just 10 feet away from my garden shed.I have the door partly open - Unfortuntely, I don't have the patience to sit for long periods.

norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote