Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 22, 2006, 4:11 PM   #11

I bought a Patriot Ultra 2gigfrom Newegg for about $40, 30 after rebate....personally being in the IT field I respect SanDisk for what they have done (successful marketing) just as I do with any larger company, but there are so many choices comming out from reputable brands that are more competitive price wise it is hard to pass them up....

Read the reviews on other cards and decide what you want to spend, if you have extra money you don't need then by all means buy a SanDisk, but if you do your homework, and buy from a reputable company (Corsair, Patriot, Kingston, OCZ...etc) you might be able to save some $$, I know I did.

Also even with SanDisk I have heard of cards dumping, which is why I bring my laptop with me on all trips and pull all the images off of my card every night, that way there is a backup just in case.

Good luck
Mathew J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 4:47 PM   #12

Hi damfino

Not sure were you priced or what size Ultra 2 cards you priced. But i just purchased two Sandisk 1G Ultra 2 SD Cards for $34.00 ea on New egg

Heres the Link

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820180615

BK/Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 5:28 PM   #13

With K100D there's no point to use cards faster than 66x. In fact, I've found that my Lexar 40x performs faster on my DS than Sandisk Ultra II 66x card!

I've managed to fire 24 continuous shots in one minute with Lexar Platinum 40x and just 20 shots with Sandisk Ultra II 66x.

I must say I am dissapointed in Sandisk.

Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 6:02 PM   #14

Black Knight: I'm talking exclusively about 2g cards. ZipZoomFly's $55 after rebate for a 2gb Ultra2 beats $35 for a 1g. $35 for a single gig is at least double what much of the competition goes for.

Mathew J, I agree about the marketing. As for the laptop, by and large, the worst memory card is more reliable than the best hard drive... I burn a disc every night as I do IT support for a large company and have seen way too many hard drives fail, to say nothing of plenty in my PC work on the side.

Edvinas, has anyone done any tests of DS vs DL/K1x0D? The DS only has a USB 1.1 interface, possibly in the process of upgrading it to USB2 they also sped up the internal speeds? I don't know, just wondering.

Mathew J wrote:
Quote:
I bought a Patriot Ultra 2gigfrom Newegg for about $40, 30 after rebate....personally being in the IT field I respect SanDisk for what they have done (successful marketing) just as I do with any larger company, but there are so many choices comming out from reputable brands that are more competitive price wise it is hard to pass them up....

Read the reviews on other cards and decide what you want to spend, if you have extra money you don't need then by all means buy a SanDisk, but if you do your homework, and buy from a reputable company (Corsair, Patriot, Kingston, OCZ...etc) you might be able to save some $$, I know I did.

Also even with SanDisk I have heard of cards dumping, which is why I bring my laptop with me on all trips and pull all the images off of my card every night, that way there is a backup just in case.

Good luck
Damfino is offline   Reply With Quote