Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 28, 2006, 6:22 PM   #81

I found one from a few years ago (non-Pentaxian, though). A skylite and its shaft.

Lou

Attached Images

derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 10:34 PM   #82

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
oreo57 wrote:
Quote:
Very nice, but I think you have to cheat on this one. But that's only my opinion.

Hey - I like your little adjustment! I admit, it took me a couple of minutes to figure out what you did - but now that I see what you did, it makes a significant improvement.
OK, I fail photography 101. What did he do? I can flip back and forth and it seems there is a slight difference but dang if I can figure out what it is!

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 10:58 PM   #83

I "erased" the back handrail mounting bracket in the left center. Just thought it was out of place and distracting....... No real big deal....

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
mtngal wrote:
Quote:
oreo57 wrote:
Quote:
Very nice, but I think you have to cheat on this one. But that's only my opinion.

Hey - I like your little adjustment! I admit, it took me a couple of minutes to figure out what you did - but now that I see what you did, it makes a significant improvement.
OK, I fail photography 101. What did he do? I can flip back and forth and it seems there is a slight difference but dang if I can figure out what it is!

Tim
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 11:24 PM   #84

And here I wrote a whole wordy missive to give hints about what you did, but you beat me to it.

It's so obvious and distracting when you see the version with it cloned out! And it actually brings up a couple of other "lessons" - first, things that are every day objects to you can be distracting to someone else, I often "tune" them out and don't see them.

Second, its too easy to fixate on some things when doing extensive pp, and miss something else. This particular picture had a number of problems, but I thought it worked the best of what I took when it came to b&w (I don't use it much so don't really have an eye for what will look good).

I'm not really good about horizon lines - even though I thought I had been careful with this one, I still had to rotate it slightly to deal with a not-quite-staight horizonal line. Then, since I was looking up slightly, the vertical lines showed some "falling away." I used the skew function in CS2 to straighten the vertical lines. When I converted it to b&w, the decorative tile that is on the wall below the landing looked terrible, so I cropped the bottom of the picture out (and cut out some distracting pipes mounted on the wall on one side, and other distracting lines at the top of the picture). Then I used levels to add contrast. By this time I was pretty pleased with the picture, and wasn't as noticing as I had been!

As you can see from the above, I have no problem with doing pp and using whatever is available. Cloning out the railing bracket was the right thing to do and makes it a better picture.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 11:40 PM   #85

Devil is in the details

Sorry to steal your missive thunder...........but it is a wonderful explanation into the little details. Me I just went "BRACKET BAD"... and took it out.. I'll leave your image alone for now. :G Actually I've been doing more "cloning brush" type stuff lately and this one was good practice..... though in B&W it is a lot easier than color I guess...I'm more of a hack at this stuff. Even only use Corel PP11 ....:-)

oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 1:44 AM   #86

...here's one of many
Attached Images

jmack100d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 1:44 AM   #87

jmack100d wrote:
Quote:
...here's one of many
and another one...

Attached Images

jmack100d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 2:39 AM   #88

And here's my first digital BW! Thanks all for the inspiration! I call it "keep on dreamin' " :-)

Kjell
Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:50 PM   #89
PDL

One last image - did it tonight with LightRoom - I need more practice with digital. B&W does make you see things differently - now to go play with split toning.

PDL.

PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 1:11 AM   #90

My humble contribution as a new entry in this forum. Shot taken with my DS during a walk in my town, one month ago, in sunset light.
BW conversion from jpg using picasa.
Attached Images

rob_o_cor is offline   Reply With Quote