Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 21, 2006, 1:49 PM   #11

I think the bokeh is great in both photos. But bokeh for me is an afterthought. The subject is much more important and interesting in these and all photos. I do hate the hexagram ones from the kit lens.
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 2:21 PM   #12

RiceHigh wrote: I think it's pretty nice. I like how the focus gradually and evenly dissolves into the picture. BTW, is this one of your shots?

Russ

rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 2:38 PM   #13

Would have been better if it was his image, it's not........
Some may consider that "bad form old chap".....
As to the Bokeh of the, I assume 70mm pancake wide open, too ringy for my taste in the extreme background highlights............. de-enlarged (?) it's not so bad....and the foreground softness is fine to me.

I take it back... Mr. Day has a thred going on this at dpreview.. Sorry.

BenjaminXYZ wrote:

Quote:
No wonder...NO REPLY, because it was RiceHigh's thread. I was at firstthinking....hmmm, what the?? I thought threads in this Pentax forum (as long as it is about posting pictures) will surely get a lot of replys...hmmm.

I then glanced at theposter's nameand, lol and behold, it was RiceHigh.

BTW RiceHigh, the color looks rather "sleepy" IMO, and the bokeh also looks rather fuzzy (smoky)like IMO!...I like bokeh withthe "dept" andcrystal clearfeelingto it. (I don't know how to really explain it)

Probably this example could speak for it;
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 7:56 PM   #14

Replying to the original question from Ricehigh. . .

I am fairly new to photography so I should probably keep my mouth shut and listen to my elders. However, never being one to heed my own good advice I will offer my own $.02. My understanding of bokeh was the background being so out of focus that it was more of a colored field with no detail discernable. If that is the case, I don't know that you really have any bokeh to speak of. As far as the lens goes, it looks like it is capable of some nice pictures though, which one is it? If my understanding of what bokeh means is incorrect, hopefully one of my elders will correct me.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 3:26 AM   #15

RiceHigh wrote: My impression is that the bokeh in this picture is rather fuzzy and is not quite smooth throughout the whole frame for the out-of-cocus areas.

Actually this is the new Pentax Pancake DA 70/2.4 Limited lens and the sample picture is not mine. It is just posted by a new owner recently on the net.

Whilst I was surprised to see this user result (a bit disappointed too), the official samples taken by the K10D with this Pancake lens seems to be quite good (also for the bokeh, too).

So, I wonder why..

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 4:13 AM   #16
TDN

Next time please post the photographers name and a link to where you found the image too please.

Please respect the author, it's the least you can do...

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 4:39 AM   #17

TDN wrote:
Quote:
Next time please post the photographers name and a link to where you found the image too please.

TDN
Before you make unreasonable accuse that I do not respect the author, what's your ground on this?

I quoted the link, but not attached the image to the post. The pbase link shows clearly that it is under the author's name as the folder name, too. Moreover, I have never mentioned the picture is mine.

Thus, do everyone quotes any link in any post needed to make an achnowlegment to the author. Just say do you EVER need to quote "Pentax" when a Pentax gear user manual link is quoted, just becoz Pentax is simply the author??

Do note also that any copyrights rule is simply that no one can duplicate any contents without prior permission and achnowledgement. But quoting a link is not copying! Get it?

Whilst you ask some body to respect others, it seems that you don't, not even for the minimal respectiveness. I have the feeling that you replied to my post in a very personal way. Nothing more than that.

RiceHigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 8:14 AM   #18

I've already made my "apology" but I do feel that a few things should have been clearer because 1) As we sometime use aliases, the link told people nothing. Afterall it COULD really be you. 2)People often just assume things. 3) On a forum things could be read fast w/ little thought and subtile things missed.
A brief explaination of where the image was from probably should have been given. It is polite and customary to cite a reference, especially at a forum where things are read fast and it is easy to overlook the obvious, so to speak...
So lets just leave it at that........ I'd say the same to Ben but he has already corrected his faux-pax......:-)

RiceHigh wrote:
Quote:
TDN wrote:
Quote:

TDN
Before you make unreasonable accuse that I do not respect the author, what's your ground on this?

I quoted the link, but not attached the image to the post. The pbase link shows clearly that it is under the author's name as the folder name, too. Moreover, I have never mentioned the picture is mine.

Thus, do everyone quotes any link in any post needed to make an achnowlegment to the author. Just say do you EVER need to quote "Pentax" when a Pentax gear user manual link is quoted, just becoz Pentax is simply the author??

Do note also that any copyrights rule is simply that no one can duplicate any contents without prior permission and achnowledgement. But quoting a link is not copying! Get it?

Whilst you ask some body to respect others, it seems that you don't, not even for the minimal respectiveness. I have the feeling that you replied to my post in a very personal way. Nothing more than that.

RiceHigh
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 9:24 AM   #19

Benjaminxyz

I think I can barge in this one as the subject matter of this thread is a lot less subjective and negative than the others. Normally I would not.

Ricehigh posted on Sat 3 a.m. (EST) and you were impatient enough for some reply by 5 a.m.

FYI this forum is of slower pace than that of Phil and a lot of no-so-interesing posts (like my lousy pix) were not getting any response at all.

Daniel
Toronto

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
No wonder...NO REPLY, because it was RiceHigh's thread. I was at firstthinking....hmmm, what the?? I thought threads in this Pentax forum (as long as it is about posting pictures) will surely get a lot of replys...hmmm.

I then glanced at theposter's nameand, lol and behold, it was RiceHigh.

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 9:44 AM   #20

I am not sure why we are discussing Richard's photo, without him posting it, but the bokeh is fairly minimal considering it was shot at 2.4 and is not what I would consider good bokeh. I would have responded to this question no matter who posted it.

I like it to take out the background enough to place emphasis on the subject of the shot like this one does. This was shot a f/4 with a 80-200 f/2.8 lens.

I realize it is easier to get bokeh like this with a longer lens, but the posted image just doesn't work for me so far as bokeh goes.

1/350 sec, f/4, 80-200mm @ 200mm

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote