Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 23, 2006, 9:47 AM   #21

Yes, that IS nice
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 9:50 AM   #22

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
I am not sure why we are discussing Richard's photo, without him posting it, but the bokeh is fairly minimal considering it was shot at 2.4 and is not what I would consider good bokeh.

I like it to take out the background enough to place emphasis on the subject of the shot like this one does. This was shot a f/4 with a 80-200 f/2.8 lens.

I realize it is easier to get bokeh like this with a longer lens, but the posted image just doesn't work for me so far as bokeh goes.

1/350 sec, f/4, 80-200mm @ 200mm

Tom

I will say that one shot posted to start this thread is reason enough to really pass any judgement on a lens.

The bokeh is just "ok" for the posted link photo.

I like this posted example very much and can't comment on it being much better than it is.

The "nit picking" is a bit tiresome though.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 9:58 AM   #23

Tom ,

You have a good one there. What do you guys think about this one

A300mmF4

http://www.pbase.com/danieltong/image/63767603/large

Daniel

Quote:
I am not sure why we are discussing Richard's photo, without him posting it, but the bokeh is fairly minimal considering it was shot at 2.4 and is not what I would consider good bokeh. I would have responded to this question no matter who posted it.

I like it to take out the background enough to place emphasis on the subject of the shot like this one does. This was shot a f/4 with a 80-200 f/2.8 lens.

Tom
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 10:13 AM   #24

It will do.........
Very nice shot.....
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:17 AM   #25

Yes that is what I was talking about for bokeh, the original post is just a shallow DOF shot with the background getting more and more out of focus.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:19 PM   #26

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
I am not sure why we are discussing Richard's photo, without him posting it, but the bokeh is fairly minimal considering it was shot at 2.4 and is not what I would consider good bokeh. I would have responded to this question no matter who posted it.

I realize it is easier to get bokeh like this with a longer lens, but the posted image just doesn't work for me so far as bokeh goes.

1/350 sec, f/4, 80-200mm @ 200mm

Tom
Ok, to clarify for the new kid, what is the definition of Bokeh? I had thought it to mean that the background was so blurred that all detail was gone, like in Tom and Daniel's pictures. (Both of which are very good by the way). Is this correct or does bokeh also include an out of focus background where the objects are still readily identifiable, just blurry?

Thanks,

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 2:09 PM   #27

Actually includes both foreground and background "blur" .

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/bokeh.shtml