Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 21, 2006, 3:12 AM   #1

http://www.pbase.com/richardday/image/68840089

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2006, 5:03 AM   #2

No wonder...NO REPLY, because it was RiceHigh's thread. I was at firstthinking....hmmm, what the?? I thought threads in this Pentax forum (as long as it is about posting pictures) will surely get a lot of replys...hmmm.

I then glanced at theposter's nameand, lol and behold, it was RiceHigh.

BTW RiceHigh, the color looks rather "sleepy" IMO, and the bokeh also looks rather fuzzy (smoky)like IMO!...I like bokeh withthe "dept" andcrystal clearfeelingto it. (I don't know how to really explain it)

Probably this example could speak for it;
Attached Images

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 5:49 AM   #3

And when he posts something for an opinion, everyone ignores him.

This is so wrong.

I cannot comment on the pic as bokeh doesn't really mean that much to me.

Maybe now there is another post, someone with more expertise will comment.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 6:49 AM   #4

B..xyz have you got a complex or something ??
here in oz it has been day time on a weekend
half the world is still asleep

what do i know about bokeh?
not a lot
i just know what i like about a photo
to me the trees has to much depth of field to really consider the blurryness of the out of focus parts
now i am going to have to check the depth of field of my 50mm to see how it compares at f2.4

the mushroom has not enough depth of field
parts of the stalk are too fuzzy
(which particular pentax lens did you use?)
a couple more f stops may have been better
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 7:14 AM   #5

RiceHigh, I like the fact that the background is not distracting but I have never been a bokeh "aficionado". Generally I find that all of the high quality fast primes give pleasant out of focus highlights, but the greater the number of aperture blades the less distracting it is. My 24-135mm Sigma zoom produces better bokeh than my 28mm Ricoh prime lens because the Ricoh has only six blades and little hexagons sometimes show in the out of focus highlights. The Sigma has nine blades and gives highlights that are more like circles.

This image, to me at least, shows the product of a very capable lens but I would like to see an image with some background highlights before I made any specific statement.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 7:53 AM   #6
TDN

Benjamin, look at the times of the post. Not everyone is online at the same time...don't try to start needless arguments please. That post sounds almost like you want to cause an argument, which I'm sure you don't. So just pay attention to that please.

I actually find the fact that RiceHigh and you are finally posting pictures very positive

Now, on topic:

Hmm, there isn't that much bokeh in that picture to judge it...try putting the focus on a lighter subject with a slightly darker & more monotone background. Benjamin's pic is a good example of how to create a nice bokeh background.

TDN

P.S.: Benjamin, which camera did you end up buying? I was away when you bought it I think
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 9:17 AM   #7

What do you think about the bokeh of this picture?

Not much!!!!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 11:57 AM   #8

If I understand the term (and the concept), I do like your shot. When I look at the out of focus areas, beyond the DOF, I can still make out the definition of the trees, the bark and shapes. I like the idea of things out of focus that your mind can still interpret and overlay a mental image on.

SO, yes, this is good for me.

Jeff
jsundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 12:01 PM   #9

Benjamin, I have to have a different opinion on these. I like RIceHighs background better than yours. I don't mean any disrespect, but, I think each photo has a different intent.

His is showing sort of a lazy afternoon walk down the street, where the "sleepy" feel really works.

Your's is more of a vibrant nature, but the background seems very blurry.

So, like most things, there is no right answer, just different shades of sRGB.

Jeff
jsundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 12:20 PM   #10

Sorry guys, I feel sobad; becauseI think I should be opening up the can of worms, or else I would be feeling very guilty.

The mushroom shot above (posted by me) was not taken by me, instead, I found itin the Sony talk forumat dpreview. The shot was taken by a Sony DSC-R1, and itwas a very nicely taken shot. In addition, I still have not brought my new camera yet (Sounds even worse I know ); so all I am in nowis for some embarrassment, and criticism. (Oh please, mercy!)

I better first run away!:O

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote