Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 23, 2006, 9:50 AM   #11

Is that an eyecup that "closes" more around the eye? I would like something like that for my glasses. Would also help to getter a better view in the viewfinder.

I'm gonna look for a split prism!

Well, at least you do not have to argue who is using wich camera and when

Thanks,

Richard.
Ritro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:27 PM   #12

hi,

i don't think it exactly "closes" around my eye, but i also wear glasses and it's sure nicer having them against soft rubber than the metal rim of the viewfinder, plus it excludes a fair bit of extraneous light (might help with seeing the eposure data when shooting in bright sunlight that you mentioned).

my dl came with a rubber eye cup that worked fine except it was all soft rubber and just stretched over the viewfinder rim. i lost it hiking this summer (had the camera on the tripod over my shoulder). the new one doesn't work better than the old one except it clips on much more securely.

you're right, we never argue over who'll get to use the camera. i guess i'll have to re-assign her non-interest in photography to the plus side of the ledger! :G

all the best, eric
ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:55 PM   #13

I have a few noob questions. 1) What is a split screen? 2) What part of the camera does it attach to? 3) How does it make manual focusing more accurate? Does it magnify the viewfinder?
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 12:13 AM   #14

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
I have a few noob questions. 1) What is a split screen? 2) What part of the camera does it attach to? 3) How does it make manual focusing more accurate? Does it magnify the viewfinder?
1) A split screen is a focussing aid. It is a circle with a horizontal line through it. When the image is in focus, the 2 halves of the image line up.

2) It replaces the focussing screen inside the camera.

3) It doesn't necessarily make manual focussing more accurate. I find it easier sometimes to line up the 2 halves of the image, but you do need to be able to identify a vertical edge first.

4) No, it doesn't magnify the image.

Expensive ones are here

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Pe...at_pentax.html

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 12:44 AM   #15

Cool. Thanks for the info. So how do you install that split screen into the camera?
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 2:19 AM   #16

royce10 schreef:
Quote:
Cool. Thanks for the info. So how do you install that split screen into the camera?
Well, read this thread, you will find a lot of usefull info.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...+screen+pentax

I've been looking to the split-screen of an old Chinon again, and one of the differents is that you can look trough the split screen, composing and focussing, not loosing your objectgetting a sharp split screen by the matte screen you are more looking for the matte to become sharp because it is not so easy to see. The beep does help with manual focus. Why manual focus, because you could have, of buy, manual focus lenses. Like the Zenitar 16mm fish-eye.

What I did find is that a split level prism can give problems focussing with marco and long tele lenses. But I have no exprerience with that it's paper knowledge.

I did find an eyecup, I have to look in the guys shop if he has a prism, that wouldbring the shipping-costs a little down.

http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...:IT&ih=017

This one is in Germany, but I think you can find them elswere too.

Richard.

Ritro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 12:19 PM   #17

You are right, there can be problems with macro and long tele lenses, in as much as sometimes the top half of the circle goes very dark. But that could be to do with lack of light or small aperatures.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 8:19 AM   #18

ne more question regarding the focusing screen, is it actually useful since that the K100D has electronic focusing confirmation for manual focusing? does the screen indicate whether the adjustment should be in which direction?
sho33y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 7:35 PM   #19

royce10 wrote:
Quote:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...595536#p595536

I have one installed in my DL.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:13 PM   #20

sho33y wrote:
Quote:
ne more question regarding the focusing screen, is it actually useful since that the K100D has electronic focusing confirmation for manual focusing? does the screen indicate whether the adjustment should be in which direction?
All of the Pentax dSLRs have the confirmation, however, it isn't completely fool-proof. It's also hard to use for macro pictures, the DOF is so small. The screen doesn't indicate which direction to go, guess because my 35mm days were with manual focus lenses, you quickly get familiar with which way to go and don't think about it much.

How useful it will be depends on the person. The more I use the K100D, the less I feel like I miss the split screen. Having sharp lenses helps, and it really comes down to what you are used to.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote