Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 21, 2006, 3:30 AM   #1

I'm not getting used to the prism of the dl, I just cannot get sharp pictures in manual mode, with a chinon 50mm 1.7, the zenitar fish-eye, and some other lenses.

It's not the camera, my daughters are getting sharp pictures out of it. I only get them sharp with the kit lens and the 50-200mm pentax lens.

But then, I cannot read out the green info when it's bright weather so I'm often forced to do it all full-automatic. And I did not buy a dslr for full-automatic pictures.

I was thinking about the Katz prism for the DL, but that will cost me -with all taxes and shipping costs- almost 200 euros, nearly half the price of my camera.

Does someone know if these things are better on the K100d ? Or is it only marginal ?

I'm thinking about trading in my DL and get me a K100d, but would like to read some opinions first.

Richard.
Ritro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2006, 3:44 AM   #2

I know what you mean about manual focussing. I have the DL2, and after consulting with the guys here, I got one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Split-Image-Fo...QQcmdZViewItem

Not from this person, but you get the idea. A lot cheaper than Katz. Split screen works a lot better than a clear screen, and you can get them for around £20 all in. The only downside is that you don't get the tools with the ebay ones, but then it is so easy to change the screen that you don't really need them.

As far as I know the K100D has the same screen, but slightly larger.

Darren

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 8:36 AM   #3

Both DL and K100D have Penta-mirror, not prism. They're not good for MF. A good focus screen and penta-prism should help. Hope K10D improves on this. BTW, istD and DS both have penta-prism and slightly higher maginification ratio than DL and K100D.
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 9:57 AM   #4

I have both the DS (pentaprism) and the K100D (pentamirror). I find that the focus on both of them similar, so if you are having trouble with the DL, I don't think the K100D would help. You might want to look around for a DS and see if that helps. I've thought about the Katz prism, but haven't had enough trouble with focusing to justify the expense.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 9:57 AM   #5

I looked for the prism, it's much cheaper, I keep it in mind.

Well the k10d is "out of budget" right now. I might look to see if the dealer can lay his hands on aDS then. ButI might also wait for new models to come.

Thanks,

Richard.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:06 AM   #6

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
The only downside is that you don't get the tools with the ebay ones, but then it is so easy to change the screen that you don't really need them.
Having just changed my focusing screen I can honestly say that the supplied tool (modified set of tweesers) is a total waste of space (IMHO). It's too small & blocks your view when trying to fit the screen and has a protrusion which abuts against the surface of the screen.

I ended using a very small set of pointed noise pliers which grips the tab superbly & allows the screen to dropped nicely into place.

Wish I'd know about these screens before - the Pentax one has just cost me UK£35.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 9:15 PM   #7

hi,

i hesitate to ask but have you checked the diopter adjustment on the viewfinder?

also do you do a half press on the shutter button as you turn the focus ring (which will give you an audible beep to let you know when you're in focus)?

all the best, eric
ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 12:37 AM   #8

ejbrusselsprout schreef:
Quote:
hi,

i hesitate to ask but have you checked the diopter adjustment on the viewfinder?

also do you do a half press on the shutter button as you turn the focus ring (which will give you an audible beep to let you know when you're in focus)?

all the best, eric

Eric,

Yes, I do check the diopter quite a lot as I wear glasses and the rest of the family does not.

For the beep, I must say I did turn it of a long time ago.(Well some months ago I must say :-) )Never tried it before with manual lenses, but it seems to beeps with manual focus also. It's still dark here, but I will try it outside in a few hours. Could be a part of the sollution along with another prism.

(I have an old Chinon CE-4 body laying around, collecting dust, with a split prism,just don't know if it will fit, but I'm almost at the point that I'm gonna get it out of the Chinon if possible, after that....)

Update: tried it today at "Bobbejaanland" - Used to be a calm familypark, but I had to ride all the - very new- rollercoasters with my oldest so not much energy left for pictures...- it really works with manual lenses. I think that, togheter with a split prism, will make it what I need.

Thanks,

Richard.

Old Oct 22, 2006, 10:13 PM   #9

I'm glad you mentioned the dioper adjustment - Friday I was having trouble seeing the focus, but put it down to the cold I had and it was windy so my eyes were watering some, and I was wearing glasses instead of contacts. Today I was wearing contacts and still having trouble - thanks to your timely comment, I thought to check it. Problem solved.

I have noticed that the dioper adjustment on the K100D is a bit less protected than the DS. It's easier to adjust, but it is also easier to accidentally knock it off.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 7:44 AM   #10

happy to be of any help. recently replacedthe rubber eyecup on my dl and the new one (a genuine pentax "fl")is different from the original; first it has a stiff base that snaps in to the eyepiece slots much more securely but it also gives better access to the diopter slide, which may mean i'll have to watch it doesn't get moved accidently. no worries about other family members changing it, my wife, while she has many, many other sterling qualities, has little interest in photography
ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote