Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 21, 2006, 9:42 PM   #11

Ira

I think blogspot is a separate issue. I can't get to any blogs on there either.
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:12 PM   #12

jabilson007 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the link. Many good articles there. Especially the visual comparison of K100d to K10d.

I agree! Very interesting visual comparison. I had thought from what some had said that the K10d was going to be HUGE in comparison. From the pics shown there its not THAT much bigger than the K100. Of course I was going to buy one anyway:lol:but the comparison picsended some of my concerns about the K10 being a beast. I can't wait for the release! Meantime Im waiting for my brand new 50mm f1.4 to arive at the local camera store. lol
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 1:54 AM   #13

Quote:

Save yourself now, by a Nikon, Canon, Olympus, or anything but a Pentax!

Don't worry, I'll be gettinga Samsung!
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 3:21 AM   #14

Ben and all others, I would like to say some more things to address your concerns on the Pentax SR system, further to my K100D review and test report you quoted.

In short, let's classify the Time Value (shutter speed) chosen/set at the camera body into the following five ranges:-

1. Very fast ones, which are much much faster than the 1/effective 135 focal (called the "safe Tv" thereafter):

Whether you turn ON or OFF the SR will not have any significant effect on the final image quality, but there is only impact in battery life, that is, if you turned on the SR in this situation, it will still consume battery power (just simply because the SR has been turned on :-) when you turned on anything, it will consume power, right?).

2. Tv slightly faster than the "safe Tv", say, less than 1.5 stops:

There is no good to turn on the SR, as one should be able to shoot steadily provided that enough precaution is taken. The SR can affect the image in this situation.

3. Tv slightly slower than the "safe Tv", say, less than 1.5 stops:

Ditto to the case 2. But more techniques and precautions should be taken. If you don't have a fairly steady hand often, do turn on the SR system. Otherwise, try to turn it off. Or, slight blur will be introducted by the SR system after the "compensation".

4. Tv used significantly slower than the "safe Tv", say, more than 2 stops, but exclude long exposure:

It's better to turn on the SR in this case as the chance for success is unlikely. Do note that the SR does NOT *totally* elliminate ALL hand shaking - but it saves a picture, at least when viewing at smaller sizes.

5. Long exposures:

SR MUST be turned OFF as the sensor might be moving around randomly which VOID the picture! Depending on the position of the camera against the gavity, the degree of the errors will vary. Do note that the SR system interacts with the gravity to work! (in other words, it must take the gravity into account, otherwise it won't work - so, it will very probably not work in the Space :-))

---------

An interesting experiement any K100/K10 user can do is to turn on the SR, and then try to shake the camera body (gently but with some more force), one will not be difficult to compare it against when the SR is turned off -> You can feel that when the SR is turned ON, the sensor is *more difficult* to be shaked, as there exists electro-magnetic force that holds the sensor which is actually driven by the SR control system, which can be felt, too.

What I can also tell that the CCD sensor of the SR system is not absolutely stable (that can be moved if you move your camera intentionally), but in normal shooting situations, you won't move your camera a lot during shooting, will you? (I haven't tried to use my K100D for panning shoots, so, pls don't ask how it will behave for panning! ;-)) Bottom line is to try your every effort to turn the SR off if it is not needed, enough said.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 3:33 AM   #15

> An interesting experiement any K100/K10 user can do is to turn on the SR, and then try to shake the camera body (gently but with some more force), one will not be difficult to compare it against when the SR is turned off -> You can feel that when the SR is turned ON, the sensor is *more difficult* to be shaked, as there exists electro-magnetic force that holds the sensor which is actually driven by the SR control system, which can be felt, too.
>

I wish to amend that DO HOLD the shutter release button half way down to activate the SR during the experiment. Otherwise, you will feel NO difference.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 6:15 AM   #16

Thanks RiceHigh.

BTW, I thought about this>>>

If the S.R. is no miracle, I still have to keep my hand steady anyway! (So S.R. is not that important)

If I have to move the camera, the S.R. have to be turned off or else...

But when the S.R. is turned off while the camera is moving, the CCD is loose! (Both ways and I'm dead!) :lol:
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 6:53 AM   #17

????
if shake reduction is on and you shake the camera the sensor is supposed to move
if shake reduction is off the sensor is supposed to be still

are you saying that when shake reduction is on the sensor moves less than when shake reduction is off

that makes no sense

personally i have been taking photos for 30+ years and never had shake reduction
i learnt how to use a camera and use a tripod
i really dont understand what all this fuss is about

its about time to stop worrying about stuff and go take photos i reckon

no worries
she'll be right mate

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 8:04 PM   #18

I'm planning on buying the K10D with a Sigma 18-200mm, so I thought I'd test the lens firstly with a K100D to see if the quality was OK ( I'm impressed ).

While I was at it, I thought I'd see how good the Shake Reduction was, because I was concerned about some test reports, especially since I've been really impressed with SR in my KM A200.

These shots were all taken at 1/6 sec at f=200mm (300mm equivalent) while standing up without leaning against anything. (the shots were taken last week - the date hadn't been set in the camera). No prizes for guessing outside which shop in Sydney.

The first is the full frame - the others are unprocessed 600x400 pixel crops. The first crop is with SR on, the other crops are with SR off.

What's interesting is how much the shake varies when SR is off. That's one lesson I've learnt about shooting at slow shutter speeds - shoot lots, because maybe only one in five will be sharp - but you only need one good one !

This variation might explain the poor SR performance that RiceHigh saw in his K100D test (or a faulty camera !)

I'm sold on Pentax SR - 1/6 sec at 300mm equivalent ! That's 5.5 stops slower than the standard shutter speed rule ! 35 years experience without SR helps !

Mike

MikeAusA200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:08 PM   #19

Clearly shows that SR doesn't work. If you blow the first one up to 2X3 metres you'll find obvious traces of shake blur. (Note to the serious guys: this input is sarcastic.)

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:20 PM   #20

i am impressed

ps i like the artistic qualities of the last one
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote