Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 21, 2006, 7:30 AM   #1

Pentax K100D Shake Reduction mechanism question (Shaky parts & unstable???)

I really do not know anything scientific ortechnicalabout the K100D's Shake Reduction mechanism at all; other than what was specified by Pentax themselves.

However, I went through RiceHigh'sreview of the Pentax K100D's S.R.(The only detailed review of the Pentax K100D's S.R.) recently, and have a few questions in mind; that I would like to ask openly.

Is the CCD of the Pentax K100Dreally shaky when the Shake Reduction has been turned off? (The review said that you can hear the CCD moving and hitting against the sides, when you move the camera with the S.R. turned off) Wouldn't this affect the image quality negatively,when considering that the S.R. have to be switched off when panning etc...?

Secondly, does the S.R. of the Pentax K100D really consumes a lot of battery power when enabled? (Is that the reason why the battery life of the Pentax K100Dis always less than the models it succeeds on?)

Thirdly, the review seems to agree with my previous claim, that the build in S.R. is not that effective. According to the review, it seems that a steady hand makes little or no difference to a "slightly more shaky hand" with the S.R.. In fact, it did mentioned that the S.R. could actually make matters worse forthe steady handed!

Tell me that they are true/false, and (or) partially true. :-)

http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh/K1...ll_Review.html

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2006, 3:07 PM   #2

Maybe I should just answer w/ propaganda::-)

http://nedbunnell.blogspot.com/2006/...t-of-test.html

Or ask Ned.........

Anyways all your fears seem to have no corroborating sources except 1 and tons of happy campers (poor deluded souls).

But the sensor is not mechanically locked down when SR is off and "klunking" has been reported before but if it was an ISSUE, I would think there would be more chatter by now. Not everyone is intimidated by fanboys.As to the electromagnets sucking your "essence" (Dr Strangelove) if I remember my grade school physics enough it doesn't take much to run a few small electromagnets...and actually you are just energising coils to interact w/ some permanent magnets..in a percentage calculations ie CCD, processor,flash, meter CCD,AF sensorit doesnt take an IEEE to assume it's fairly low...

BTW: What camera did you pick?
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 3:33 PM   #3

Quote:

Or ask Ned.........

Anyways all your fears seem to have no corroborating sources except 1 and tons of happy campers (poor deluded souls).

But the sensor is not mechanically locked down when SR is off and "klunking" has been reported before but if it was an ISSUE, I would think there would be more chatter by now. Not everyone is intimidated by fanboys.As to the electromagnets sucking your "essence" (Dr Strangelove) if I remember my grade school physics enough it doesn't take much to run a few small electromagnets...and actually you are just energising coils to interact w/ some permanent magnets..in a percentage calculations ie CCD, processor,flash, meter CCD,AF sensorit doesnt take an IEEE to assume it's fairly low...

BTW: What camera did you pick?

OK, thanks for the small lecture, and the assurance.

I have decided to go for the Samsung GX-10 dSLR if everything goes well...I plan to get it with the kit lens. I have U.S. $1000 to spend on my next camera, so...the GX-10 it is (IF ALL GOES WELL ONLY!!). :-)

I guess you might want to know what is"my" meaning of "all goes well". Let me explain a bit;

The camera was stated by Samsung to be released in October, and to be priced at U.S. $1000 (I already have my SD card & tripods,so no worry about additional cost there).

Bad things happens if the camera should cost more than the stated price upon release, and (or) serious delays in launchingetc...Then I would mostprobably be skipping the GX-10 idea.

Regards.

BTW, how is the JPEG quality of the K100D? (Based on my opinion, I don't think it is that good [Perhaps BAD!]...However, I would liked to be proved WRONG!!)

Regards.

Old Oct 21, 2006, 3:46 PM   #4

What's a jpg??????.........
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 4:03 PM   #5

Quote:

What's a jpg??????.........
Here you are oreo57.:-)

Regards.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 4:35 PM   #6

I have owned an embarrasingly high number of Digi Cams and so am in a good position to judge the relative merits of variousmodels.

I have just bought the K100D and am totally satisfied with it and will be keeping it.

The original poster migt beassured to know that I have not found any of hisconcerns to be founded.

norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 6:59 PM   #7

Thanks for the link. Many good articles there. Especially the visual comparison of K100d to K10d.
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 8:54 PM   #8

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:

OK, thanks for the small lecture, and the assurance.

I have decided to go for the Samsung GX-10 dSLR if everything goes well...I plan to get it with the kit lens. I have U.S. $1000 to spend on my next camera, so...the GX-10 it is (IF ALL GOES WELL ONLY!!). :-)

I guess you might want to know what is"my" meaning of "all goes well". Let me explain a bit;

The camera was stated by Samsung to be released in October, and to be priced at U.S. $1000 (I already have my SD card & tripods,so no worry about additional cost there).

Bad things happens if the camera should cost more than the stated price upon release, and (or) serious delays in launchingetc...Then I would mostprobably be skipping the GX-10 idea.

Regards.

BTW, how is the JPEG quality of the K100D? (Based on my opinion, I don't think it is that good [Perhaps BAD!]...However, I would liked to be proved WRONG!!)

Regards.
Awful, the K100d jpeg is simply terrible, as bad as it gets. Heck the only way to improve it is to leave the lens cap on! The only thing worse than the jpeg performance is the performance in Raw! Save yourself now, by a Nikon, Canon, Olympus, or anything but a Pentax!

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 9:31 PM   #9

oreo57 wrote:
Quote:

Or ask Ned.........
I want to read that article but, yesterday evening a critical switching unit at the Aliant telecom headquarters in St. John's had a "minor" fire. It took one TV station of the air and shut down almost all telecommunications in the St. John's area (including ATMs). No problem for me except it also shut down internet access for the whole island of Newfoundland. It was back this morning but is still erratic (slow downs, errors, etc.)and I cannot get any blogspot sights.

Just shows how dependent we are on this technology.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:10 PM   #10

Ooops! Amazing that one fire can affect the whole island of Newfoundland! At least it didn't take out your power or something like that.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote