Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 22, 2006, 12:47 AM   #11

i simply plug the camera in
a window opens with a folder in it i click that and the 100PENTX folder appears
i rename that to todays date eg 061021
then choose move or copy
windows will copy the files into the folder where all my other dated folders are
when i get 700 megs worth they are burnt to cd and moved to an external

after checking the files downloaded ok the card can be formatted

thats the theory at least lol
i am a bit behind at the moment
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 9:12 AM   #12

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
Regarding transferring files with a card reader or with the USB cable, I know there was discussion at one time about the cable being slower than a card reader. But, I don't find it that slow and would rather do that than risk damaging the card pulling it out and into a card reader every day to download. I think this is a 6 of one, half dozen of the other thing.
I just feel that the connector on the camera is somewhat flimsy & more likely to fail than removing the SD Card - unlike Compact Flash, the card has gold fingers that slide against contacts so there shouldn't be any problems.

I used this method for a number of years with my Fuji S602 which uses Smartmedia that works along the same principle.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 9:31 AM   #13

Maybe my reluctance to pull the card out comes from my Smart Media card on my Olympus. My son nearly bent it in half trying to put it in one time. I decided after that it was best to just use the cable.

One thing I haven't done yet, and know I should, is burn to CD. I have my photos on my internal hard drive and an external 200GB drive. Can't put them on my laptop any more as I have 20.2 GB of photos and only a 20 GB drive on it.

Maybe this afternoon will be burning these to CD's.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 9:34 AM   #14

I guess my reluctance to use a card reader comes from my Smart Media in my other digital. My son nearly bent it in half one time. Decided after that to just use the cable. I don't find the door to be that flimsy. Although, must admit this card is much tougher than SM.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks for reminding me about burning to CD. I have everything on my internal hard drive and backup weekly to an external 200GB drive. But, keep meaning to burn to CD. That can be today's project. I used to also have a backup on my laptop. But, it's only a 20 GB drive and I have 20.2GB of photos now.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 9:36 AM   #15

Sorry about the double post. My computer indicated the first message didn't go through, so I rewrote it.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 10:35 AM   #16

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
Tip.
I always create a folder for the day's shoot with a brief description i.e. 061021-TestShot200mmLens and always download using a card reader as this is much faster (and safer IMHO) into that folder thus avoiding any possibly of over-writing files - it also helps in remembering where I 'dumped' them.

Personally, I don't like to use the USB interface with the camera to perform disk management. neither do I delete files from card in the card reader.

I prefer to format the card in the camera to wipe it clean thus ensuring the formated card is 100% compatible with the camera's Operating System.

Just wanted to throw my 2cents in... from what I was told at the camera shop (authorized Pentax dealer) class that I took after buying my ist-dl, you should remove the card from the camera & use a card reader to download to your computer. By using the USB cord to camera, you do run the risk of transferring any virus or spyware or whatever to your camera. So not only would you have a virus on your computer but also on the camera!

nhmom, I can definitely relate to your procedures! Something happens once & you just don't do that way anymore!:GBut, IMHO, using a card reader is the way to go & they are available on Ebay(if you're comfortable with it)for less than $20. I believe that I got my Sandisk reader which can read 8 different card styles for around $18 with shipping. I'm pretty sure that I don't need the other slots but it's nice to have if a friend comes over with vacation shots on a card & you can simply plug in their card & view them on your computer.

Good Luck & thanks for bringing the subject up as I'm learning about the index numbering from this, also!

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 11:09 AM   #17

wadue wrote:
Quote:
By using the USB cord to camera, you do run the risk of transferring any virus or spyware or whatever to your camera. So not only would you have a virus on your computer but also on the camera!
Interesting point, but I think it rather unlikely - maybe not impossible, but thenI'm authority on the subject.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 2:34 PM   #18

Interesting thought on the virus thing. But, if I had a virus on my computer that could get into the camera, wouldn't it just be transfered to the card and then transfered to the camera when I put it back in?

Would be much the same as getting a virus on a floppy I would suspect.

I do have a card reader built into my printer. Not sure if it still works or not. At one point it had quit. Another reason I switched to using my cable. I have since reinstalled the software for the printer and it may be workin again. I can try and see.

I really don't think there is a wrong or right way to transfer photos. Some prefer one, some prefer another all for various reasons. I can see pros and cons with both ways.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 3:25 PM   #19

Hi nhmom

Just thought i Would Inject my 2 cents here. If you should ever deciede to use your Printer for reading the Card, You might Be Very disappointed. I have a Hp
Photosmart 8250. I Used the card slot on it Exactly once. The transfer rate to the PC is Painfully Slow.
If you should decide thats the way you are going. Buy a seperate USB 2.0 Card reader. Its much Quicker!!

BK/Phil

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
Interesting thought on the virus thing. But, if I had a virus on my computer that could get into the camera, wouldn't it just be transfered to the card and then transfered to the camera when I put it back in?

Would be much the same as getting a virus on a floppy I would suspect.

I do have a card reader built into my printer. Not sure if it still works or not. At one point it had quit. Another reason I switched to using my cable. I have since reinstalled the software for the printer and it may be workin again. I can try and see.

I really don't think there is a wrong or right way to transfer photos. Some prefer one, some prefer another all for various reasons. I can see pros and cons with both ways.
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 5:28 PM   #20

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
Another question - Is the folder name for thecard? Mine is set to std right now. So, if I had a second card it would be labeled 102PENTX?
No. When you reach 10k, folder 101PENTX will be created and pictures will be put there.

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
I just feel that the connector on the camera is somewhat flimsy & more likely to fail than removing the SD Card - unlike Compact Flash, the card has gold fingers that slide against contacts so there shouldn't be any problems.
True. After a couple of accidental tries to take my camera while it is connected to PC (forgot to disconnect after transfer) my camera USB connection malfunctions. Either cable or slot is damaged.

wadue wrote:
Quote:
Just wanted to throw my 2cents in... from what I was told at the camera shop (authorized Pentax dealer) class that I took after buying my ist-dl, you should remove the card from the camera & use a card reader to download to your computer. By using the USB cord to camera, you do run the risk of transferring any virus or spyware or whatever to your camera. So not only would you have a virus on your computer but also on the camera!
I must say that your camera shop people have very big imagination and very little knowledge about computer viruses and spyware. This is not an issue at all unless your camera runs Windows CE You'll need virus, implemented specifically to target your camera model. Do you believe some evil person spent hundreds or even thousands of hours implementig that virus? In fact, I haven't heard of virus, targeting hardware devices' firmware.

Talking about spyware is absolute nonsense.

Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote