Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 21, 2006, 9:02 AM   #1

This may be a dumb question, but I don't want to make the same mistake I made with my last digital.

I recently purchased the K100D and bought one 1GB card for it. I have taken tons of shots with it and find that I am downloading photos almost daily to really see how things worked. So, hadn't had a need for a second card yet.I know I will need to get one eventually.

I want to understand how this photo labeling works so I don't lose photos like I did on my old camera. On it, I was swapping out cards and taking photos on both cards. For whatever reason the cards were naming the photos the same and when I downloaded them and it told me the image already existed did I want to replace, I told it "yes to all". It wiped out all my photos from the other card. I didn't realize this was happening for months because I wasn't wiping out the photos on the card right away. So, each time thought it was just that the images I'd already downloaded were showing as duplicates.

On the new camera, currently I am using the one without the date where the files are numbered sequentially. When I download photos I look on my computer to see what the last photo number was I downloaded and start from there.

Oh, another thing, I just use Windows Explorer to copy and paste the photos from the camera to the computer. Not the camera software. I feel more in control when I can see where the photos are coming from and going to on my hard drive.

Thanks for any input on this.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2006, 9:36 AM   #2

I have a DL and two 512mb cards for it. I shot a lot of raw this Summer and each card was good for 46 pictures. When I would swap cards, it just starts at the number I left off. I also use windows explorer and just move the pictures from the cards to a directory. I know your not supposed to do that in case something goes wrong, but I guess something can always go wrong with anything you do. By moving them, I don't have to delete the card, it is already empty. So far its worked fine (knock on wood) and is quick to do. I also can move say 5 pictures if I only took a few and it will start withthe nextnumber where I left off. I think the camera'sinternal software keeps track of all this. I know with my Fuji602, it started over each time- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 9:53 AM   #3

If the Pentax K100D is the same as my *istDs (& it most probably is), then it supports two types of File numbering - see attached image.

When set to SerialNo, the last file number is renumbered so that when a new card is inserted, it continues the numeric sequence.

Reset, on the other hand, will always start numbering from 001 when a blank new card is fitted or a card is formatted (best way to clear images from a memory card IMHO). If there are files left on the card, then it continues from the last number.

Out of interest, there are some cameras that do not support continuous numbering and always start numbering from 001.

Tip.
I always create a folder for the day's shoot with a brief description i.e. 061021-TestShot200mmLens and always download using a card reader as this is much faster (and safer IMHO) into that folder thus avoiding any possibly of over-writing files - it also helps in remembering where I 'dumped' them.

Personally, I don't like to use the USB interface with the camera to perform disk management. neither do I delete files from card in the card reader.

I prefer to format the card in the camera to wipe it clean thus ensuring the formated card is 100% compatible with the camera's Operating System.
Attached Images

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:10 AM   #4

The K100D works the same - use the sequential numbering option and it will continue to number upwards. I don't quite go so far as to download into separate folders because I don't take that many pictures. I just put them in one particular folder until I have enough to burn a CD. I probably should get an external hard drive for backup, but its just not that big of a deal for me.

I have started printing contact sheets of my disks so I can find particular photos faster.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 12:07 PM   #5

With My DS, All My picture are Numbered Sequentually. So Switching Cards the number sequence just Continues.
Like catbells, I create a Folder for Each Shoot With a Distintive Name and Download the pictures using a card reader. I Do not delete the pictures until i have backed them up unto a Ext harddrive(Format in Camera only). Then I burn all the Pictures to a DVD-RW/s. After A Year i then back them all up to DVD and Archieve them In Two Different places. Copys are still On My PC for any use I need.
I always have aleast 3 cards on Me when i am Shooting. Due to My Upcoming Cruise , i will Be ordering at Least 2-3 more

Phil

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 12:13 PM   #6

Thanks for the input.

I had seen that description in the manual, but wasn't sure it meant that if you put a new card it in would continue with the last number "in the camera" that you left off with. Not the last number on that particular card. Which is what I think my Olympus was doing.

Another question - Is the folder name for thecard? Mine is set to std right now. So, if I had a second card it would be labeled 102PENTX?
Old Oct 21, 2006, 12:15 PM   #7

Very nice, Catbells, IMO You gave the best answer- and guys/gals- please RTFM- most answers are hidden there :-) I shoot on all my SD cards wih K100d by Pentax, Z750 by Casio and Optio-S by Pentax (yes, the same 2003 year Altoids box super mini...) and have never had a problem due to different folders on cards and sequentil numbering (even K100D and Optio-S will not make any mess although the CCCCxxxx tag is the same- I simply download them to different folders)

Best, JR

Reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 1:45 PM   #8

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
I had seen that description in the manual, but wasn't sure it meant that if you put a new card it in would continue with the last number "in the camera" that you left off with. Not the last number on that particular card.
Only when set to SerialNo.

If you're set to Reset, it would carry on from last number on the card.

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
Is the folder name for thecard? Mine is set to std right now. So, if I had a second card it would be labeled 102PENTX?
As far as I'm aware, the card folder name is preset to 100Pentx.

I can't find any information on changing this or renaming this within the camera - obviously, it can be renamed in Explorer but I've already expressed my views on doing such things outside of the camera OS.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 3:39 PM   #9

i know you can change where the cam starts numbering by loading a file into the folder with the appropriate name and inserting it into the cam. i just tried to change the prefix to something other than IGP or IMGP but that doesn't work. you can however change the folders name as i just did by changing it to 101PENTX. it also carried over to a different card..

roy
Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:39 PM   #10

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
As far as I'm aware, the card folder name is preset to 100Pentx.

I can't find any information on changing this or renaming this within the camera - obviously, it can be renamed in Explorer but I've already expressed my views on doing such things outside of the camera OS.
On page 176 in the manual it states,

Std: folder named xxxPENTX

Date: folder named xxx_MMDD

This is right above the file # in the menu for settings.

Regarding transfering files with a card reader or with the USB cable, I know there was discussion at one time about the cable being slower than a card reader. But, I don't find it that slow and would rather do that than risk damaging the card pulling it out and into a card reader every day to download. I think this is a 6 of one, half dozen of the other thing.

For Reps - I had read the manual. I didn't understand what it meant. It does not tell you what happens when you use multiple cards. To me it was one of those "Delete button: used to delete photos" type of explanation. I was trying to understand more fully exactly what would happen with multiple cards and the sequencing since I'd had problems in the past with another camera.

Thanks for the input.